Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 12:39 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,604,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
"Culture" encompasses a lot of things, but one could easily separate out "diversity" as it relates to food, built environment (architecture), music scene, entertainment scene, race, breadth of transit access, economic diversity, zoning (varied mixes of residential, retail, commercial, industrial, public use, etc), etc.
Thank you. There are still many of us that think on multiple levels. I am glad you do too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Diversity of cultures...Lots of types of diversity.
Yes. And diversity of cultures do not necessarily mean diversity of races. Culture does not always equal race.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:34 PM

103 posts, read 159,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Yes. And diversity of cultures do not necessarily mean diversity of races. Culture does not always equal race.
You seem incredibly dense. It is probably quite a chore to attempt a conversation with you.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizu View Post
You seem incredibly dense. It is probably quite a chore to attempt a conversation with you.
Wow, you seem quite eager at shifting a fitting description of yourself onto others.

Cultural diversity exists even between Europeans, but yet all in current times are considered from the same race. For example compare a Swede, an Italian, an Irishman, and a Serbian.

If you do not think that is an example of diversity you are quite hopeless.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:54 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,617,107 times
No one would argue that a Swede, an Italian, an irishman and a Serbian are not culturally different. If they were all the same it wouldn't make much difference where one traveled in Europe, right? Obviously, that's not the case.

But a bunch of second, third and fourth generation Americans no longer have much, if anything, in common with their European ancestors. They might have racial characteristic differences like one might have blond hair and one might tan more easily, but they are not going to be culturally different.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:41 PM

3 posts, read 4,559 times
Thank you, everyone, for all of your help! I've started to look up the areas that you've all suggested. I'm liking the idea of moving to Chicago even more after all this research. I see that I'll have to be more flexible with my budget, though. Please feel free to leave more comments if anything else comes to mind.

Btw, thank you for having a discussion on cultural diversity as well. =)

Old 10-17-2010, 09:58 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zizu View Post
Anyone, including Avengefire (and, I assume, me), can be a dense prick now and then, but you seem to think that your narrow understanding is not only "correct" but widely accepted as the only possible understanding. Which simply isn't the case.

Your attitude actually reminds me of when I was in high school and I'd write a paper and have my mother proofread it (she was a professional proofreader, so it was a good help to me). Sometimes she'd tell me that things didn't make sense, and I'd be shocked because at first I wouldn't be able to see any other possible way to interpret what I'd written because I didn't have enough background to know the alternatives. But eventually I started to realize I needed to do a better job of checking my own assumptions and perspective before settling on a sentence or paragraph.

You might want to consider learning from my mistakes in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago