Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 02:54 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Downtown in Chicago is usually meant to include the highrise urban core/CBD. Sorry it doesn't match the NYC definition.

I dont know what your sorry about; the phrase "downtown" was coined in New York where it has actual geographic meaning. I just find it confusing that my Chicago friends say I live "downtown" but I live in the Gold Coast, how is that "downtown"? My friend who lives in the west loop, claims he lives downtown too, but he is west of the Kennedy, and there are few highrises over there, is that downtown? Just seems to be a confusing, non agreed upon term in Chicago (and many other cities)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 04:13 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I dont know what your sorry about; the phrase "downtown" was coined in New York where it has actual geographic meaning. I just find it confusing that my Chicago friends say I live "downtown" but I live in the Gold Coast, how is that "downtown"? My friend who lives in the west loop, claims he lives downtown too, but he is west of the Kennedy, and there are few highrises over there, is that downtown? Just seems to be a confusing, non agreed upon term in Chicago (and many other cities)
Welcome to the bizarre evolution of the English language. I mean, we park on driveways and drive on parkways! Where would Jerry Seinfield be without it?

Old 08-24-2011, 04:54 PM

39 posts, read 107,737 times
Thanks for all the replies. I must admit, I’m a bit surprised that some of you seem baffled by the fact that I want to live downtown. I’m sorry I wasn’t more specific about my definition of “downtown”, though this poster nailed it right on the head:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Actually, many - probably most - people include places like Printers Row, Streeterville, N. Michigan Ave, the West Loop and River North in the definition of "downtown" for Chicago. If "The Loop" and downtown were always synonymous, you'd probably never hear the term "downtown" used in Chicago.
Semantics aside, the current and possibly the tourist definition of downtown, includes the following neighborhoods:

Magnificent mile, River north, Printer’s row, Streetville, The loop, West loop. And according to even looser definitions, may include Gold Coast and Old Town.

I do realize that this definition may be broad in comparison to the original meaning of “downtown”, but when you do an apartment search those are the neighborhoods that will usually come up if you specify “downtown” in you search query.

I can not afford to spend $1200+ in rent, plus $200 for the parking space in most of those places. When I see something for a lot less, I worry that it may not be a safe area. I simply don’t know Chicago like you do and I need your help with pinpointing a safe and affordable neighborhood that is still in close proximity to the above definition of downtown.

Thank you.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:57 PM

101 posts, read 171,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orelaf View Post
First post, but have been reading these forums for over a year now. Thanks to you all for helping me finally make a decision about a place I want to relocate to permanently.

I'm a week away from moving to Chicago. Have several job interviews lined up (entry level positions for a recent, but older college grad) and about $15,000 saved up. I am not even going to ask whether I can afford the rent in the prime downtown locations, even though that is my ultimate goal. My hat's off to those who think they can make the move with $2500 in their pocket and no job lined up- the world would be a far worse place without the dreamers.

I know I can't live downtown, but I would still like to enjoy the life-style. Is there a neighborhood in Chicago that's in close to medium proximity to downtown, with an abundance of public transportation, where it'd be safe for my girl-friend to walk by herself when it's dark and where a one-bedroom apartment can be found for $800-$900 per month?

I myself have just come to grips with reality and realized that it doesn't make sense to live downtown if you have no money left over to actually enjoy it. I also don't see myself living in the distant suburbs, because I just don't feel the energy of a big city there. A good place for me would still feel like a city, but be affordable nonetheless.

Thank you all.
Despite how this thread devolved into a discussion of the definition of "downtown", I'm pretty sure this person just wants to live somewhere in the city.

OP, there's a whole lot of Chicago between the Loop and its distant suburbs. All kinds of neighborhoods that's still Chicago, but each having it's own identity, personality, and name. You'll notice places like Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Hyde Park, Wicker Park/Bucktown, Near North get mentioned. I would look those neighborhoods up as they fit your price range and description desiring general urban living. Near North is the closest of them all to downtown, but barely falls in your price range (if at all).

The site www.Domu.com helps give you a very general (i.e. stereotypical and watered-down) idea of the neighborhoods, along with rent ranges, and possible vacancies. It helped me a bit when I was looking for an apartment. I ended up in Lakeview East.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:29 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
Lakeview seems like a good compromise. You can get a good sized one bedroom in the price range she's describing, and it's just a short commute to downtown. You have lots of good bars and restaurants there, good shopping, and access to the lake. Plus you can get a true one bedroom and not be far from the action. It seems like a good choice to me anyway. The other option is to do near North in a studio. But for that price range I doubt you'd be able to find anything bigger than a sardine can. I'd personally prefer to have an actual bedroom and be a few minutes away. Fold-out sleeper sofas just have a certain embarrassment about them, for me anyhow. Can't get laid on those things!

Old 08-24-2011, 07:23 PM

427 posts, read 463,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
My friend who lives in the west loop, claims he lives downtown too, but he is west of the Kennedy, and there are few highrises over there, is that downtown? Just seems to be a confusing, non agreed upon term in Chicago (and many other cities)
Well, if one is west of the Kennedy, one is in Greektown anyway, not West Loop. Greektown or whatever someone calls the area west of the Kennedy, is not Downtown.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:28 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,998 times
I've been considering downtown (or more specifically -- River North) recently myself only because I would be steps away from work, still be near some restaurants, other places, etc. and don't need a whole lot of space in my place (a large studio would work for me). The only thing I'm worried about is whether it would be a good area for someone around my age (26).

Old 08-24-2011, 08:09 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

What eevee means is that s/he can't afford those things. If it was really that s/he didn't personally care for those things, s/he'd say that. But s/he decrees that they're boring, or that things don't exist (I assure you, they do) which seems pretty obviously a defensive posturing. Which is silly. Everyone is priced out of certain things, but that doesn't make those things bad.
nope, I meant exactly what I said. Do not be a troll and put words in my mouth, you don't know me. Frankly, the stores on the Mag Mile are nice and I've done my fair share of shopping there, but they aren't that special to be honest. most can be found anywhere in the country. I prefer smaller, more unique boutiques and vintage stores. Frankly, name 3 stores downtown that can't be found elsewhere?

as for restaurants, there are good ones downtown, but the selection is limited. I like in Lakeview now and have access to African, Thai, Japanese, Indian, and other cuisines. Can I find all that in downtown-and they won't be closed after 8pm? are you you a Tilted Kilt/Panda Express fan and can't dream of anything else beyond these?

go away if you can't be helpful

to the OP, what exactly are you looking for in a neighborhood? you really haven't specified this. are you looking for dive bars? 5 star restaurants? dance clubs? punk joints that play dub step all night? indie theaters? lots of green space? family friendly? frat boy friendly? lots of thrift and vintage places? A Gap and Akira on every corner? galleries rented by working artists? a suburban feel? the options are many and quite varied and, if you're willing to sacrifice on apartment size and amenities in some locations, you can find a small place almost anywhere outside of downtown (I know someone renting in the gold Coast for under $900. it's a small studio w/ an aclove, but it works for her). there used to be a thread around here that listed threads that discussed various neighborhoods along w/ various threads from other newcomers

Last edited by eevee; 08-24-2011 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 PM

39 posts, read 107,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post

to the OP, what exactly are you looking for in a neighborhood? you really haven't specified this. are you looking for dive bars? 5 star restaurants? dance clubs? punk joints that play dub step all night? indie theaters? lots of green space? family friendly? frat boy friendly? lots of thrift and vintage places? A Gap and Akira on every corner? galleries rented by working artists? a suburban feel? the options are many and quite varied and, if you're willing to sacrifice on apartment size and amenities in some locations, you can find a small place almost anywhere outside of downtown (I know someone renting in the gold Coast for under $900. it's a small studio w/ an aclove, but it works for her). there used to be a thread around here that listed threads that discussed various neighborhoods along w/ various threads from other newcomers
I like to be in the middle of everything as soon as I set my foot outside. Galleries, theaters, museums, bars, restaurants, clubs, beautiful architecture, lots of small shops and lots of people on the sidewalks. I like to try new things and to visit a new place every day. I like vibrancy and when things are constantly happening. I like to have an access to reliable and frequent public transportation so I don't have to worry about scarce downtown parking and/or drinking and driving. It's pretty much the reason why I'm moving to Chicago.

I couldn't live in a studio though. Tried it with my girlfriend while in college, no thanks.

On a side note: has anyone here used the services of chicagoapartmentfinders.com or heard of them? Their website is really nice and just as informative as the domu.com (thanks to the poster who pointed me there.) They say their services don't cost the renter anything, but is it actually true? Am I better off using an agency as my guide, or just by going house to house on my own (I will have a car)?

Old 08-24-2011, 09:25 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,998 times
Quote:
On a side note: has anyone here used the services of chicagoapartmentfinders.com or heard of them? Their website is really nice and just as informative as the domu.com (thanks to the poster who pointed me there.) They say their services don't cost the renter anything, but is it actually true? Am I better off using an agency as my guide, or just by going house to house on my own (I will have a car)?
I typically avoid apartment finder services because their motives are to get you in somewhere as fast as possible and not so much find something that actually fits your desires. Some of these people get paid some sort of commission for placing you somewhere so their motives are based on that and nothing else.

You're asking for quite a low budget for what you want. You can find a studio or even a vintage 1-bedroom apartment in Lakeview for around $800-900 if you look hard enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago