Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 11:45 AM

12 posts, read 42,056 times

Advertisements

We're headed up to Chicago for the first time next week on a spur-of-the-moment vacation. We'll be there for 4 days and have our 4 kiddo's with us (all under the age of 8).

We know we want to go to the Aquarium, LegoLand, and American Girl Place. Maybe Lincoln Park Zoo and the Children's Museum if time and weather allows.

I'm overwhelmed looking at hotels at the moment and would love suggestions on 'good/safe' areas to focus on. Also suggestions on some awesome Chicago style Pizza and other must have's in the food department that are kid friendly would be appreciated too.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 11:57 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,921,990 times
Stay somewhere on the red line because you can take it to all the major locations that are not within walking distance. Although you do have 4 small kids so I would recommend a cab, which won't be expensive if you stay near downtown near the Magnificant Mile (Michigan Avenue). From there are all the shopping and restaurants you need. Plus, you can walk to Navy Pier.

If you have a car there, I would recommend taking the car to the Museum of Science and Industry in Hyde Park on the South Side. I wouldn't cab it because it will be way more expensive than parking there (check parking prices but I don't think they are that high).

Also check out the Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, and the Shedd Aquarium. All 3 of those are next to each other and cab distance from the Mag Mile since you have kids.

Check online to see if there are any Free Days at any of the museums. I imagine some of your kids are young enough to get in free. Also check out the Museum Pass Plan, which is cheaper.

Lincoln Park Zoo and the Children's Museum you have covered. I think Lincoln Park Zoo is one of the last free zoos in America.

For Pizza: Up for debate between Gino's East, Lou Malnati's, and Giordanos. I like Gino's. They all have locations downtown.

For Hot Dogs and Italian Beef: Portillo's on Grand Avenue. It is a Chicago chain, but an institution. Best hot dog and Italian beef in the city. Plus they have hamburgers, fries, onion rings, milkshakes. It's easy with kids.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Stay somewhere on the red line because you can take it to all the major locations that are not within walking distance. Although you do have 4 small kids so I would recommend a cab, which won't be expensive if you stay near downtown near the Magnificant Mile (Michigan Avenue). From there are all the shopping and restaurants you need. Plus, you can walk to Navy Pier.

If you have a car there, I would recommend taking the car to the Museum of Science and Industry in Hyde Park on the South Side. I wouldn't cab it because it will be way more expensive than parking there (check parking prices but I don't think they are that high).

Also check out the Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, and the Shedd Aquarium. All 3 of those are next to each other and cab distance from the Mag Mile since you have kids.

Check online to see if there are any Free Days at any of the museums. I imagine some of your kids are young enough to get in free. Also check out the Museum Pass Plan, which is cheaper.

Lincoln Park Zoo and the Children's Museum you have covered. I think Lincoln Park Zoo is one of the last free zoos in America.

For Pizza: Up for debate between Gino's East, Lou Malnati's, and Giordanos. I like Gino's. They all have locations downtown.

For Hot Dogs and Italian Beef: Portillo's on Grand Avenue. It is a Chicago chain, but an institution. Best hot dog and Italian beef in the city. Plus they have hamburgers, fries, onion rings, milkshakes. It's easy with kids.
We will definitely have our car (driving from NW Arkansas) and don't mind driving to different places. From what I found online, the CCM is free on Thursday nights, so we can check that out then.

Is parking hard/expensive near the Magnificant Mile? I saw that parking was around $20/day at Navy Pier...? Is that fairly standard around the city?

A friend also suggested Portillo's & Giordano's to my husband so he's happy to see you suggest them as well. :-)

Old 04-23-2011, 12:51 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,921,990 times
Parking at any downtown venue is expensive, but there are always spots at any garage or at any venue. Look up the costs of parking at each place you want to go and weigh it with walking or taking a cab. I assume public transit is out for you with 4 kids. Hotel parking rates vary by hotel. Museum of Science and Industry might be cheaper since it is on the South Side. Lincoln Park Zoo parking is astronomical because entrance is still free (I think?).

Chicago is a very tourist friendly city. Check out all the Museum websites for any other free nights and the combined passes.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Parking at any downtown venue is expensive, but there are always spots at any garage or at any venue. Look up the costs of parking at each place you want to go and weigh it with walking or taking a cab. I assume public transit is out for you with 4 kids. Hotel parking rates vary by hotel. Museum of Science and Industry might be cheaper since it is on the South Side. Lincoln Park Zoo parking is astronomical because entrance is still free (I think?).

Chicago is a very tourist friendly city. Check out all the Museum websites for any other free nights and the combined passes.
Definitey yes to the bolded. Everyone is in various stages of carseats/boosters still.

We thought Lincoln Park Zoo's parking was high too, but when you figure what it costs at other zoo's (parking + admission for 6) the $30 bucks for parking doesn't sound all that bad! :-)

Old 04-23-2011, 12:59 PM

396 posts, read 928,052 times
Looking at the 10 day forecast, it doesn't look pretty weather wise.

Whatever you do, I hope its nice weather while you are here (weathermen can be wrong). When its sunny in Chicago, its one of the best places in the country.

It looks like you have a pretty good itinerary to keep you occupied.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:24 PM

312 posts, read 714,902 times
I would double-check with the CCM. They have been discussing making museums free on those nights only for Illinois residents. I think it may be a long way off but it's worth finding out.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odannyboi View Post
Looking at the 10 day forecast, it doesn't look pretty weather wise.

Whatever you do, I hope its nice weather while you are here (weathermen can be wrong). When its sunny in Chicago, its one of the best places in the country.

It looks like you have a pretty good itinerary to keep you occupied.
Yeah, I would have to agree. The forecast looked a little more promising last night and got worse this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole69 View Post
I would double-check with the CCM. They have been discussing making museums free on those nights only for Illinois residents. I think it may be a long way off but it's worth finding out.
Good to know - thank you for the heads up! I'll give them a call...

Old 04-23-2011, 04:26 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,122,385 times
Looks like everyone gave you good ideas
Here is a link to some interesting things if you do not already have.

http://www.explorechicago.org/city/en.html

your going to have a good time and coming at the right time of year
half the fun is just planning for the trip.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:32 PM

49 posts, read 138,314 times
Here's a good website for parent on Free Museum day:
Free Museum Days in Chicago | ChicagoParent.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago