Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 11,038 times

Advertisements

I'm new on this site but I've constantly been directed here by searches and always see great input from all of you. I've searched a bunch all over the internet but haven't' found a good set of recommendations for my situation. That being said, here we go...

I'm planning on moving to the city very shortly and trying to figure out which neighborhood would best suit my tastes but also be good for my commute. I work in Vernon Hills so I need to find a neighborhood that would give me the "least terrible" commute! I've currently been looking in Wicker Park and love everything about the area I've seen so far (my boss lives there as well and has been hyping it up a ton!).

Basically what I'm looking for: I would like to live in a sophisticated area with a great restaurant/bar scene. I am very adventurous with food and love exploring new and interesting restaurants trying new kinds of food. I'm also 24 and love to have a good time on the weekends. I'll go to almost any type of bar from dives/sports bars to music venues & the fist pumping night clubs. I'll even enjoy the artsy type piano bars and such.

So far Wicker Park seems to have the perfect variety of quality restaurants/bar scene as well as an attractive neighborhood (environment & people!). Just wondering what you all thought and if you guys had any suggestions for other neighborhoods that would be fun for 2 guys in their mid 20s, is dog friendly & wouldn't kill me commuting to Vernon Hills! My roommate works by diversy & highway 94 so his commute is a non issue.

Thanks in advance for all your help & advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 10:18 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,349 times
Unfortunately there is no easy commute. Wicker Park to Vernon Hills is 35 miles each way. You are going against the grain of traffic, but it is only to the extent that Chicago has a reverse commute which it really doesn't anymore in the afternoons. Mornings are better. The 90/94 split going to the suburbs gets a little backed up in the morning. Once you get past Dempster it will open up a lot. My guess is close to an hour commute.

The afternoons are where it gets hairy because so many people commute back into the city, O'Hare congestion, or go out to eat, etc. The traffic into the city gets backed up around Old Orchard in Skokie. The 90/94 merge is a nightmare because it is a merge of 2 highways into one. If you leave early or late the commute could be an hour, my guess is closer to 90 min.

Plenty of people do it you aren't the only one. It is much better to have weekends in the city and a bad commute during the week than a good commute, but be far from the city on weekends. You get lonely and feel isolated.

How far is your Vernon Hills office from METRA? Find out if you company has a shuttle from METRA to the office. If that's the case, I would say live in River North or the West Loop and walk to Union Station. You could also see what bus goes from Wicker Park to Union Station or by another METRA stop on the Vernon Hills line if that is an option.

My other suggestion is to live in Irving Park or Avondale. It's a little further out, but an easy cab ride to Bucktown or Wicker Park. But it could save your commute 15 minutes each way and more if there is a major jam because you can take surface streets.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:18 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,995,419 times
Unless you plan to use Metra for the reverse commute(and good luck with that) don't live anywhere in Chicago. Bucktown/wickerpark is way too far south. Traffic on 90/94 is extremely bad. Hour plus commute not counting snow/rain which can double that. I would rather have a short commute to work and party hard on the weekend. Long commutes drain you if you are leaving home before 6a.m. and getting home at 7pm or latter it does not leave much time to go out, get some sleep, and head to work again. You just wont get the chance to enjoy the area.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:29 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,349 times
That being said, if he lives near Vernon Hills, it's a disaster getting into the city on a weekend. I understand his dilemma. If he drives, he can't have fun. It's also a pain to drive into the city on a weekend and figure out where to meet friends and park. You have to plan everything in advance. It's much easier and less costly to just get in a cab when a friend calls and go.

Not to mention he then has to drive back all the way to the suburbs or sleep at a friend's place. METRA doesn't run to Vernon Hills on weekends either. So if he did METRA, he would have to take a different line and leave his car in the lot there. Oh not to mention dating. It's going to be tough to get a girl to date someone that lives all the way out there.

You just feel isolated living in the far burbs when your friends are in the city.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:44 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,995,419 times
In theory he could either drive(or live in) to a burb with better Metra Service. Drive to the Blue line park, ride it in or just drive into town and bite the bullet on parking. Dating on the other hand shall we say people have been coupling long before the nightclub was invented. I agree the location sucks, but unemployment sucks more not to mention the fact that if he attempts to live in town he will likely burn himself out esp. over the winter. Long commutes are not fun.

In addition there is some nightlife in the burbs not as much as the city but not hopeless.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:48 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,508 times
I understand your desire to live in the city, but I did the Lakeview to Vernon Hills commute for just over a year. It's miserable, there is no way around it. Like others have said the morning are better but the evenings could be an hour or 2+ hours depending on weather and day of the week. You won't have any free time during the week when close to 3hrs of your time is spent in the car.

If you must live in the city, I'd go as far north as possible, someplace like Lincoln Square allows you to take surface streets to 94 and still be close enough to nightlife hot spots.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:58 PM

2 posts, read 11,038 times
thanks guys for all your comments so far. nowincal11 you got my mindset dead on! i grew up in NYC and for me, the only option is to live in the city. I know the commute from anywhere in chicago is going to suck but for me, it'll be worth it for all the benefits of city life. My boss lives in Wicker Park and does the commute and while its rough he says its manageable. Wrigleyville/Lakeview, Lincoln Park and other areas are all appealing to me but I've heard those are just god awful at commuting to suburbs so that's why I was thinking Wicker Park would be a good compromise of fun social life and good neighborhood with a "less terrible" commute.

The train idea is something i've been thinking of as taking the metra, I can pay to keep my car at the train station by work year round and drive 5 min to work from there

Old 06-13-2011, 02:41 AM

61 posts, read 72,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxbbombers21 View Post
My boss lives in Wicker Park and does the commute and while its rough he says its manageable.

Then carpool with your boss.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:39 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Park your car at Vernon Hills. Ride the North Central from Western Avenue Station. Check the schedule first, but there is reverse commute service.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:49 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Park your car at Vernon Hills. Ride the North Central from Western Avenue Station. Check the schedule first, but there is reverse commute service.
If you are gonna park your car at a suburban train station, it may be better to park your car at one on a line that 1. Comes closer to the desirable neighborhoods, 2. Has more train options, and 3. Has express trains and weekend trains for you to get to your car at other times. I am thinking of the MD-N line in Lake Forest, or the UP-NW line at Arlington Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago