Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 06:30 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times

Advertisements

Nyrules IS comparing Apples to Oranges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Really? hmmm that started out as a 6 lane highway and when was the last time you were on Cicero? 1970? It's 6 lanes as well.
It is? In Chicago? That's news to me.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:58 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,374,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
It's true that traffic in the city is getting worse than ever in my opinion, but the layout and design of Chicago allow for a lot of creative solutions. If you know the territory, you can snake your way around a lot of the bad spots. The plethora of side streets and alleys in Chicago make for quick escape routes at the last second.

A typical drive thru the city for me usually results in many spontaneous detours.
Amen to that. I now live in a place that has no logical traffic alternatives in a snare. God bless foresight and good city planning.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:02 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
It is? In Chicago? That's news to me.
From I-55 south down to at least 111th is all 3 lane on each side. Do any of you ever travel to the south side?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The last time I was on Cicero was yesterday afternoon. Very little of it is 6 lanes. Some of it is as narrow as 2 lanes. Additionally, the street in your video isn't Cicero, it's North Avenue. Furthermore, to say the lights are "uncoordinated" assumes they were traveling in the same direction as the prioritized flow when we have no idea what time of day this was filmed. Finally, I wonder how much more fluid this video would look if it were time-lapsed like your other "apples to apples" videos.

Take a lil' trip away from whatever you're smoking.

I have never once argued against the idea that coordinated signals improve traffic flow. If you can't read for basic comprehension or understand how the environment through which a road traverses can effect how well it flows, or even identify streets and their locations correctly, then I'm sorry, I too am at a loss.

You have a great day too.
The whole idea here was to show that even on a 2 way street signals CAN be programmed to change to green as you approach them. Don't you think Queens Blvd which btw is hardly any more a HIGHWAY 25 than Cicero and North Ave. are. North Ave and Cicero are both considered Highways as well. Ever notice IL64 or US 50? What do you think that means? Those are major arterials. Just like Queens Blvd or Flatbush or any of them over on the east coast. There was no arguement that Queens Blvd is 3 lanes on each side. What the video shows is that signals even on a 2 way there are programmed to be coordinated with one another while ours change randomly with no apparent coordination be it North Ave, Harlem, Cicero, you name it, UNTIL you cross the city limits. IDOT I will pay a compliment to, has its signals programmed fairly well. Ever drive down 95th Street from Harlem to Pulaski? If you do the posted 30 mph you will make most lights without being stopped. Cross the city limits and it changes, all of a sudden you may make one or two green lights then are stopped. After your perpendicular street changes back to red, next if the CDOT controlled signal has green lefts the green left turn arrows come on whether someone is in the turning lane or not while in the burbs that doesn't happen unless the vehicle sensor is malfunctioning. In 90% of the cases though IDOT has the sensors working properly to maximize traffic flow through the intersection. This is where calling 311 to report a malfunctioning traffic signal comes in. If you see a signal in Chicago turning on the green left for no reason call it in so the loops can get fixed to maximize traffic flow through that intersection. Really folks this wasn't to get into an arguement over. Queens Blvd goes through Queens yes, however this was to point out that even in their other bouroughs that the signals still work just fine, be it Brooklyn, Queens, anywhere. Seriously I don't know what your arguement is here? You saying that we shouldn't coordinate signals to maximize traffic flow? I'm not getting what your arguement is here. Other cities have re-programmed their signals to maximize traffic flow, why can't our city do the same?

Here's their 2 way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LICu40QmB94

Chicago's 2 way. Same style street with less traffic by far and uncoordinated signals http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v73g1Qzk6I

Last edited by NYrules; 12-30-2010 at 09:25 PM..

Old 12-30-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
From I-55 south down to at least 111th is all 3 lane on each side. Do any of you ever travel to the south side?

Yep. But a vast majority of Cicero Ave in Chicago is 2 lanes a side. Most of that 3 lane a side Cicero Ave is not in Chicago.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Nyrules IS comparing Apples to Oranges.
You're right I'm giving Chicago a HUGE lead in this race, it has a far better layout of Streets and far less traffic, yet you can make it through how many signals green lights there vs. here? That's what this arguement is all about. Not lane capacity. There is no doubt NY's streets are usually wider for some reason but they at the same time have 3 times the traffic on their streets. Their metro area is some 18 mil vs. our 7 mil. BIG difference. Therefore their traffic should have you stopped all the time and that's just not the case.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Yep. But a vast majority of Cicero Ave in Chicago is 2 lanes a side. Most of that 3 lane a side Cicero Ave is not in Chicago.
The lane capacity is NOT the arguement here. Are you just not getting that? It's the signal's coordination. THATS THE TOPIC HERE.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
The lane capacity is NOT the arguement here. Are you just not getting that? It's the signal's coordination. THATS THE TOPIC HERE.
NO, THIS IS THE TOPIC HERE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublenickels View Post
The "rush hour" in the city of chicago is 6 a.m. until 10 p.m. Mon. through Fri.
Here you are talking about NYC.

Give it a rest.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
This is the argument here:
Chicago nor IL has any money to widen roads unfortunantly all we can do it try to make what we have flow as best possible. Coordinated signals will push any given roadway to it's maximum potential. The traffic will be bumper to bumper but it should be moving at least. Plus at nearly 4 bucks a gal again, a car kept in constant motion will get better mileage than one racing red light to red light. The signals are the one variable here that we can change at a minimum cost. Widening roads however costs a fortune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago