Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 06:13 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,874 times

Advertisements

You can make good money in Chicago, considering cost of living is also a ton lower than NYC. Like I said, Chicago is much more of a regular city. You can go to the ballpark Saturday afternoon and the bar after, people won't be obsessing over work except to tell a funny story.

You will meet "normal" people here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 06:52 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
You can make good money in Chicago, considering cost of living is also a ton lower than NYC. Like I said, Chicago is much more of a regular city. You can go to the ballpark Saturday afternoon and the bar after, people won't be obsessing over work except to tell a funny story.

You will meet "normal" people here.
Your assessment may be somewhat true for the lower 2/3rds of Manhattan, but Staten Island, Queens, Brooklyn, Harlem, Bronx are full of "regular" people.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:20 PM

172 posts, read 418,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Your assessment may be somewhat true for the lower 2/3rds of Manhattan, but Staten Island, Queens, Brooklyn, Harlem, Bronx are full of "regular" people.

I live in Brooklyn and I love living here. Where else can I walk South and be in a fully Spanish speaking neighborhood and go North to be in a neighborhood filled with hacdidic Jews? I love Brooklyn, it's on a totally different level than Manhattan.

Unfortunately I have to suit up 5 days a week and work with people who pay $3000 a month for a tiny studio to be next door to work. I really liked Chicago's vibe, I ate lunch as some sandwich shop in the loop and sat next to a bunch of dudes in suits that cost more than my wardrobe. They were obviously high earners and by some references to work they made, they worked in finance. Most of their conversations were about their children and the Cubs. When I was leaving, I was kind of daydreaming and totally stepped on the guy's briefcase and knocked it over. The guy laughed it off and told me he wished I totally destroyed it. Idk, I never really had an experience like this in NYC.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:22 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Mostly transplants. I meant Sox park.
Actually mostly tourists/fans from out of state and suburbanites. I believe I read a figure a few weeks ago that stated 75% of people in the stands at Wrigley do not live in Chicago.

Sox games are not immune from business talk though. It does happen less there than Wrigley from my observation, but it is not immune.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Actually mostly tourists/fans from out of state and suburbanites. I believe I read a figure a few weeks ago that stated 75% of people in the stands at Wrigley do not live in Chicago.

Sox games are not immune from business talk though. It does happen less there than Wrigley from my observation, but it is not immune.

I'm a Met's guy so I'll be doing my best to avoid the ballparks .

I'm concerned about the professional environment in Chicago, I'll be hopefully working in the loop or close to it.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:32 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,874 times
Yea that's the best place to find jobs. However, try to avoid the #1 pitfall, which is failing to branch out of your comfort zone. The comfort zone is the transplant zone in the Loop and north side neighborhoods. Chicagoans are very nice people, we don't bite. We like people to talk to us. Get to know the entire city and suburban areas. It helps a lot with networking and finding more opportunities, especially with sales, even with companies HQ'd in the Loop.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Yea that's the best place to find jobs. However, try to avoid the #1 pitfall, which is failing to branch out of your comfort zone. The comfort zone is the transplant zone in the Loop and north side neighborhoods. Chicagoans are very nice people, we don't bite. We like people to talk to us. Get to know the entire city and suburban areas. It helps a lot with networking and finding more opportunities, especially with sales, even with companies HQ'd in the Loop.

I live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and I do a lot of art and play music...I'm also in my mid 20's and have a pretty progressive mindset. I'm looking to live in Wicker Park or Logan Square, these areas were my favorite.

As for places to work, I will be taking mass transit and want my commute to be no more than an hour door to door.

I've heard employers in Chicago respect those from NYC and vice versa. Like when I moved to NYC people kind of looked at me like I have two heads being from Oregon, a lot of people actually asked me where in the country Oregon was.

I also hear Chicago has a pretty diverse job market. I have a degree in Communications and work at a Marketing firm that works with fashion companies, I want to get the heck out of this type of marketing, or the field all together. Being only in my mid 20's I want to try a few different things before I go for an advanced degree.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:44 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrains View Post
I was advised by someone that grew up in Chicago and worked in NYC, that Chicago's work style is a bit different.
Could someone advise me on this?
I couldn't disagree more. Having met several NYC transplants to Chicago and not noticing anything different about their work ethic, I don't know why that person gave you that advice.

Also are we talking Blue Collar or White Collar (or Pink Collar) profession? Not that it matters from what I've observed though.
Quote:
I'm a marketing associate, this is my second job in NYC. People are obsessed with their jobs, even the entry level admin people. I'll come into work on a Monday and people will ask me why I didn't respond to an e-mail sent Saturday night, it's insane. It seems my co-workers have something against me for previously living in Oregon. If we have to stay until 10pm doing work because half of my co-workers screw around most of the day, if I even frown, everyone will make sure to say something like “This is NYC, get used to it”.
Well, I don't know if this helps, but my Best Guy Friend came here from NYC after working there at a job in Manhattan for a year post College (He lived in Brooklyn all his life). His co-workers in Manhattan were older and burdened him with the work they didn't want and found a way to somehow cheat him out of a few commissions. He left for Chicago at the first opportunity that came up and has never gone back.

Sometimes co-workers and Bosses will take advantage of you if they think they can and in this economy that can happen a lot more if they think someone "needs" their job.

Last edited by ladysovereign; 12-08-2010 at 07:54 PM..

Old 12-08-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Having met several NYC transplants to Chicago and not noticing anything different about their work ethic, I don't know why that person gave you that advice.

Also are we talking Blue Collar or White Collar (or Pink Collar) profession? Not that it matters from what I've observed though.

Aside from my friend, a few people on this forum told me there is a difference.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:03 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Quote:
Aside from my friend, a few people on this forum told me there is a difference.
Ladysovereign may have had different experiences, and she is entitled to her opinion.

As an example of what makes me angry - customer/supplier from NYC calls me up to check on hand inventory of specific product. She tells me that "she had better hear from me within 5 minutes" and that "she'll be checking her blackberry".

Calm the heck down. It takes me 2 minutes to walk to our hi-rise in our 87,000 sq ft warehouse. They're always all about setting unrealistic goals, yelling when they don't get their way, etc..

Either this company happens to hire every snot out there, or this is common in NYC culture. I'll take the latter.

And at lunch time, my coworkers and I talk about baseball, our kids, etc. Sometimes we BBQ, and nary a word of work comes up. Same thing with the company Christmas party.

There is life beyond work! Amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago