Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 02:15 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times

Advertisements

The pickup truck is going to be your major headache...Can you just leave it with family or something? If you live in the "vibrant" areas you want to live in, a car will not be necessary.
I have a vintage car and I would not think of parking it in Chicago, I keep it garaged at my parents in FL and drive it when I am there.
I have a Jetta here that I share, and even that is oftentimes hard to squeeze in a spot. A little hatchback 2 Door Civic or something would be awesome though. If it was just me, I would not have a car here in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 02:23 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odannyboi View Post
I'm calling BS on this. Every mexican that lives here owns a big ass SUV/Van/Truck and it don't seem to bother them.
Most mexicans do not live in the "hip" yuppie friendly areas of the city.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
I'm calling BS on this. Every mexican that lives here owns a big ass SUV/Van/Truck and it don't seem to bother them.
Shaddap

Old 10-10-2010, 03:33 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Most mexicans do not live in the "hip" yuppie friendly areas of the city.
I would agree with this. Live on the west or south side or even less "hip" area of the northside then parking is not a big problem. Live in downtown, gold cost, Lincoln park, lakeview, bucktown even parts of greek town and parking is an issuse.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:48 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
Quote:
Pretty sure they're not living in areas where a 1 bed place costs $1,000 per month.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:41 PM

396 posts, read 925,740 times
What are you guys talking about? I see SUVs parked all the time in yuppie areas.

The good thing about the having an F150 is you can ram the cars in front and back to make room for a parking spot. Joking aside...Its kinda how everyone in a yuppie neighborhood parks..

Old 10-10-2010, 06:36 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I think I read on one of the threads that if you can find a garage the added cose is as much as $200 per month. But, what no one mentioned is that you can rent a Zip car by the hour (?) in Chicago for short periods while you shop or ?? Trying to find parking in the Loop during the day is a nightmare unless you are there very early. No one mentioned the damage that is done to nice vehicles that sit on the street unattended. I have an F-150, too. it is the last vehicle I would drive into the city. It was enough of a chore to find a place to park a full size Ford.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:18 PM

57 posts, read 171,148 times
Hi!

I am planning to move to Chicago to in May and I having been looking into a lot of things, especially to do with my car. I am moving from Michigan and can not imagine not having a car. Yet, it seems like most people don't have one. I've heard some people talk about igo or something which is where you can rent a car (seems like it's pretty easy and it's 24/7), in case you have to go somewhere far.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:04 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetkisses4511 View Post
Hi!

I am planning to move to Chicago to in May and I having been looking into a lot of things, especially to do with my car. I am moving from Michigan and can not imagine not having a car. Yet, it seems like most people don't have one. I've heard some people talk about igo or something which is where you can rent a car (seems like it's pretty easy and it's 24/7), in case you have to go somewhere far.
Most people in Chicago do have a car but there are certain places where driving one is not a good idea and certain places where parking one is not a good idea.

He could have his pick up truck on the far southside with a lot less hassle, but he would be rather distant from the locations he mentioned. Shall we say most of the south side isn’t yuppie land and does not have the same parking problem.

Basically if you work downtown, odds are you will not be driving downtown due to expensive parking and traffic going out of downtown.

If you live in certain north side neighborhoods parking can be very bad. Lincoln park, Gold Coast, Lakeview, and Buck town have major parking issues. In these places owning a car could be a problem and if you are going to work downtown from these areas you have even less reason to own a car.

Other spots in town have parking problems but nowhere near to the extent of those areas and in some areas you could park a school bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: