Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 01:04 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times

Advertisements

"I was planning on moving to NYC from Florida. When I looked up apartments I couldn't even afford a studio apartment. I can't believe they can get away with charging so much for apartments that are not that special. And when you include roaches and rodents it just isn't worth it. I would have to have at least 3 jobs just to make rent.

When I checked Chicago apartments I was surprised to find ones I could afford. I don't need a place with marble floors and chandeliers in every room type of place but I want something nice for my money.

How are salaries in Chicago? I hope they are better than they are in Florida.
I live in Lakeland which is in between Tampa and Orlando. Finding any good paying jobs here is near to impossible and with the price of gas I can't go to Tampa or Orlando to look for a better job."
------

As someone who just moved to Tampa from Chicago, first, gas prices are a lot more expensive in Chicago than they are here (about $1/gallon more in Chicago). But, you can get around without a car. Minimum wage was bumped up in Illinois, which is actually likely to decrease some jobs because employers have to make up the difference. As someone suggested availability and salaries are dependant on the field. Keep in mind that Lakeland is extremely affordable compared to Chicago (much cheaper than NYC, but much more expensive than Lakeland). You will likely make more money, but make up that difference in expenses. Here is a comparison between Tampa and Chicago:
If you move from Tampa FL to Chicago IL...

Groceries will cost: 10.222% more
Housing will cost: 33.976% more
Utilities will cost: 13.585% more
Transportation will cost: 7.349% more
Healthcare will cost: 15.583% more

If you want to move because it is what you want to do, that's great. Just keep everything in mind.

Last edited by jessiegirl_98; 08-19-2007 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: adding quote to clarify response
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 02:29 PM

186 posts, read 1,118,723 times
yeah but my case is different im from New York remember? so its actually all CHEAPER FOR ME so its a win win situation

Old 08-19-2007, 02:37 PM

Sorry, that was a reply to riwrites who had popped in with a tag question to yours (should have quoted his in mine to make it clearer)! In your situation, yes, you are from NYC and it would be a TON cheaper :-)

Old 08-20-2007, 09:15 AM

319 posts, read 1,250,595 times
i'm so excited because my new apt in chicago is $300 less than my apt in bklyn. i've moved out further and further from manhattan in the past several years. now i may as well be in nj. i like that in chicago, i can live closer to civilization. my husband and i are young-ish and still like to go out a lot for dinner, drinks, shows, etc. nyc is increasingly becoming one big ripoff and cost of living is a cruel, cruel joke. the things that excite me about my apt are so silly but having lived in railroad bklyn apts with maybe 3 windows and 1 closet...having a dishwasher is just like xmas morning to me. wow. and a washer/dryer.. after shlepping blocks with my granny cart i can just do it in my bldg?? what a concept. and ceiling fans? 5 closets?? i feel like such a nerd getting excited about these things, but seriously, i do feel i have gotten mroe for my money by a long shot.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadrajabali View Post
yeah but my case is different im from New York remember? so its actually all CHEAPER FOR ME so its a win win situation
so far the only thing that seems higher than nyc is gas. other than that, it seems to break even or actually be a lot less good luck!

Old 08-21-2007, 09:13 AM

In my brother's words when he visited my 3 bedroom coachhouse that I was paying $1500 for "If I lived in Chicago I could live like a king," (pays over $1700 for his brooklyn studio)

Old 08-21-2007, 02:11 PM

186 posts, read 1,118,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
In my brother's words when he visited my 3 bedroom coachhouse that I was paying $1500 for "If I lived in Chicago I could live like a king," (pays over $1700 for his brooklyn studio)
Wow, he probably lives real close to Manhattan for a STUDIO to be THAT EXPENSIVE

Old 08-21-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadrajabali View Post
Wow, he probably lives real close to Manhattan for a STUDIO to be THAT EXPENSIVE
my friend had a studio in p slope that was 1800 and now his studio in overrated williamsburg is a bargain at 1750. you get more for your $ in bklyn, suuuuure... you might be able to stretch your legs out when you open that futon and not hit the wall

my 1st apt in nyc 8 yrs ago was a dirty, rat infested, 5 floor walkup, 2br on mulberry street between canal and hester, for 2250 that i shared with (at one point) 2 girls - no living room. this was a lot for me at the time (i was 22)and i guess it even feels like a lot now. i don't know how i did it it (it was such a dump) - i could never again. what a way to live - creative cooking with ramen, lol. moved farther out with every subsequent apt, but had bigger and bigger spaces - it's a tradeoff in nyc.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:50 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
lol, sounds like in New York City people are pretty much roughing it unless they are forking over a TON of money or living WAY outside of Manhattan (probably even outside of the 5 borough's).

Old 08-22-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
lol, sounds like in New York City people are pretty much roughing it unless they are forking over a TON of money or living WAY outside of Manhattan (probably even outside of the 5 borough's).
that's nyc in a nutshell - it's a tradeoff - high rent and nice neighborhood or more affordable (NOT cheap) rent in a dumpy/rundown or really lame area far from nyc (within outer boros or nj though - bronx, bklyn, si, queens, NOT manhattan. manhattan is way $$$$ outer boros can be affordable but have $$$ parts too). there comes a point at which either becomes the straw that breaks the camel's back (or you just stay and complain - see nyc forum...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago