Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:59 PM

537 posts, read 1,035,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Owning a boat in Chicago is no longer within an average man's ability to begin with. I am not saying someone is wealthy that owns a boat in the city-but there is no way the person is hurting. Don't take offense...

And the little fees add up really quickly if one did things in the burbs that require fees on a regular basis. The total amount can easily add up to $1000 or more a year.
No offense taken you are correct, my wife and I have two cars that are 10 and 8 yrs old respectively. The cost of owning the boat is about what new cars would cost, so we chose the boat. Sorry for slight thread derail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 08:32 PM

622 posts, read 1,197,195 times
3 grand isn't bad for such a beautiful location. when i lived in kalamazoo it was about that much for a good berth on gull lake or in south haven.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:59 PM

537 posts, read 1,035,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
3 grand isn't bad for such a beautiful location. when i lived in kalamazoo it was about that much for a good berth on gull lake or in south haven.
The skyline is beautiful that's where the benefits stop. The amenities in pretty much every harbor except Burnham are atrocious, there are no restaurants, bars, boat friendly beaches, etc.

If you could put South Haven on the west side of the Lake I'd move my boat there and pay more in a heartbeat. The nicest marina in Illinois is very likely Northpoint up in Zion, but the 1+ hour drive to get there kills any benefits.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:55 PM

57 posts, read 66,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Lets put this another way, the way Nike thinks this through (or any business for that matter).

Why aren't they giving out free shoes... Say to me? I could use a new pair, and when I walk around people will see I am wearing Nike and buy their shoes. But that wouldn't be a cost profit of them would they... They would probably have to have maybe 10 people buy Nike shoes based on what they thought my pair was worth.

Now why would they want to put Nike sign by the lake front mile marker? I can guarantee you they have analyzed the market (mostly runners/joggers/walkers) and analyzed the traffic that goes down the lake front. Any laymen would be able to see that is a high traffic, specific market subset. They figured that the 100K they put up here would generate them a pretty high income as there are hundreds of thousands of people who will pass by these. The City of Chicago Park District people are probably in on it, got a cut back for it, and see no problem selling out the public for corporate interests.

This is how the game is played.
Ok, but this should only work to their advantage if you are a pre-teen girl, easily influenced, and unsure of your place in the world. Them putting up a pretty sign doesn't equal me running out to buy their ill fitting shoes. I'm a Mizuno girl.

I get your point about not selling public space for advertisements, but the argument that they will unduly influence poor, unsuspecting runners/joggers/walkers is just silly. Just Don't Do It.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:01 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,885,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninfree View Post
Ok, but this should only work to their advantage if you are a pre-teen girl, easily influenced, and unsure of your place in the world. Them putting up a pretty sign doesn't equal me running out to buy their ill fitting shoes. I'm a Mizuno girl.

I get your point about not selling public space for advertisements, but the argument that they will unduly influence poor, unsuspecting runners/joggers/walkers is just silly. Just Don't Do It.
That's not how that kind of advertising works - all they want is a bazillion views of their logo/name. It has a subliminal and cumulative effect over time.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:18 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,380,510 times
Personally, I think many posters are making too big of a deal out of the fact the Nike 'swoosh'(correct me if my spelling is wrong, this is usually how I've seen it spelled) logo is now on the new mile marker signs for the lakefront path. I could care less if they put a logo as barely noticeable(and which one can ignore, like I do) as the swoosh logo on it. If it prevents some Chicago Park District related fees and taxes from going up, and makes it less costly for them to do sign maintenance, I'm for it. And hey, big fregging deal if I am in the minority(along with SJaye) on C-D in holding this opinion.

The appearance of the Nike swoosh logo on lakefront path mileage signs will not influence my shoe purchases one bit. They already don't go to Nike, and haven't for many, many years. (since IIRC, when I was a teen) End of me posting any further on this thread.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:21 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
...I could care less if they put a logo as barely noticeable(and which one can ignore, like I do) as the swoosh logo on it. If it prevents some Chicago Park District related fees and taxes from going up, and makes it less costly for them to do sign maintenance, I'm for it....
How long have you lived in Chicago?

You honestly believe things like this will prevent some Chicago Park District fees and taxes from going up?

Now that's funny.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:29 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Personally, I think many posters are making too big of a deal out of the fact the Nike 'swoosh'(correct me if my spelling is wrong, this is usually how I've seen it spelled) logo is now on the new mile marker signs for the lakefront path. I could care less if they put a logo as barely noticeable(and which one can ignore, like I do) as the swoosh logo on it. If it prevents some Chicago Park District related fees and taxes from going up, and makes it less costly for them to do sign maintenance, I'm for it. And hey, big fregging deal if I am in the minority(along with SJaye) on C-D in holding this opinion.

The appearance of the Nike swoosh logo on lakefront path mileage signs will not influence my shoe purchases one bit. They already don't go to Nike, and haven't for many, many years. (since IIRC, when I was a teen) End of me posting any further on this thread.
heh, the issue at hand is going over your head.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:01 PM

622 posts, read 1,197,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
The skyline is beautiful that's where the benefits stop. The amenities in pretty much every harbor except Burnham are atrocious, there are no restaurants, bars, boat friendly beaches, etc.

If you could put South Haven on the west side of the Lake I'd move my boat there and pay more in a heartbeat. The nicest marina in Illinois is very likely Northpoint up in Zion, but the 1+ hour drive to get there kills any benefits.

thanks for the heads up. so there's nowhere within reasonable distance you can go to and anchor your boat and walk to the beach? hmmmm.....not so good i guess. i've been spoiled living in michigan for the last decade!

Old 10-28-2010, 03:09 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
thanks for the heads up. so there's nowhere within reasonable distance you can go to and anchor your boat and walk to the beach? hmmmm.....not so good i guess. i've been spoiled living in michigan for the last decade!
Who would watch your boat? Anything that is not nailed down does and can get stolen in Chicago.

If you had a space in Montrose Harbor you could easily walk to Montrose Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago