Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 02:06 AM

422 posts, read 812,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valedan View Post
Planning to live downtown. Best neighborhoods, best public schools.
Kids friendly apartments. Indoors activities during winter.
Just a friendly reminder of what the OP's original post was. If there is anything in that post that hints the OP wants to live in a suburb I would sure like someone to point it out to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 12:47 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default I actually agree with most of what chicago103 says, for folks who express a desire to live in a high rise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago103 View Post
This thread really takes the cake. Here we are on the Chicago forum where the OP stated that they wanted to live IN DOWNTOWN CHICAGO, works downtown, open to apartment living and has $3K a month they are willing to spend and then gradually the discussion reaches the point where people are recommending the OP MOVE TO THE SUBURBS?!?!?!?! I mean I am sorry but that is just plain nuts. I mean if I told a poster that specifically said they wanted to live in the suburbs that they should move to downtown Chicago instead people would want my head examined.

Seriously see what apartments are available in the John Hancock Center. I lived there for two years and in this economy you could probably get a great two bedroom apartment for $3K a month. It is across the street from Water Tower Place, within walking distance of Ogden School that others have mentioned as a good CPS and the building itself has a swimming pool and other fun amenities for kids both inside and outside the building. Zero commute, not even a need to own a car even though the building does have parking and walking distance to everything, a grocery store and restaurants right inside the building. I can even recommend a good realtor who lives in the building to you. It sure as hell beats living in the suburbs, driving to a Metra Station to hop on a train that takes you to a terminal more than a mile away from Water Tower Place and then having to take some kind of CTA bus to work.
As other have stated, the OP did initially mention living "in the Loop" when posters helpfully pointed out that there are no elementary schools in the Loop and the OP clarified that her desire was more than her husband would have a commute that was brief that opened a whole range of possibilities, some of which are distinctily "un urban" despite have that coveted 606xx zip code...

If you detect a bit of snear in that last comment you need not be particularly perceptive to understand that I personally have very different feeling about the unique magic that comes with paying taxes to the dysfunctional City of Chicago and the nearly hopelessly messed up CPS.

Yes, I will take things a bit far afield to make my point, but I challenge anyone to show me what is particularly "hip, urban, cool, with it, etc" of living out in the NW fringe of Chicago so you have some fantabulously spiffy place like this: 6327 N KARLOV Ave, CHICAGO, IL 60646 | MLS# 07647460 and its phenomenal tax bill of T $4,674.22 with an asking price of $299,900 just screams "buy me now". It is kind of a steal compared to this nearby place that has all the curb appeal of airport terminal parking hut: 5954 N FOREST GLEN Ave, CHICAGO, IL 60646 | MLS# 07456696 Ask: $419,000 Tax: $5,563(though I believe the tax as a percentage of asking price on lower on this beaut, go figure...)

Old 11-07-2010, 07:30 PM

14 posts, read 26,292 times
I think your options are pretty good. I think your biggest issue is that you want a 10-15 minute commute. That's slightly unrealistic for your budget and goals. The average Chicagoian (not suburban, just city folk) is 44 minutes each way. Along the lakeshore (Buena Park, Edgewater), there are express busses which your husband would take (Quite Fast). West Lakeview / Southport Corridor / Roscoe Village / North Center have more of the kid amenities that you want, and are at least within reach of your budget and have 30 minute-ish commutes. Andersonville is probably what you want, but your budget would probably have to go up a tiny bit. You likely can't afford Lincoln Park or Lakeview. $3000 buys you a college student apartment.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:36 PM

14 posts, read 26,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lickylicky View Post
What? A 3 bedroom can easily be found for $1500 or even less in all of those areas.
Not respectable ones you'd want to live in. And no, you can't do $1500 for a 3 bedroom in Lincoln Park, and even if you could find one, it's only because it's old and has tenant paid heat and your heat bill will be $800.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:46 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

Yes, I will take things a bit far afield to make my point, but I challenge anyone to show me what is particularly "hip, urban, cool, with it, etc" of living out in the NW fringe of Chicago so you have some fantabulously spiffy place like this: 6327 N KARLOV Ave, CHICAGO, IL 60646 | MLS# 07647460 and its phenomenal tax bill of T $4,674.22 with an asking price of $299,900 just screams "buy me now".
How about it's 12 miles from State and Madison, 4 miles from the Lake, and in a good elementary school boundary which tests in the 91% percentile and made AVP requirements?

Old 11-08-2010, 02:11 AM

422 posts, read 812,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post
How about it's 12 miles from State and Madison, 4 miles from the Lake, and in a good elementary school boundary which tests in the 91% percentile and made AVP requirements?
Yes and call me crazy but I think those two houses have more charm than most houses in the suburbs. I don't understand why so many people on here think those houses look so horrible. It may not be as nice as a mansion in Kenilworth that most people can't afford but there are plenty of people that would be glad to live in houses as nice as those on the northwest side, its insulting to suggest otherwise. From reading a number of threads on this forum a lot of people come off as rich snobs.

Also no one refuted what I said about living in an apartment in the John Hancock Center across the street from Water Tower Place and sending kids to Ogden CPS within walking distance. The OP clearly wants to live as close to the Loop as possible so the northwest and southwest sides are the furthest out that should be even discussed, the suburbs are just too far.

I mean what does one have to say to not have someone recommend a suburb? "I work at State and Madison, want to live as close as possible in the Loop without a car in an condo/apartment on the 20th floor minimum and my budget is under $20K a month rental or $5 million to own, kids are in boarding school at Andover". "No, you can't live there because an old lady was robbed near there in 1976 and you will save five cents on your property tax bill if you move to that new highrise condo building in Naperville and the local CPS kids will somehow send brain cell killing rays to your kids at Andover".

Last edited by chicago103; 11-08-2010 at 02:52 AM..

Old 11-08-2010, 05:57 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default As mentioned repeatedly on this thread...

The OP began by asking for something that would give her husband a short commute to work. The actual linear distance to the Loop and North Michicgan Ave employment hubs is LOWER to / from Oak Park than either the SW or NW sides. Because of excellent Metra service and multiple CTA options commutting from Oak Park is quicker than anything short of living in the decidedly urban River North / West Loop, niehtrr of which are prized for their familynfriendly qualities. Once one considers the rewltive ease of relying on Metra a whole world of options opens up. Perhaps those options freighten some, however the synergy / vibrancy of the region is, in my view, enhanced by making mothers aware of the range of housing that still can get them to jobs in Chicago and allow them tom enjoy a pleasant home life.

There was no mention of a desire to have a zip code that was 606xx.

There was no mention of a any particular desire to live in a high rise.

There was no mention of any particular affection for the high cost of living associated with being inside Chicago.

Had the OP mentioned an unlimited budget or desire to live in a part of Chicago that, aside from poorly run city services, high costs and bleak propects might as well be a suburb, your excellent suggestions would be most helpful.

So far as I aware, the brain cell killing rays of doom generally are ineffective outside the walls of poor performing CPS sites thus the recommemdation is merely to avoid being in direct contact with said facilities....

Old 11-08-2010, 07:02 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
The cheapest 3 bed place currently available in Water Tower Place (on the MLS at least) goes for $6900 per month.

There is however a rental available a little down the street for $2900 which would probably be nicer than WTP anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago