Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:19 AM

67 posts, read 182,413 times

Advertisements

Exit BNSF Metra at its terminal, Union Station, and walk east to Jackson and State. Descend into the Red line subway, and take the train going north towards "Howard" to the Grand Ave stop. Exit and walk east to Columbus and then to the theater
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 11:01 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
You should only cross the river on foot if you intend to walk to Jackson and State to catch the Red line subway. You will not cross the river by foot to catch the bus at Jackson and Canal.

I second the suggestion of the 151 bus. It runs quite frequently and will let you out a few blocks away from your destination. Good luck and enjoy the show.

When you get home tonight I will tell you the story of my first solo adventure in the city.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:17 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Just out of curiosity, why woudl you come all the way from western Naperville to see a movie in downtown Chicago when there are big theatres in the suburbs with plenty of free parking?

I ask this honestly, as someone who lives downtown and doesn't even own a car and is a huge transit advocate. I just don't see why, if you live in the suburbs you wouldn't take advantage of something that the suburbs do okay with.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:31 AM

67 posts, read 182,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Just out of curiosity, why woudl you come all the way from western Naperville to see a movie in downtown Chicago when there are big theatres in the suburbs with plenty of free parking?

I ask this honestly, as someone who lives downtown and doesn't even own a car and is a huge transit advocate. I just don't see why, if you live in the suburbs you wouldn't take advantage of something that the suburbs do okay with.

Are you the public transit SS? Maybe the author is meeting friends, or just enjoying downtown Chicago and the beautiful AMC theatre for a change...

Old 11-15-2010, 01:24 PM

32 posts, read 42,788 times
I am here now! Thanks Guys for your help. I ended up walking from Union station to the theater since I wanna enjoy the city as well. I kinda got 'lost' coz I took the chicago river walk. And I am dumbfounded how NOONE that I ask where AMC river East KNOWS where it was!!! The last person I asked said might as well ask the taxi drivers park in front of their building.

I googled how to get to the harpo studios coz I lived in Aurora for a long time but Have not been there. I want to go but well, what am I gonna do afterwards? And I might lost my seat to the HP screening.

I won a free advance tix to HP7 screening that's why Im here in Chicago. But when I calculate my food and transportation expenses I kinda regret it. But I see it as an excuse to visit the city again. Been A long while since I last visit Chicago.

My question now is what bus # to ride from AMC theatre to Union station? I predict the movie will end around 10:40 pm. Is there still a bus sched running that late?

Hope I read your reply before i go. I am in magnificent mile. where else can I go here? Any thing significant to see near here? Aside from endless shops?

Old 11-15-2010, 01:43 PM

I am glad you made it; you will see why when I post my story later. It is a wonderful city when you have time to play in it.

I'd suggest walking back to Michigan Ave and catch the 151 bus back to Union Station. Can someone with the witherall check and make sure it is running that late at night. I know it used to many many years ago.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:15 PM

258 posts, read 760,413 times
You know, you don't have to rely on misty memories. You can actually look this stuff up. At transitchicago.com, ctabustracker.com, or even on Google Maps.

Bus 124 departs Columbus at Grand at 10:03 and 10:33 pm and runs to Union Station.

Bus 151 departs Michigan at Ohio (southbound) at 10:07pm - 10:22pm - 10:37pm - 10:52pm - 11:07pm - 11:21pm and runs to Union Station.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:35 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
I got another question.

Does PACE accept CTA cards? In all the CTA and PACE buses I road I never tried to mix and match.
So can you?
Drover said no, but others have said otherwise

Edit-

Quote:
"Pace accepts the CTA's 30-Day pass, the Pace/CTA 7-Day Pass, and stored value cards (Chicago Card, Chicago Card Plus and magnetic strip transit cards) on its Fixed Route Service. Pace does not accept CTA's 1-Day (Visitor Fun Pass), 3-Day, 7-Day and U-Pass fare media. No Pace or CTA Employee Passes or fixed route fare media (cards, tickets, passes, etc.) are accepted on Pace ADA Paratransit Service."
Only accepts some apparently.
So annoying having to buy a 1day pass and pay extra on PACE just for a walkable distance.
Wish I could just use the daypass!

Old 11-15-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
You know, you don't have to rely on misty memories. You can actually look this stuff up.
Thanks Mr. D!

My first solo venture into the city from the far western suburbs as a teenager had me taking the train into the city, walking to State Street from Union Station and then getting on the eL to Chicago Ave where I was supposed to board a bus headed west.

I had walked many times from Union Station to State Street so that wasn't a problem but when I got on that eL I somehow got turned around and panicked when the conductor announced "Clark St." That was my last name at the time (it's the c in my handle) and I ended up getting off the eL and started looking for a bus. I had a transfer for that bus ride but back then transfers were only good for an hour. I stopped to ask some police officers how to get to Ashland and Wood St. but they were no help and at the time I didn't understand why.

I don't know where I walked to when I got off that bus, or how I eventually got to where I was going. I had no money; not even enough for a phone call. I ended up calling the person I was meeting "Collect" and told the operator to tell them I was lost; accept the call NOW, my mom and dad will gladly pay you back. I was scared to death but I knew where I was now and my ride would be coming in a few minutes.

For 24 years I worked in the same building above Union Station; I feel like I spent half of my life there. I haven't lived in the city for almost 8 years now but whenever I see someone asking for directions I try to help if I can.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:17 PM

32 posts, read 42,788 times
Actually when i left the apple store - that's where I was able to tell u guys I am in magnificent mile. And got to AMC, that's when I thought why did i NOT look up the bus sched! But thanks. Based on late scheds u gave. At least i was right in just riding a taxi to catch the 9:40 train home. The movie finished at 9:17, I tried going to bus stops near AMC until I just decided to ride a taxi or I won't catch the 9:40 train.

Oh, I highly recommend HP7!! It's so awesome ! Worth the expense I shelled out today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago