Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

...some people think a special kind of "magic" happens when you live inside a political boundary others believe that something equally unique happens when the "ownership" of enterprise is not "corporate" but more "collective" -- Cooperative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
What is it about a coop that's so special?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 12:20 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...some people think a special kind of "magic" happens when you live inside a political boundary others believe that something equally unique happens when the "ownership" of enterprise is not "corporate" but more "collective" -- Cooperative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It simply means the co-op members have a say in how the store is run, which also creates a community.

In practice, the fact we only have one in Chicago says everything about how corporatized we've become.

90% of the people I talk to seem to think that you judge a store by their prices, but I believe you judge a store by how they choose their suppliers and how they their employees.

You will never encounter a genuinely happy environment at Wal-Mart - those workers are miserable.

I try to shop at Jewel as they are union and those are actual living-wage jobs. Aldi and Costco are also supposed to be decent in that regard.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:39 PM

439 posts, read 954,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
It simply means the co-op members have a say in how the store is run, which also creates a community.

In practice, the fact we only have one in Chicago says everything about how corporatized we've become.

90% of the people I talk to seem to think that you judge a store by their prices, but I believe you judge a store by how they choose their suppliers and how they their employees.

You will never encounter a genuinely happy environment at Wal-Mart - those workers are miserable.

I try to shop at Jewel as they are union and those are actual living-wage jobs. Aldi and Costco are also supposed to be decent in that regard.
I was a member of the UFCW at one point and was paid at or near minimum wage.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:52 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
I worked for Jewel in High School quite a while ago and made $10/hour. It was real nice.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:27 PM

439 posts, read 954,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I worked for Jewel in High School quite a while ago and made $10/hour. It was real nice.
Doing what? I guess the stores here pay more (I'm from Buffalo).

Old 06-16-2011, 04:57 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
"Green lifestyle", Christ.
I try not rolling my eyes, but something about these posts just makes me hate them.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:45 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I try not rolling my eyes, but something about these posts just makes me hate them.
I try not to go too overboard, but let's just say there is something seriously wrong with a family that produces trash far in excess of their garbage can allotment in the alley.

Is it really too much to ask to get people to think about where all that crap has to end up? I guarantee you the farmers where all the landfills go sure ain't too happy about it.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:05 AM

644 posts, read 1,188,036 times
Hyde Park used to have a co-op grocery store, but it closed in 2008, I believe. I wasn't around then, but from what I understand, it was really overpriced and offered poor quality groceries.

However, Hyde Park does still have Hyde Park Produce.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:17 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
Doing what? I guess the stores here pay more (I'm from Buffalo).
Dairy Department

Old 06-19-2011, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,468 times
For those who offered helpful responses - thank you. I guess we'll spend some time getting to know Hyde Park next time we visit the city.

To the others, I just don't get spending time writing sarcastic message board responses, but whatever, it's your life to waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: