Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,265 times

Advertisements

Hello! My boyfriend and I will be visiting Chicago sometime in late June/early July. We're going on a frugal year-long road trip around the country after we graduate college, and Chicago is the first major city we're stopping in. Neither of us has ever been there, so we're very excited!

I want to know if anyone has any suggestions for things to do or see, places to go, etc. I know we can get suggestions from all sorts of travel websites, but we don't want to be typical tourists. Instead, we want to integrate more with residents and experience authentic Chicago, not the commercialized version. Because other than taking a break and getting away for awhile, a major goal of this road trip is to find a place where we may eventually want to move to together.

We'll be keeping a blog at karevin.blogspot.com so you can kind of see what we're interested in. If you see another place we're going and you have suggestions for that, be sure to leave a comment on our blog. We're open to pretty much anything.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 10:02 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,077,655 times
Well it's really hard to define "authentic" Chicago these days because the city has changed a lot over the past 10-20 years. Not to mention it is full of transplants from other locations. Everyone will have a different definition of what "authentic" means.

Anyway if you want to avoid the commercialized parts I would avoid Michigan Ave for the most part. Don't go anywhere near Navy Pier etc. Most of the museums are in that area though and so you might want to go in that area for that reason.

I would really just try to get out into some of the actual neighborhoods north/NW side. Maybe check out yelp for food suggestions etc.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:35 AM

4,858 posts, read 7,660,572 times
I understand wanting to stay away from tourist traps like Hard Rock Cafe etc...but I'd still recommend Navy Pier, Mich. Ave., Grant/Millennium park and Wrigley field type of tourist traps.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:01 AM

14,796 posts, read 17,826,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I understand wanting to stay away from tourist traps like Hard Rock Cafe etc...but I'd still recommend Navy Pier, Mich. Ave., Grant/Millennium park and Wrigley field type of tourist traps.
100% agreed. In addition, the Art Institute is a must! Head out to different neighborhoods as well, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Logan Square, Andersonville etc.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:35 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,077,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post

The only one I'll disagree on is Navy Pier. That place is a nightmare!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
The only one I'll disagree on is Navy Pier. That place is a nightmare!
It's pretty bad, but the Children's Museum is very nice for little guys to visit! Ferris Wheel has great views of the City as well.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:35 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,552,601 times
If you want a truly awesome experience. 96th floor of John Hancock building. Signature Lounge. At night.
Signature Lounge at the 96th - When the Sky is the Limit...

Old 03-29-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
If you want a truly awesome experience. 96th floor of John Hancock building. Signature Lounge. At night.
Signature Lounge at the 96th - When the Sky is the Limit...
This is a great reco! Awesome views for the price of an expensive drink!

Old 03-29-2011, 12:43 PM

7 posts, read 16,721 times
I live in Lakeview and love it. But if you are visiting here are my recommendations. During the summer, there are free concerts all over the place. Check out Millennium Park | Explore Chicago. Must see free symphony at Millennium Park. You bring chairs and BYOB and listen to great music. We went every weekend. Also, check out the schedule for Dance nights at Grant Park. While busy and toursity, you should check out Navy Pier just one night. They have live bands at the Beer Garden. Bring a cooler and start at aquarium and take a $7 water taxi over to Navy Pier at sunset. Be sure to go on weekend to catch fireworks at night. All of the ideas above cost under $10 per person and hours of cool summer fun.

If you come a bit later in August, Loolapolluza is 5-7 and very fun.

Check out the site above as each area of Chicago has a lot of street parties/festivals during summer. The train or buses can get you where you need to go. For low key hotel, you can stay in residental areas, or to be centrally located, find one near Millennium Park.

Email if you have any questions.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:48 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,552,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
This is a great reco! Awesome views for the price of an expensive drink!
For sure.

**and for the OP... don't go to the "observatory" floor unless you want to pay. The lounge on 96 is just as high, has just as awesome views, and you can have a great cocktail to boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago