Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2007, 04:09 PM

84 posts, read 556,162 times

Advertisements

I'm from Wisconsin (Madison Area) and I'm about a year or so away from graduating from college and I'll have a degree in Marketing when it's all said and done. I'm looking to distance myself from home, at least a little bit. I have always loved Chicago, ever since I can remember. I've been there a handful or two times and it never gets old.

My first question is, and maybe it's a dumb one, but what kind of opportunities do I have in my field, marketing? I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that I'll be able to find a job, but if anyone could get into it a little more maybe, that'd be great.

My second question is rent. I have no idea what my salary would be, but I am guessing that maybe I would be starting between 30k-35k a year. Is that enough to live fairly comfortably in Chicago and is it enough to live in a fairly nice, high-rise complex that is in or near the downtown area?

Any other information/advice would be great.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 08:06 AM

131 posts, read 659,516 times
You will have no trouble finding a marketing job. Probably more of a Marketing Assistant or Associate to start out.

30-35k is plenty to live on.. many in Chicago live on that income. However, you are not likely to live in a high rise downtown with that salary.

Look in neighborhoods outside of downtown that are near public transportation. What type of are are you looking for? This will help us to steer you towards particular neighborhoods and their rent ranges.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:51 PM

84 posts, read 556,162 times
What about like a mid-rise apartment complex? It doesn't have to be a luxury high-rise building, but I've always wanted to live in a big city, up on one of the higher floors of an apartment complex and be able to overlook a lot of stuff around me.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:46 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
You still couldn't afford it downtown (unless you have no loan or car expenses and/or budget really well). A 1 bedroom downtown in a mid- or high rise can be well over $1000 (more up to $2000) and even a studio is well over $1000 (plus utilities...remember, in chicago your monthly gas bill alone can be anywhere from $100-300 per month). But, with your description, you can still find a high/mid-rise building that is not downtown and have plenty of stuff to do/overlook around you. Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville, Lakeview all have highrises (and don't underestimate the low rises, you may spend less money for a nicer place)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: