Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2007, 09:16 PM

7 posts, read 25,276 times

Advertisements

ahhh.
i just had to quit my part-time job because we can not afford childcare for our two children ages 4 and 1. we do not qualify for childcare assistance and we are not going to lie to get it...so does anyone know what to do???
i need your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 07:33 AM

198 posts, read 822,676 times
I totally understand your problem, after my third child there were some pay periods when it took about three weeks for a paycheck that I actually owed more than I got paid when I added my commute (Metra) costs. Being in management I used to get told how I didn't understand the support staff's financial woes when it came time to give out raises (which I think they thought I had more control over but didn't) but with their government assisted childcare they took home more than I did. When promoted I was asked to assume duties that required me to work more hours and after 9 months I left the company because my mother-in-law who was helping me watch the kids after daycare closed (day care was open 7am-6pm) and in the morning when I had early meetings was physically drained and couldn't handle it anymore. Choosing another daycare facility was financially unfeasible based on the hours expected by my job. So I left sadly after nearly 13 years a job I really loved. But when one door closes, another always opens and I turned my hobby and passion for real estate into my career and I too needed to find babysitters for those times when I needed to take clients out, attend closings or inspections or prepare a listing. So I have been through this and I needed to keep costs down because I typically wasn't getting paid the day the sitter came.
So here are some of my suggestions : If you live close to a college you might ask if you can post adds on bulletin boards at the student centers, in the education department or in the dorms. The problem with most day care centers is that they don't discount enough or at all for part-time attendance and you pay by the child, not by the hour. I asked my daughter's friends moms and former co-workers who had older children if they were interested in sitting. I called my high school and found out that there was a group of alumni that started a service that hired the current students. I asked my church's youth group leader if there was a teenager who was interested (that's how I got my summer job as a nanny when I was younger). Most effective however was going to the pool with my children where my then 5 year old who loves older kids would find sitters (any 14 or 15 year old willing to spend an hour with my child at the pool when she came to hang out with her friends with no expectation of payment was hired as far as I was concerned). Set the price up front - I do pay different amounts depending on the age of the sitter and whether they have to drive my kids to activities or are just hanging at the house or the pool. Good Luck - I know it's not as easy as everyone thinks it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago