Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 02:29 PM

4 posts, read 5,491 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about relocating from the far NW suburbs to someplace a little closer to (or in) the "big" city.

I work out in Schaumburg (at least for a while) and have some family out there, so easy access to the Kennedy is a requirement. Another would be more of a "suburban" feel -- some open spaces, parks, plentiful parking, etc. Access to public transportation would also be nice.

See, I need a hybrid between city and suburban living!

My main reason for relocating is that I'm finding I'm spending a lot of my weekends in the city going to concerts and I just think the opportunities for recreation are better in the city. Cultural activities are few and far between out in the 'burbs. Plus, in my industry, jobs are more easily found in the city. I'd likely be commuting downtown from the suburbs anyways at some point.

What do you think? Does this mythical place exist? I'm looking to rent, and my budget is $1300+ for a 2 bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 02:35 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,261,466 times
Edison Park, Oriole Park, Norwood Park.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:44 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,114,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Two more parks - Jefferson and Irving.

I wouldn't go any further into the city than Old Irving Park, mainly because of the commute, but also because neighborhoods start to get more dense and urban as opposed to the Pre-WWII suburban feel of the above neighborhoods.

They also both have blue line and metra access - and you can definitely get a nice 2 br for 1300-1400.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Two more parks - Jefferson and Irving.

I wouldn't go any further into the city than Old Irving Park, mainly because of the commute, but also because neighborhoods start to get more dense and urban as opposed to the Pre-WWII suburban feel of the above neighborhoods.

They also both have blue line and metra access - and you can definitely get a nice 2 br for 1300-1400.
Thanks to both of you. I had a feeling that area would be my best bet. I really know nothing of those neighborhoods, except riding through on the metra. I'll take a closer look.

If anyone else wants to weigh in, I'll take more suggestions, or even some more information about these neighborhoods!

Old 11-01-2010, 03:25 PM

537 posts, read 1,036,024 times
I'll echo Jeff Park and Irving, definitely very suburban feel to them. Also Edison Park which has a nice stretch of bars/restaurants on NW highway.

If you decide on Jeff Park I have a 3BR/2Bath Georgian I'm putting on the market soon

Old 11-01-2010, 03:27 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,261,466 times
I've regularly seen for rent signs as I drive southbound on Harlem fro Touhy to Bryn Mawr. The buildings are your typical post-war 1950's style. What's nice to me is that those particular neighborhoods have easy access to either the Cumberland or Harlem blue line, like jdiddy said.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:49 PM

Well, I've started with some reading about Jefferson Park, Norwood Park, and the rest. Pretty interesting stuff.

Per the wiki article:

Quote:
Norwood Park is known especially for its abundance of green: lawns, parks, churchyards, and trees are its visual hallmarks
Very promising. I guess it's time to take a drive!

This area does seem to be perfect: Middle-class, hard-working people, on the edge of the city, easy access to metra, CTA and major highways.

Any thoughts on the rental situations? Are these mostly low-unit buildings, or 2-3 flats? Homes converted into rentals?

Old 11-01-2010, 04:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times
Obviously you'll want to stay along the Blue Line/Kennedy Expressway corridor. The closer you are to the Jefferson Park transportation center, the better, as that will maximize your available transportation options to city and nightlife destinations while minimizing your pain for the outbound commute to Schaumburg. Once you get east of Harlem, the suckitude of the commute grows exponentially the further east/southeast of Harlem you get.

Unfortunately this convenience of living near the Jefferson Park transportation center is priced into rental rates in the area, but you should still be able to find a relatively spacious and updated 2-bedroom within your price range.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:26 PM

537 posts, read 1,036,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarpco View Post
Well, I've started with some reading about Jefferson Park, Norwood Park, and the rest. Pretty interesting stuff.

Per the wiki article:

Very promising. I guess it's time to take a drive!

This area does seem to be perfect: Middle-class, hard-working people, on the edge of the city, easy access to metra, CTA and major highways.

Any thoughts on the rental situations? Are these mostly low-unit buildings, or 2-3 flats? Homes converted into rentals?
Norwood, Jefferson, and Edison Park have basically identical Metra Schedules, the blue line is a different story as far as convenience. In Jefferson Park the Metra, Blue Line, and bus terminal are all in the same spot.

I usually take the Metra to work, but if I miss a train or someone decides to jump in front of the train and it's delayed, walking down the stairs to the blue line is very convenient.

As you move NW blue line access becomes harder. Norwood Park is closest to the Harlem stop, but could be a hike depending how far North you are. Edision Park is between the Harlem and Cumberland stop but an even further walk.

Rental wise I believe all 3 areas or similar with a mix of 2/3 flats, and low rise multi unit buildings.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Once you get east of Harlem, the suckitude of the commute grows exponentially the further east/southeast of Harlem you get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
Rental wise I believe all 3 areas or similar with a mix of 2/3 flats, and low rise multi unit buildings.
Thanks to both of you for the info. I've done some rental searches and it seems like there is a lot of good stuff in my price-range in the area. Surprisingly, I've found a lot of places with cheap garage parking as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago