Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 12:01 AM

4 posts, read 26,897 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm somewhat new to the forum, actually I've been reading for a couple of months. Anyway, I've done some searches about my question, but it's pretty difficult with all the threads about moving.

I'm planning to move from Denver to Chicago at some point next year. My question is, how do people typically move furniture and/or large furnishings into a high rise apartment? Also, how do you deal with the loading and unloading of the truck if it's in a heavy traffic area?

My questions may seem silly, but I've never lived in a high rise or large city area and I was just curious.

I'm a single woman and will most likely need to get movers to help me with the move, but I just was wondering if anyone had some words of advice or information on how moving is typically handled regarding the above.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 01:35 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Most highrises have a loading area and freight elevators. Also beware that many of them charge a move-in and/or move-out fee.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:06 AM

258 posts, read 760,130 times
The building manager will be happy to fill you in on the details. Often it's restricted to daytime hours on weekdays.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:28 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The big high rises (20+ stories) all have nice loading docks and freight elevators. It is much more iffy in older "mid rise" (bigger than 3 less than 20) buildings that may have only a normal passenger elevator. The best moving companies will literally scout out such sites and, for a fee, plan out exactly how manyntrips up the elevator it will take get your stuff in your unit. DIY is back breaking / knee destroying hard work. You end up taking the stairs as you get frustrated having all your stuff "staged" in the courtyard / lobby.

In some ways it is even worse in the places that are "only" 5 or less stories and have no elevators, as stairways tend to ne narrow and difficult to get any furniture in - out..

In parts of the city with permit paking you might want to think about calling alderman'ss office and asking about move-in permit to get the truck unloaded.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:49 AM

491 posts, read 1,120,951 times
The building will have an alley and a freight elevator the building manager will block off for you for a set amount of time. It's usually a fairly undramatic process. That being said, it's theoretically possible that you will have a piece of furniture simply too big to get up to the 20 floor, etc. I came within a hair's breadth of not being able to fit my couch in until one of the doormen who lived here went Dick Butkiss on it and just manhandled it in.

I would spend the money on movers if you are planning on renting a large moving truck. Backing said truck in and out of the alley can be very, very difficult, not to mention driving it around the city if you're not experienced in doing so.

I am not a good driver, really, but am an okay driver, and once, trying to navigate one of those giant 30 footers myself, smashed someone's car across the street.

The stress is just not worth it.

If you have a van you could probably just drive it yourself.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:24 AM

968 posts, read 2,664,621 times
To add to good advice above ..be sure to call the building you're moving into to reserve the dock/elevator well in advance ..and call AGAIN the week of your move to confirm ..I've seen a few arguments about this over the years .. You'll need to do this even if you're moving yourself , or a 'carload' of stuff that's beyond the average grocery/small appliance in a box load ..Most High Rises have rules around what can be taken up on a 'normal' elevator trip , and can fine you or the unit owner ..
Also, If you use movers, anticipate a tip ..not required but customary .. I gave a three man crew 75.00 my last move ... for about 2 hours work .. Movers do make a big difference with this type of move, especially if they're experienced in the area ..

Old 07-08-2011, 05:01 AM

4 posts, read 26,897 times
Thanks to everyone for the advice and comments! I figured there had to be ways, I just wasn't sure how and wanted to get an idea of how it works so that when I plan the move I'll have an idea of what to expect.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:38 PM

70 posts, read 96,401 times
As people have mentioned you'll have to plan it out with the building that you move into. Make sure you schedule the elevator far in advance and get a confirmation of your appointment in writing.

There are often loading docks in the large high rises but some of the smaller high rises have the movers park out front in the street and have your movers cart your stuff in through the garage. Make sure to find that out before you move in.

Inform your movers of the time and exact place beforehand. Having either of these pieces fall apart can ruin your move-in and your day!

Old 07-18-2011, 10:40 PM

70 posts, read 96,401 times
Also make yourself very familiar with the condo building's rules before you sign a lease (or buy a place). Many of the high-rises have untenable rules and curmudgeonly building engineers.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,636 times
I live in a high rise that has a back parking lot gate that's now locked no entry unless you have a car , no key gate is this legal ? Theirs a back door as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: