Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 03:12 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
True, but actually the Met really is better. I even have an A.I. membership, but when I went to the Met for the first time, I couldn't believe what a pathetic little art museum we have in Chicago. You could fit the whole thing into one corner of the Met.

Ok, I'm exaggerating slightly, but still the Met is still several orders of magnitude greater then the A.I. It truly is stunning.
Odd.

I've actually grown to appreciate the Art Institute more as I've gotten to see more international art museums. The Met is monstrously large and comprehensive, which is why it's the third-most-visited museum in the world most years. I'm not in any way trying to say it's not a great museum.

But so is the Art Institute. The existence of Beethoven doesn't mean Brahms was a crap composer.

The Art Institute is one of the great art museums in the world. It's not the best, but then again I'd argue that neither is the Met - despite it's encyclopedic collection. With art it's not about "best" or even "better," it's about presenting a collection that has something to contribute to the world stage. And both the Met and the Art Institute do that - as do dozens of other globally significant museums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 09:31 PM

381 posts, read 842,769 times
Quote:
True, but actually the Met really is better. I even have an A.I. membership, but when I went to the Met for the first time, I couldn't believe what a pathetic little art museum we have in Chicago. You could fit the whole thing into one corner of the Met.

Ok, I'm exaggerating slightly, but still the Met is still several orders of magnitude greater then the A.I. It truly is stunning.
Considering it is NYC I'm not surprised. The amount of artists and business done there should make their art museums one of the most well stocked in the States outside of Paris and London, if not then they're doing something wrong.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:02 AM

21 posts, read 35,611 times
As a student, I gotta say that SAIC is a great school, it was voted the most influential art school in the US recently. However, the beginning and end of any 'best museum' discussion is the Louvre.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:30 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
What a silly argument. I love the Art Institute. I've been to the Met several times, and while it is massive, I find it a little unwieldy, compared to the more manageable and very high quality AI.

Since someone mentioned the Louvre, I'll draw the comparison: The Louvre is fantastic and I'm glad I went, but it would take an entire Parisian vacation's worth of time to do it justice. The Musee d'Orsay, however, is manageable and possesses some simply stunning works.

I'm cool with the Met being the Louvre and the AI being the Orsay.

But as to the OP's question, there's no need to live right beside the SAIC. Pick a pleasant outlying neighborhood (there's lots of info on that in this forum), get a place where you can have a dog and maybe a patch of grass for him to pee on, and enjoy.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:45 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Several orders of magnitude? How many orders of magnitude? Is it only 1000 times greater or 10,000 or 100,000 times greater? 1,000,000?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:09 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Several orders of magnitude? How many orders of magnitude? Is it only 1000 times greater or 10,000 or 100,000 times greater? 1,000,000?
I'm not trying to exaggerate. I meant several as in 3 or so. It is significantly larger, more comprehensive, has more one of a kind, spectacular exhibits. They brought over an ancient Egyptian tomb and rebuilt it brick by brick inside the museum!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:11 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to exaggerate. I meant several as in 3 or so. It is significantly larger, more comprehensive, has more one of a kind, spectacular exhibits. They brought over an ancient Egyptian tomb and rebuilt it brick by brick inside the museum!
Perhaps you don't understand what an "order of magnitude" is.

The Met is the largest art museum in the US. The Art Institute is the second largest. They both have things the other doesn't.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:47 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangeneral View Post
Yawn. MET in NYC is better.
lol, no actually, as a school...it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Since someone mentioned the Louvre, I'll draw the comparison: The Louvre is fantastic and I'm glad I went, but it would take an entire Parisian vacation's worth of time to do it justice. The Musee d'Orsay, however, is manageable and possesses some simply stunning works.

The traditional "survey exploration" of the Louvre is a 4 day walk through. That is just to cover the area and see most of the works, not to take any time really.

Quote:

what is the point of your post exactly...?

Old 08-03-2011, 08:05 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Perhaps you don't understand what an "order of magnitude" is.
This.

Quote:
The Met is the largest art museum in the US. The Art Institute is the second largest. They both have things the other doesn't.
On size they don't compete. Near as I can tell, the volume of the collection is way, way larger at the MET. Something like 2,000,000 works vs a quarter million at the AI.

But numbers alone are pretty meaningless. Unless you've got a lifetime to explore, I'd argue that the AI gives more bang for the buck. The MET is a complete works box set. The AI is a Greatest Hits album.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:42 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,168,034 times
Quote:
the volume of the collection is way, way larger at the MET. Something like 2,000,000 works vs a quarter million at the AI.
How did you arrive at these numbers?

Quote:
...I'd argue that the AI gives more bang for the buck. The MET is a complete works box set. The AI is a Greatest Hits album.
I'd argue that this a bad analogy and doesn't say anything at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: