Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:13 AM

818 posts, read 2,172,731 times

Advertisements

I would also look at the South Shore line schedule, and see if the number of available trains on the way to and from work is sufficient. Most commuter trains here, South Shore line included, are much more accommodating of the traditional commute (into the city in the morning, out of the city in the evening) than the "reverse commute". This might make commuting via public transit (as opposed to driving) an unreliable commute. Both on the way there and on the way back, you are going to have to be reliant on buses/trains to get to the South Shore line and make the train you have desired to take. If you were traveling the South Shore line during the traditional rush hours (to Chicago in the morning/ out in the evening), a mishap with your other transit (CTA, Hammond bus), would simply result in you just taking the next train, within a half hour, or even less. However, with your commute, a mishap with CTA in the morning would suddenly make your commute unfeasible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 02:04 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,339,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acpurdue View Post
I am not sure how reliable/safe the bus system is in that area
I don't know myself. I have only taken the South Shore to Hammond.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:43 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,421,171 times
If you end up driving the route, definitely avoid 94 (someone else suggested 94), as it will more than likely be gridlock traffic. Take Lake Shore Drive down to the Hyde Park area, and then use Stony Island to jump onto the Skyway (90). This will be a shorter, faster route into Hammond. I agree with the others here that this would be an easier commute from the South Loop (and Hyde Park). South Loop still has that downtown feel & connection though unlike the more isolated Hyde Park. Best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acpurdue View Post
Thank you so much! That was helpful. I have no choice in where I am living. I just was trying to find the cheapest way to commute mon-fri. I am not sure how reliable/safe the bus system is in that area, but it is great to know that it is available if I need it!

Old 02-22-2011, 09:52 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,556,921 times
Actually I-94 south of downtown isn't bad in rush hour, since there aren't all that many people reverse commuting in that direction. I'd take LSD down from Lincoln Park to I-55 (Stevenson Expressway), cut over to I-94 towards Indiana. Shouldn't be too bad, and you avoid the tolls on the Skyway.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:13 AM

6 posts, read 12,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
I would also look at the South Shore line schedule, and see if the number of available trains on the way to and from work is sufficient. Most commuter trains here, South Shore line included, are much more accommodating of the traditional commute (into the city in the morning, out of the city in the evening) than the "reverse commute". This might make commuting via public transit (as opposed to driving) an unreliable commute. Both on the way there and on the way back, you are going to have to be reliant on buses/trains to get to the South Shore line and make the train you have desired to take. If you were traveling the South Shore line during the traditional rush hours (to Chicago in the morning/ out in the evening), a mishap with your other transit (CTA, Hammond bus), would simply result in you just taking the next train, within a half hour, or even less. However, with your commute, a mishap with CTA in the morning would suddenly make your commute unfeasible.
Thanks, I can see that could end up being an issue. I am not quite sure what hours I will be working.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:15 AM

6 posts, read 12,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
Actually I-94 south of downtown isn't bad in rush hour, since there aren't all that many people reverse commuting in that direction. I'd take LSD down from Lincoln Park to I-55 (Stevenson Expressway), cut over to I-94 towards Indiana. Shouldn't be too bad, and you avoid the tolls on the Skyway.
I would assume that the traffic would not be nearly as heavy coming out of the city. Thanks for the advice!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,541 times
Default Another new grad thread...

Hi all,

I'll be graduating this upcoming May and have accepted an offer in Indianna (just outside of Chicago) and plan on living in Chicago. I hear all the time that chicago is expensive but I'll be making a pretty good salary of ~75,000. I'm wondering what kind of lifestyle can i afford off of that salary in Chicago and neighborhood suggestions. I've seen lincoln park recommended alot but I'll be working south in Indianna. I also was wondering how much rent i should be able to pay considering I have only 5500 in student debt and a car that is paid for. I also want to be able to go out to bars, sporting events, save up for a house, and set an emergency fund.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:27 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,258,281 times
Where is your place of employment in IN? I swear this is a deja vu thread; there was someone else who was working in Indiana and wanted to live in Lincoln Park.

CN: This will not end well.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,541 times
I'll be working in Hammond. I do want suggestions on neighborhoods but more importantly I want to know how nice of an apartment (rent) should I be looking at on my salary and what lifestyle can I afford considering Chicago is so expensive.

Last edited by mit_e_duck; 03-07-2011 at 09:51 PM..

Old 03-07-2011, 09:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
The issue isn't so much whether your salary can buy you a decent lifestyle here (it can within reason), but whether it's realistic to expect to live in Lincoln Park and commute to Hammond. The good news is that of all the expressways in Chicago, the Dan Ryan and the Skyway are the most manageable at rush hour. The bad news is that 1) it's still gonna be a slog; 2) parking in Lincoln Park sucks unless you want to spend $200+/mo for off-street parking and the commute is probably not practical by any other means than by car; 3) using the Skyway will cost you three bucks each way (there are alternative routes but it'll take you longer to get to Hammond); and 4) there aren't a lot of "happening" neighborhoods any closer.

You might consider the South Loop instead for the following reasons: 1) It'll take about 20 minutes out of your commute and make it more manageable (but still not particularly fun); 2) there's some nightlife there -- not a lot but it's progressively getting better; and 3) you'll have fairly easy access to pretty much every other nightlife district via public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: