Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:01 PM

6 posts, read 9,940 times

Advertisements

Hello. We are an African and African American couple moving from Cambridge, Mass to the Chicago area. We are looking forward to it.
In terms of trying to find a place to live, we have found challenge, although we've done a lot of research and some moving around. We may seek a realtor/broker when we return next weekend.
But I am looking for some advice here, if you permit me. We seek recommendations for:

a walkable neighborhood with daily amenities (grocer, drugstore, drycleaner etc.) and some niceties (coffeshops, bookstores)

access to the blue line (I will work in Elk Grove Village, my wife downtown)

Of course we are looking for safety. We've grown accustomed to living with a 24hr doorman but that does not seem common outside of downtown?

We would also like a diverse community, to include Africans and African Americans. We are both in our 30s and a physician and epidemiologist. We'd love to be around others of similar backgrounds.

We are willing to spend 1500 per month for 1bedroom, we do not want to buy a car but will if necessary.

Thank you for your consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 08:34 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
How will you get to Elk Grove Village (in a timely fashion) without a car?

Old 06-09-2011, 08:42 PM

My new colleagues noted a bus, I recall from the Rosemont blue line station. Do you know of something different? Thank you.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:47 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahs View Post
My new colleagues noted a bus, I recall from the Rosemont blue line station. Do you know of something different? Thank you.
I presume you mean Pace bus 223. If it goes past your workplace, that should work okay. It seems to run fairly frequently.

You'll find that there's no neighborhood here in Chicago that's similar to Cambridge in terms of the diversity and intellectual mix. As you've probably read, Chicago is much more segregated and spread out than Cambridge. I used to live in Davis Square, and miss being able to walk to Harvard Square (or Boston for that matter).

Old 06-09-2011, 08:55 PM

While we have have enjoyed our neighborhoods in Central Square and Kendall, we are not looking to replicate the experience in Chicago. We are moving not only for jobs, but for a different lifestyle/community than the Boston area has provided. Beyond our time at local universities, we have not enjoyed much about the area.
That to say, I mentioned our current location as a reference point, but not to limit our options/preferences.

Any neighborhood suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,956 times
I would consider Wicker Park/Bucktown. Especially the intersection of North Ave, Damen Ave, and Milwaukee. It's still pretty diverse for being a gentrified neighborhood. It's got a good mix, with a lot to do and a lot of character. Other areas to consider are Ukranian Village.

The furtherest north I would go on the Blue Line would be in the Irving Park neighborhood. Further north than that the neighborhoods get a little boring and very suburban.

So basically:

Definitely look at Ukranian Village, Wicker Park and Bucktown.

Other good ones to consider are: Logan Sqaure, Avondale and Irving Park. You will find that all of these neighborhoods are diverse on some level.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:29 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahs View Post
I would double check that bus route to confirm it. I'd call PACE Bus to just be sure. I've had interviews in Elk Grove and it's one of those situations in which you only have 1 chance to catch the bus coming and going.

I listed the Pace Bus website customer service numbers link.

Good luck.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:16 PM

4 posts, read 12,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
I would consider Wicker Park/Bucktown. Especially the intersection of North Ave, Damen Ave, and Milwaukee. It's still pretty diverse for being a gentrified neighborhood. It's got a good mix, with a lot to do and a lot of character.
I agree.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:30 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Yeah, Chikid summed it up very well.

Most of the areas you're looking are more Hispanic than African American, but they are diverse areas with a decent mix. Wicker Park and Bucktown (Damen stop) are the least diverse areas that you're looking at, the areas around the Western, California, and Logan Square stops are a mix of Hispanic immigrants, "hipsters", and young families. As you get North of that the mix is similar but there are fewer bars, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. They are all safe areas, but there is much less to do in the neighborhoods past Irving Park. It almost gets suburban as you get out towards O'Hare.

What didn't you like about the Central/Kendall Square area? I grew up in Jamaica Plain, lived around Davis in college, and then worked for Polaroid and MIT, so I know the area pretty well. What you don't like might help me give better suggestions.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:20 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
My advice to you is to be prepared to buy a car and be prepared to move to a burb near elk groove village if the commute becomes insane. PACE is our suburban bus system but while it is clean and on time it can leave much to be desired in terms of the amount of service sometimes and while Chicago itself is very transit friendly the burbs are less so. I.e. Even if there is a Bus, there may be no sidewalk to walk on to get to your office(and trust me in winter that is down right dangerous).

The 223 seems to be an exception to this rule but make sure your lack of car won’t impair you in other ways at work and that you can easily get to work from the bus.

Getting downtown is easy, your wife can use the almost any el line or Metra(our commuter rail) from the burbs. The only big issue with a car is that traffic on 90/94 is painful. However you the further south you live on the blue line the longer the ride to Rosemount is going to be. Logan Square to Rosemount is about 20 mins worth of travel on the Blue line itself (not counting time to get to the Blue line and time to get to the Bus). The CTA while frequent, it is a tad delay prone you need to add about 15 mins to avoid missing your bus. My advice to you is to live within walking distance of the station on your end to advoid adding more time to your commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago