Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 01:59 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times

Advertisements

When you figure out what days you'll be here, check out the festival guide to see what neighborhood fesivals are going on. I actually like those a lot better than the "mega festivals" that they have in Grant Park.

Chicago Festival Guide 2011 | Metromix Chicago

Other suggestions:

1) I agree go to the signature lounge on the 96th floor of the Hancock.
2) Do a boat cruise on the river or the lake. I like the Wendella Architectural tours, they're around $20 to $25. Not sure what your budget is....

Chicago Lake & Chicago River Boat Tour Cruise Comparison Chart - Review

3) Take the train up to Wrigley Field (especially if it's game day) and walk around. I'd venture down Clark Street to Belmont or Diversey.
4) On that same note, check out a bar with an outdoor patio and do some people watching. Terasca's on Wrightwood and Clark is good for margaritas, Mickey's on Clark and Arlington is good for people watching, as is Wilde on Broadway and Barry. There are a ton though, and some nice laid back beer gardens too like Kirkwoods on Sheffield and George.
5) Do the Lincoln Park Zoo and Conservatory - both free on the north lakefront.
6) Check out a comedy show - they're normally fairly cheap and a good "Chicago" thing to do.
7) I would check out Navy Pier if you've never been here before. Good views.
8) Walk Michigan Ave from the Art Institute up through Millenium Park, the Mich. Ave bridge and up to Hancock (then you get your drink at the Signature Lounge).
9) Walk through the upper floors of the Cultural Center. Takes 15 minutes, but it's an amazing building and free.
10) See if there's anything going on at Daley Plaza. There are lots of little farmers markets and ethnic fests that go on there, and if anything it will let you wander deeper into the Loop and check out the buildings and swarms of people - especially on a weekday during the afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 02:04 PM

896 posts, read 1,400,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
This is a great reco! Awesome views for the price of an expensive drink!
I never understood why people always mention a drink. My sister came to visit me in 2008 and I did not buy any drinks since I do not drink and I just sat down and enjoyed the view. You can just get a water and chill a bar or a table

Old 03-29-2011, 02:09 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
You can just get a water and chill a bar or a table
Sure...you CAN... but why not enjoy the view with a Windy City Martini?

Old 03-29-2011, 04:11 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,111,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
I never understood why people always mention a drink. My sister came to visit me in 2008 and I did not buy any drinks since I do not drink and I just sat down and enjoyed the view. You can just get a water and chill a bar or a table
Depends when you go and who serves you - at certain times they mandate everyone at the lounge orders one alcoholic drink.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:55 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,339,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karevin View Post
I know we can get suggestions from all sorts of travel websites, but we don't want to be typical tourists. Instead, we want to integrate more with residents and experience authentic Chicago, not the commercialized version.
You basically need to go to a part of the city that is not on many tourist maps.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:04 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,446,162 times
There really is nothing of interest at Navy Pier.

If you want to check out inner city places that actual Chicagoans hang out at, I can think of a few areas offhand. Go down sidestreets in these areas, too:

SW side: 18th Street from Canal to Damen, Loomis and Taylor (one of Chicago's little Italys)

NW side: Erie and Noble, Chicago Ave and Ashland, Division and Damen, North/Milwaukee/Damen, Milwaukee/Kedzie/Logan Blvd,

N side: Astor from Division to North (if you like vintage mansions), North and Wells, Lincoln and Wells, Clark St. from downtown to Irving Park, Lawrence and Broadway, etc.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,222 times
These are all great, great suggestions! Thank you, everyone! I'm keeping a mental checklist and will certainly come back to read more as the time nears. Reading all of these ideas makes me even more anxious to get on the road and just get there already. I can't wait to see Chicago. It certainly seems as though we'll have to stay as long as we can just to take everything in.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago