Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 06:42 PM

13 posts, read 29,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I'm sorry. It's so much more appropriate to say the OP is crazy and on crack than to say he doesn't like to live around black people. I mean, everyone was having a good old time calling him a crackhead for saying Oak Park is a bad neighorhood and I had to interupt and say no, he's just a racist. It was so un-called for. Talk about the wrong place and the wrong time. It was an outburst like Kanye West and I should have held my tounge. Oh, I should have held my tounge.

hehe
I didn't say anything about black people...

I just like more Uptown than Oak Park.. I wrote the reasons why, please read my previous posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I did. You said outside of downtown, there's a lot of bad neighborhoods in Oak Park. What you haven't explained is why you think these are bad neighborhoods.
for example, it's not safe to walk on Austin Avenue, especially in the evening time. you can check crime statistics..

Old 07-24-2011, 06:58 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.ntcp View Post
for example, it's not safe to walk on Austin Avenue, especially in the evening time. you can check crime statistics..
This is true about Austin Avenue but not good enough to justify your broader statement.

I just looked up the crime stats for Oak Park (as a whole). It looks like it fluctuates year to year - from slightly above the national average to slightly below it.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Oak-Park-Illinois.html

Old 07-24-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
This is true about Austin Avenue but not good enough to justify your broader statement.

I just looked up the crime stats for Oak Park (as a whole). It looks like it fluctuates year to year - from slightly above the national average to slightly below it.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Oak-Park-Illinois.html
Oak park is like an island surrounded by not that good neighborhoods... one step away and it's Austin Avenue and similar neighborhoods..

There are only several blocks - Lake and Oak Park, Lake and Harlem, etc, where you can find restaurants and a movie theater.

I don't have anything against Oak Park.. but I just personally like more vibrant life which you can see for example in Uptown that I already mentioned.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:37 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
If he doesn't like Oak Park, I don't have a problem with that. Everyone has their personal preferences. I still don't see how Northbrook makes sense though. Also, one of the requirements listed is "normal school" for kid. If living in Uptown, is CPS normal enough?

Old 07-24-2011, 08:02 PM

I am sorry, what is CPS?

Old 07-24-2011, 08:31 PM

my concerns are

1) Average commute time:

Oak Park to Northbrook - 35-40 minutes by expressway
Oak Park to Uptown - 55 minutes - 1 hr through the city

2) Driving through the city is in general more stressful then by expressway

Old 07-24-2011, 08:32 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
CPS is Chicago Public Schools.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:47 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,943 times
Is there any reason Northbrook is preferable to somewhere like Elmhurst or Villa Park that is closer to Oak Park?

Old 07-26-2011, 11:46 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It is likely the OP's brain isn't running on all cylinders.
To be charitable, the OP could be a non-native and not altogether familiar with American culture/society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago