Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:02 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee District / North (MD-N) Schedule

While I cannot disagree there are dozens of burbs with far longer travel times I will argue that given the relatively short distances involved the speeds attained from either station are nothing to cheer about. Further, the tie- in to other modes of transportation that would be required from the NW reaches of Chciago to North Michicagn Ave seems likely to push the whole trip well past an hour.

Given the relatively modest passenger volumes from those stations I fully stand by my assertion that there are several suburbs that would beat that travel time.

The folks trapped inside the walls that come with City of Chicago employment drive prices far beyond what otherwise is justifiable, with many of the folks in those areas living an existence that is indistinguishable from that in much nicer suburbs except for higher costs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 08:47 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...Further, the tie- in to other modes of transportation that would be required from the NW reaches of Chciago to North Michicagn Ave seems likely to push the whole trip well past an hour...

...Given the relatively modest passenger volumes from those stations I fully stand by my assertion that there are several suburbs that would beat that travel time...
There are not many. Go ahead and list those that you think have less of a travel time on public transit. Just about any you list still have the issue of getting from a Metra station or CTA Station to Water Tower Place.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:48 PM

736 posts, read 1,695,281 times
What's Elburn like?

Old 10-13-2010, 10:58 AM

12 posts, read 22,340 times
Does anyone can give me any information regarding O.A. Thorp Scholastic Academy Elementary School?

Old 10-13-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valedan View Post
Does anyone can give me any information regarding O.A. Thorp Scholastic Academy Elementary School?
I know several people that graduated from there. It was good. I can't speak to what it is like now. It is a gifted school, but there may be exemption for neighborhood kids. You will have to check their website or the CPS website to see.

If you are looking to move to that area try to stay as close to Irving as possible. Also stay west of Austin.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:46 PM

Thank you! What about La Salle Language Academy? Does anyone have any comment about it?

Old 10-13-2010, 03:21 PM

How expensive are the utilities in Chicago?

Old 10-13-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valedan View Post
How expensive are the utilities in Chicago?
That is not easily answered. It depends on if your heat is radiator or central heat. Central air or window units. There are many variables.

There are a couple of threads on this stuff that discuss at length. Try searching the forum.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:16 AM

537 posts, read 1,034,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The OP mentioned a desire to have a short commute, in my mind that makes Sauganash and Edgebrook worse than many suburbs.
Your disdain of pretty much any part of the city for people with school age children is really starting to interest me. Actually looking at some of your posts, it appears to be a disdain for pretty much Chicago as a whole regardless of children. Can you explain the cause of this?

Here are the travel times from various NW side areas, Olgivie and Union are 2 blocks apart, travel time from either endpoint to Michigan ave will be about the same.

UP-NW line
Jeff Park to Olgivie 22 minutes
Norwood Park to Olvgivie 26 minutes
Edison Park to Olgivie 31 minutes

The fasted express line outside of Chicago on this line is Park Ridge at 25 minutes, this 1-6 minute savings over Norwood or Edison Park gets you twice the property tax for the same priced home.

MD- North Line
Edgebrook to Union 31 minutes
Forest Glen to Union 27 minutes

The fastest express line outside of Chicago on this line is Morton Grove at 28 minutes. So in this case there is exactly ONE stop outside of Chicago which is quicker than Edgebrook.

I believe the UP - West line to Oak Park running express at 18 minutes, is the only suburb with what anyone would consider a notably faster commute. That is of course if someone considers 8-13 minutes a big difference. It's really as though you aren't aware Metra has MANY stops within Chicago.

It's one thing to have an opinion and dislike Chicago for whatever reason, it's completely different to simply make things up and do a disservice to the original poster and forum as a whole.

Last edited by tomcho; 11-06-2010 at 12:32 AM..

Old 11-06-2010, 01:55 AM

422 posts, read 812,754 times
This thread really takes the cake. Here we are on the Chicago forum where the OP stated that they wanted to live IN DOWNTOWN CHICAGO, works downtown, open to apartment living and has $3K a month they are willing to spend and then gradually the discussion reaches the point where people are recommending the OP MOVE TO THE SUBURBS?!?!?!?! I mean I am sorry but that is just plain nuts. I mean if I told a poster that specifically said they wanted to live in the suburbs that they should move to downtown Chicago instead people would want my head examined.

Seriously see what apartments are available in the John Hancock Center. I lived there for two years and in this economy you could probably get a great two bedroom apartment for $3K a month. It is across the street from Water Tower Place, within walking distance of Ogden School that others have mentioned as a good CPS and the building itself has a swimming pool and other fun amenities for kids both inside and outside the building. Zero commute, not even a need to own a car even though the building does have parking and walking distance to everything, a grocery store and restaurants right inside the building. I can even recommend a good realtor who lives in the building to you. It sure as hell beats living in the suburbs, driving to a Metra Station to hop on a train that takes you to a terminal more than a mile away from Water Tower Place and then having to take some kind of CTA bus to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago