Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:42 AM

6 posts, read 14,781 times

Advertisements

Hello, first off let me apologize if these questions have been asked before. I've tried searching but haven't found much. I am moving to Chicago in January and in the process of apartment searching. I've accepted a position working downtown so public transportation will be important to me.

Does anyone have information on these neighborhoods? I'm looking for distance to public transportation and safety, safety being a higher priority. Night life isn't too important to me, but distance to stores, etc would be nice.

W ARMITAGE AVE and N. Albany (east of Kedzie)

N MILWAUKEE AVE (Between Montrose and Irving Park Rd)

N WESTERN AVE (by Fullerton)

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 12:06 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,732,998 times
By downtown, do you mean the Near North Side (actual downtown like Michigan Ave, Streeterville, River North) or do you mean the Loop (business district). That's how we know the out of towners haha. They don't distinguish between the two.

But anyway: There are shopping centers and grocery stores all over Chicago. The nice thing about Chicago is the convenience to everything. We have big grocery stores in the city and some big box stores like Target have locations in the city.

W ARMITAGE AVE and N. Albany:

In between Logan Square and Humboldt Park. A bit far from the Blue line L stop at California & Milwaukee. That area itself is a little bit rouger than what you might be used to. But that is relative depending on where you are coming from. It is not a bad neighborhood and not gang infested, but you need to be extra careful.

N MILWAUKEE AVE (Between Montrose and Irving Park Rd): Near Portage Park. Generally a nice area. Far from nightlife, but you indicated that wasn't a huge factor. Near Blue Line L stop at Montrose and the Mayfair METRA (suburban commuter rail) stop that goes into the Loop.

Western & Fullerton: The best area of the 3. Near the Bucktown neighborhood, plenty to see and do. Closest to downtown. It is a bit of a walk to the Blue Line L stop, but someone might be able to chime in on the express buses to the Loop from there.

Chicago has the CTA and METRA. CTA runs the "L". All of your choices are on the Blue Line that runs right into the Loop. The METRA is the suburban commuter rail with stops in outlying city neighborhoods. The benefit of living in the Portage Park location on Montrose is the Mayfair METRA stop that takes you right into the west Loop at Union Station.

If you are commuting to downtown as opposed to the Loop, buses are a better choice, but I am not as familiar with the buses.

Options 2 and 3 are safe. Neighborhood 1 might be a little bit rough for you, though in comparison to some neighborhoods on the west and south sides, it is relatively calm.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:25 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,348,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmkellogg View Post
W ARMITAGE AVE and N. Albany (east of Kedzie)
There is quite a bit of gang activity around there still. It is not the worst, but I would not venture too far south or west of there. The Armitage bus sucks with a capitol S. If you can do the 6 block walk each way to the Blue Line everday then the bus will not be an issue.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the advice! Downtown as in Erie and Fairbanks (roughly). I was also looking at Evanston, which looks like a nice area.

I'm from Detroit, so some crime I'm used to. Definitely not into gangs though.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:17 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,500,441 times
Default You'd be nuts to look at Evanston, unless...

...you really want o spend a lot of tome commuting and quote of money too.

If I you had kids maybe the school hassles might warrant looking to the suburbs.

Northside neighborhoods would make for eaiwest commutes.

If you want area with perhaps more minority mix you moth look t9 South Loop...

Old 12-13-2010, 09:07 AM

How is Rogers park? Like Howard and Chicago ave or Newgard and Pratt?

Old 12-13-2010, 11:38 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,957,254 times
Unless it has changed a lot, the area around Howard and Chicago Ave seems to have quite a bit of crime. There used to be a lot of illegal drug busts there.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:58 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,999,765 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice! Downtown as in Erie and Fairbanks (roughly). I was also looking at Evanston, which looks like a nice area.

I'm from Detroit, so some crime I'm used to. Definitely not into gangs though.
I actually don't think you would be crazy to consider Evanston. I lived in Evanston for 3 years when I first graduated college and started working in the loop. The downtown Evanston area is very cute (defined by me as being between Dempster to the south, Noyes to the north, Asbury to the west and the lake to the east; not an official definition by any means). There were tons of restaurants I could walk to and it felt very safe for a single person. I lived near the Davis street Metra and Purple line stops. That's one of the things I liked a lot about Evanston, the ability to use both the CTA and Metra, depending on what I was doing.

Given where you say you'll be working, I think you could live in Evanston and get to work easily by taking the Purple line to Fullerton and taking the red line to Chicago. During the nicer months or if you were in the mood for a longer walk you could stay on the purple line until the Chicago stop, which would put you a few blocks farther west. Either way, not a bad commute.

Another option is to look more at the north side neighborhoods that are on the red line, since that is probably the easiest way for you to commute.

Of the addresses you mentioned, my personal vote would be for Western and Fullerton. It's not far from the blue line, but given where your office is, the blue line isn't the ideal way to get to work. You'd probably be better off taking a couple buses. But, you could take the Western bus south to the Western Blue line stop, take the blue line to Grand, and take the 33 bus east and you'd get there... in theory that would take 37 minutes, so it would get you there in 45 in reality, I think.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:35 PM

Hello me again...

Wondering if anyone had an opinion on Devon ave and Clark area? I think it's listed as edgewater.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:19 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,348,566 times
Quote:
Hello me again...

Wondering if anyone had an opinion on Devon ave and Clark area? I think it's listed as edgewater.
Devon is the border between Edgewater and Rogers Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: