Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:50 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I don't think you really mean "downtown". What we mean by that term is the central business area - not that many people live there period, and it's certainly not a hotbed of young transplants. If you've been reading the forum for a year, you should be familiar with the standard newbie neighborhoods. There are plenty of threads that have addressed this.
Actually, many - probably most - people include places like Printers Row, Streeterville, N. Michigan Ave, the West Loop and River North in the definition of "downtown" for Chicago. If "The Loop" and downtown were always synonymous, you'd probably never hear the term "downtown" used in Chicago.

Taken together, that definition of downtown has the fastest-growing population in the state, some of the best restaurants in the nation, and a fair bit to do. Plus, it has excellent transit to most of the rest of the Chicago area. Most of it is expensive, though, so if you'd be scraping by just to make rent in the area then, yeah, it'd seem quite boring since you'd be unable to afford what those areas do have to offer.

To the O.P. you can find plenty of places with a small, older 1-bedroom for that price range. For your needs, I'd recommend either West Lakeview, where you typically get a little more for your money than East Lakeview, but still have decent access to transit, or perhaps the far eastern edge of Lakeview, which has some good deals on older buildings. They won't be great apartments in your price range, but there should be a few in your range and the area is great, there are good express buses to Michigan Ave, and it's a nice intro to Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
what exactly s the "downtown lifestyle"? Downtown, to be blunt, is rather boring. sure you've got shopping on the Mag Mile, museums, and theaters, but that's pretty much it. Good bars are hard to come by, ditto good restaurants, and the shopping off the Mag Mile isn't that great.
What eevee means is that s/he can't afford those things. If it was really that s/he didn't personally care for those things, s/he'd say that. But s/he decrees that they're boring, or that things don't exist (I assure you, they do) which seems pretty obviously a defensive posturing. Which is silly. Everyone is priced out of certain things, but that doesn't make those things bad.

Last edited by emathias; 08-24-2011 at 11:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 11:52 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Basically this:The official boundaries as designated by the City of Chicago are The Chicago River to the north and west, Roosevelt Road to the south, and Lake Michigan to the east. As the downtown area and its many high-rises expanded out past the official community area over the years, "The Loop" has been used more generally to denote the entire downtown as opposed to just the officially designated community area.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:58 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Actually, many - probably most - people include places like Printers Row, Streeterville, N. Michigan Ave, the West Loop and River North in the definition of "downtown" for Chicago. If "The Loop" and downtown were always synonymous, you'd probably never hear the term "downtown" used in Chicago.
But are those people that grew up in the area, or people from elsewhere applying the definitions from wherever they're from to Chicago?

When I was a kid, we'd go downtown to see Santa at Marshall Fields on State St or see my dad at work at 216 W. Adams. (That building no longer exists.) Definitely downtown is bigger than just the Loop, but I think the OP was using the term downtown rather loosely and not necessarily meaning what he thinks he meant. Unless he really doesn't know Chicago that well at all.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:52 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I have been in Chicago for 2.5 months, and I still don't really know what "downtown" is
It's more of a mindset, really.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:56 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
You can easily get a studio and probably a small 1 bedroom in Lakeview under $900. That's almost certainly your best bet. Once you get to know the city you might find another neighborhood you prefer, but Lakeview is a great start.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:12 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
It's more of a mindset, really.

I grew up in Manhattan (Washington Heights), and when one said "downtown" the thought of a gritty, casual individual living in the village came to mind (that has since changed), and "uptown" was more sophisticated, upper class (still sorta holds true today). I never really knew the term downtown was used outside of NYC growing up, and it really doesn't make sense in Chicago (or anywhere else). "downtown chicago is more east than anything; not really "down".

Old 08-24-2011, 01:16 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Downtown in Chicago is usually meant to include the highrise urban core/CBD. Sorry it doesn't match the NYC definition.

Last edited by Vlajos; 08-24-2011 at 01:27 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 01:21 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
back in the day natives of chicago meant basically the loop if they said downtown. there were not people really living there as many of the new residential areas like south loop and west loop were skid rows. so if you said lets go downtown, you meant the loop or state st.

what i find is a lot of suburbanites and those not native to chicago say downtown even if its Lincoln park. I have a friend from virginia who says her son lives downtown but he actually lives in roscoe village. they think anywhere in the inner type city areas are downtown. not.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:13 PM

818 posts, read 2,171,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I grew up in Manhattan (Washington Heights), and when one said "downtown" the thought of a gritty, casual individual living in the village came to mind (that has since changed), and "uptown" was more sophisticated, upper class (still sorta holds true today). I never really knew the term downtown was used outside of NYC growing up, and it really doesn't make sense in Chicago (or anywhere else). "downtown chicago is more east than anything; not really "down".
Strange that although the New York way of distinguishing "Uptown" and "Downtown" seems to make more sense, Chicago's use of "Downtown" to mean the center of town seems way more commonplace across the country, with most cities' referring to their central business districts as "Downtown"

Old 08-24-2011, 02:27 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
back in the day
Back in the day my grandmother used to call things *****, and she wasn't talking about homosexuals.

Language evolves.

EDIT: LOL, see, language has evolved to the point city-data even considered that five-letter word starting with q to be worthy of censoring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago