Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 02:53 PM

10 posts, read 30,527 times

Advertisements

I'm a 40 year old straight male moving to Chicago in 1 month. My office is downtown and I'll be traveling a lot so I need to be able to get to O'Hare easily. I'm looking for an upscale, but not a snobby/pretentious area. Hopefully in not too crowded an area but still within a walkable neighborhood to shops. Looking to spend $1000-$1400 for a big studio or 1 bedroom. Last weekend I visited Lincoln Park which was fun, but way too young a crowd for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 03:32 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
^Old Town is close to LP, but an older, quieter crowd all around. West Lakeview is also a very nice area with a slightly older crowd than Lincoln Park and Lakeview, but I'm not sure I'd really call it upscale.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:34 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Old Town / River North/Gold Coast / Illinois Center-Millennium Park-Streetville are older crowd than Lincoln Park, but you might be disappointed at what your budget will afford AND I suspect you would HATE the late night commute coming back fromm O'Hare.

You might do better in Edison Park, but if you are out that far you might also check out Park Ridge and DesPlaines -- though you might have limited number of shops that are walkable...

Old 06-16-2011, 03:48 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,508 times
Commuting downtown and to Ohare, your best bet is to be close to the blue line. I'd focus on Bucktown around the Western blueline stop or Wicker Park around the Damen stop.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:51 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,181,392 times
Move to Hyde Park and fly out of Midway. The area is accessible to the downtown and only a half hour from the airport, which you can get to by train, bus or private car. No rush hour jams, either.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:04 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,630 times
The west loop might work well if you find a place close to the blueline (for ohare anyway).

Average age is a bit higher than the north side and there are a lot of great loft type units for good prices. It's walkable but not congested, you'll be very close to downtown etc.

If your traveling on the company dime and expensing cabs to O'hare, any of the areas mentioned above could work as well, but your money won't go quite as far.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:27 PM

Thanks everyone for the quick suggestions.... A couple people mentioned Wicker Park... I've worked in the music industry my entire life, so I wouldn't mind being in the area that's "hip" or "trendy"... Don't need it to be stuffy upscale... more concerned about it being safe... the way i look at it in Los Angeles (where I live now) is if there's a whole foods in the neighborhood, it's usually a nice neighborhood... sounds strange, but it's true. Any thoughts on Wicker Park?

Old 06-16-2011, 06:13 PM

439 posts, read 953,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyT View Post
Thanks everyone for the quick suggestions.... A couple people mentioned Wicker Park... I've worked in the music industry my entire life, so I wouldn't mind being in the area that's "hip" or "trendy"... Don't need it to be stuffy upscale... more concerned about it being safe... the way i look at it in Los Angeles (where I live now) is if there's a whole foods in the neighborhood, it's usually a nice neighborhood... sounds strange, but it's true. Any thoughts on Wicker Park?
They don't have a Whole Foods though.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:23 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyT View Post
The closest Whole Foods is the one in Lincoln Park, basically North and Sheffield. This is a few blocks from the eastern edge of Wicker Park. Wicker Park is safe, I'd have no problems living there.

Wicker Park, West Town | Chicago Neighborhoods | Explore Chicago

Old 06-16-2011, 06:48 PM

I'm not necessarily looking to live in a neighborhood that has a Whole Foods, I was just using Whole Foods as an example of how you could tell the nicer neighborhoods in Los Angeles -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: