Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,639 times

Advertisements

Hey all, like the title says I will be moving to chicago within the next few weeks as I have just gotten a job offer. Heres a bit of background information..

Im 24, and will be working in an office environment in Mount Prospect. I really like the idea of living more in the city but I know the commute can be horrible so Iam willing to check out neighborhoods in the NW area.

I really like Evanston and have a friend living in this area (he is not very knowledgeable of different areas though) but from what I have heard the commute would be aweful. I was looking in the Jefferson Park area (easy access to blue line for city visits) and also on the outskirts of Skokie but I was hoping I could get some input from actual Chicago residents... Thanks for any help you can provide.

ALL suggestions are appeciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 04:42 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,548,210 times
Default Not the worst commute...

Mt. Prospect is one of the closer 'burbs. You could make it to Jefferson Park in under 40 minutes most evenings.

J Park ain't exactly hoping -- if you decided to live in a hipper neighborhood it might increase your commute by maybe 20 minutes or so...

Mt P does have a Metra stop too, so potentially you could take a train.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,639 times
Thanks for the response.

I have ruled out Jpark, its not the younger, i guess "hip" area I was looking for. (it was kinda shady looking too, at least the area i was looking at apts) I did the morning drive from my office to rogers park to get an idea of travel time, it was not bad at all, maybe 45 min an hour tops. I think I am going to look into the rogers park/loyola area because there seems to be waaaaaay more places to choose from. My only concern would be finding street parking, I have always had a dedicated spot where I have lived before.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:22 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,352,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Mt. Prospect is one of the closer 'burbs. You could make it to Jefferson Park in under 40 minutes most evenings.J Park ain't exactly hoping -- if you decided to live in a hipper neighborhood it might increase your commute by maybe 20 minutes or so...Mt P does have a Metra stop too, so potentially you could take a train.
Jefferson Park is 50 times more "hopping" than Mount Prospect.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:24 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,352,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDD4YD View Post
Thanks for the response.

I have ruled out Jpark, its not the younger, i guess "hip" area I was looking for. (it was kinda shady looking too, at least the area i was looking at apts) I did the morning drive from my office to rogers park to get an idea of travel time, it was not bad at all, maybe 45 min an hour tops. I think I am going to look into the rogers park/loyola area because there seems to be waaaaaay more places to choose from. My only concern would be finding street parking, I have always had a dedicated spot where I have lived before.
You think parts of Jefferson Park are kinda shady looking? Rogers Park is 50 times more shady and it ain't just in looks.

I am curious what streets you were looking for a place near in Jefferson Park. It is possible you were actually in Portage Park and not Jefferson Park, but did not know it.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:16 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,420,208 times
If I were your age and in your shoes, I'd suck it up and endure a slightly longer commute. Two options:

-Suburban w/ an urban feel=Oak Park. It would be about a 45 minute drive and you would need to schedule your travel time carefully to get through the Hillside strangler where the Ike and Tri-State meet. DT Oak Park offers a good selection of bars and restaurants and the area is a nice mix of young people, students, families and retirees. Neighboring Forest Park has some solid restaurants and a few decent bars too.

-Urban: Bucktown. The neighborhood offers a straight shot up the Kennedy to 90 or if you're really good, you can find a place in the NE corner of Bucktown near the Riptide Lounge/Bucktown Pub/Cortland's Garage area and be within a 3 minute walk of the Metra. to take a train to Prospect Park. The 7:21 pulls into Prospect Park station at 7:51. You just wouldnt' be able to miss the 7:38, because the next trains leaves after 9. The near NW side neighborhoods of Bucktown/Wicker Park/East Village are great neighborhoods for new transplants in their 20s.

Bucktown would be my preferred choice. A somewhat generic, but still useful blurb on the area here:

http://chicagotraveler.com/neighborh...wn-feature.htm

Last edited by Chicago76; 01-27-2011 at 09:43 PM..

Old 01-28-2011, 11:58 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,685,701 times
Rogers Park is much sketchier than Jefferson Park.

If you want city living, I'd probably live in Wicker Park or Bucktown -- the closer to the Kennedy the better. Logan Square is a good bet too.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:17 PM

110 posts, read 251,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDD4YD View Post
Thanks for the response.

The morning drive isn't the real problem. It's your commute back every night. Take your morning drive and triple it.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:19 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,685,701 times
^Triple? Really? I kind of doubt that.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:22 PM

110 posts, read 251,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^Triple? Really? I kind of doubt that.
That's what it is in snow, ice, or on nights of big events on the Kennedy. Esp. if it's a Friday night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago