Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 01:57 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times

Advertisements

Lakeview is a relatively safe and active area. Just use common sense and don't do stuff like wander around at 3:00am. Chicago varies greatly in terms of neighborhood safety, and much of the worst is concentrated to certain areas. On the north side lakefront, Uptown and Rogers Park have some rough spots. Other than that you are correct in thinking that the the north side is generally a safer part of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 03:12 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Lakeview is a relatively safe and active area. Just use common sense and don't do stuff like wander around at 3:00am. Chicago varies greatly in terms of neighborhood safety, and much of the worst is concentrated to certain areas. On the north side lakefront, Uptown and Rogers Park have some rough spots. Other than that you are correct in thinking that the the north side is generally a safer part of the city.
For the record, you can also wander around at 3:00 am and have nothing happen to you (with varying success depending on the neighborhood). Its like driving at 3:00 am in the suburbs, your chances of getting hit by a drunk driver are higher at this time, but more likely than not, you will be fine.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:20 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Moved into Logan Square, then Lakeview 9 years ago and I've only known one person who's every been attacked randomly (at 4am). Never known anyone who's been robbed or mugged.

Certainly not saying it can't or doesn't happen - but I wouldn't walk around WORRYING about it. I am friends and have been friend with dozens of people, been out late at night a few hundred times. Just keep a rational head about you and know your surroundings.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:29 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,142 times
Then again, there is only one guy I've known who's been mugged, he is also the shortest guy I know.

So when you are walking late at night, try and blend in with the bushes.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:37 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,198 times
I've known three people who've been mugged, and I've been here 15 years.

Two of them were drunk, walking through alleys late at night.

One was walking home late (around midnight) from work at a hotel, wearing iPod earphones.

The last one may or may not have been preventable, but the first two definitely were. Overall, don't walk through alleys late at night and your chances of being mugged are reduced dramatically.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:42 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
What's up with these strapping young lads in nice Chicago neighborhoods who run around like frightened little school girls? Seriously, you're not even in the hood. Man up.

You ever notice how when you're a young man of any race, a lot of police officers keep an eye on you as you pass by? It ain't because they're worried you're gonna get mugged..

Old 11-23-2010, 11:50 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,947,108 times
Even 6' 6'' jocks are at a disadvantage when the assailant has a gun.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:16 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^Yeah, Chicago is automatically disqualified because of the way you report.

But again, OP, I agree with others in that I think you'll be fine. Living in the city requires adjustment, but I walked around by myself as a woman very often and rarely felt threatened. Being a woman makes you a much bigger target than your height.
How will the OP ever protect his woman if he's cowering in fear over nothing while she's standing tall and walking down the street unafraid?

The dude lives in Lakeview for hell's sake......

Old 11-23-2010, 01:27 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,995,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
How will the OP ever protect his woman if he's cowering in fear over nothing while she's standing tall and walking down the street unafraid?

The dude lives in Lakeview for hell's sake......

In parts of lakeview he would have more trouble being chatted up by gay men than getting robbed.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:37 PM

98 posts, read 145,434 times
I'm short for a guy, but I don't feel threatened at all. I mean, I've lived in Flint & Detroit also, but I feel relatively safe at all times. I also know how to take care of myself, haha.

I just suggest not doing anything stupid, aka passing out in a dark alley or traveling too deep into somewhere you don't know where you are and have no business over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago