Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 12:31 PM

4 posts, read 23,571 times

Advertisements

Hi we are looking to book a reputable transfer from the airport to the Magnificent mile area of Chicago. Would anyone have any contact details or links to some companies that offer this service? (cheapest if possible)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 12:46 PM

279 posts, read 759,799 times
Cheapest would be taking the train (Blue line CTA) and then walking a bit or transferring to the Red line.
http://www.transitchicago.com/

Otherwise just go to the cab stand at O'Hare and take a taxi downtown. The train is $2.50 one-way and the taxi about $40.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:31 PM

113 posts, read 195,527 times
OR you can go call All American Limo

Old 03-30-2011, 01:44 PM

312 posts, read 712,877 times
cab fare from o'hare to the loop is a flat rate, $36

Old 03-30-2011, 02:28 PM

279 posts, read 759,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole69 View Post
cab fare from o'hare to the loop is a flat rate, $36
No it's not. Chicago cabs have meters and charge by distance. Only the suburban taxi companies have flat rates, but the trips must start or end in a suburb. Nevertheless, the rate from O'Hare to the Loop usually comes out to be pretty close to $36 based on my experience (before tip).

Old 03-30-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue View Post
No it's not. Chicago cabs have meters and charge by distance. Only the suburban taxi companies have flat rates, but the trips must start or end in a suburb. Nevertheless, the rate from O'Hare to the Loop usually comes out to be pretty close to $36 based on my experience (before tip).
When's the last time you've taken a cab in the city? They advertise flat rates between Midway, the Loop, O'Hare, and McCormick Center. Otherwise, they charge fare as normal.

Edit: All right, after looking around, I may be wrong. I don't take that many cabs, but when I have, it has been between downtown and UK village or Logan Square. And I swear that every one of them offered flat fares to the airports, and my origins and destinations were not "suburban".

Maybe it is specific to the companies that service those areas.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:15 PM

483 posts, read 1,221,600 times
If you have a significant amount of luggage, your best bet is going to be catching a cab at O'Hare and having the cabbie take you to the Magnificent Mile. It's a pain in the you-know-what to haul luggage onto the train, off the train, onto the train again, and then to your hotel (or wherever it is you may be going).

If you do end up taking the CTA, get on the Blue Line towards the Loop/Forest Park at the airport. Transfer to the Red Line when you're downtown, the easiest will probably be at Jackson; there is a tunnel you can use. When you get off the Blue Line, just look for the red sign that says "Red Line" (or follow the urine smell), go down the stairs, walk through the tunnel, up the stairs, and then wait for a Red Line train going north towards Howard. If you tell us what block you're going to, we will be able to help you more.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:19 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,118,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcolleen View Post
Hi we are looking to book a reputable transfer from the airport to the Magnificent mile area of Chicago. Would anyone have any contact details or links to some companies that offer this service? (cheapest if possible)
GO Airport Express | Airport Shuttle Chicago | Chicago Airport Limousine Service | Charter Bus Rental - Reserve for a round trip and ahead of time instead of going to the counter which will be a little more $. This is for the shared shuttle feature, a lot of your fellow passengers will also be traveling to the Mag Mile area.
If you use facebook, you can "like" their page and get access to coupon codes to save on the fare.
We used them for our trip just a few weeks ago, it was $44 total for 2 people.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:36 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole69 View Post
When's the last time you've taken a cab in the city? They advertise flat rates between Midway, the Loop, O'Hare, and McCormick Center. Otherwise, they charge fare as normal.

Edit: All right, after looking around, I may be wrong. I don't take that many cabs, but when I have, it has been between downtown and UK village or Logan Square. And I swear that every one of them offered flat fares to the airports, and my origins and destinations were not "suburban".

Maybe it is specific to the companies that service those areas.
There's no "maybe" about it - you are wrong.

What cabs do offer are fixed-rate shared cabs to several downtown areas. A shared cab is when the cab starter at the airport puts 2-4 people in one cab, each going to a different destination within the same general area and they each get a discounted rate. It can be a good deal for both the riders and the driver if there are at least 3 people.

The other things cabs have is a list of approximate trip totals from the airports to downtown places, which the city has them post so visitors will have some idea if the driver takes a wildly circuitous route to drive up the meter. However these are NOT actual fares, just guidelines to help discourage fraud.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:41 PM

Simmer down there, buddy. I already admitted my error.

Like I said, I don't take cabs that often in the city.

What must I do to rectify the indignation I have provoked in this thread?

Here is a piece of Chicago history as a peace offering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uOwVg2B79E
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago