Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,494 times

Advertisements

I've lived with roommates or in basic studios for years and I finally want a nice 1br place for myself. I'm looking for an october move-in, and finding very little on craigslist. basically, I want to rent a modern, fairly new 1br place, bigger kitchen, marble/granite and all that jazz. balcony would be nice but I won't be able to use it for the next 6 months so not that big a deal. high ceilings would be awesome. yes, I'm mostly describing a cookie cutter new construction condo, but that's still a step up from where I've been living and I've never really cared for "vintage".

I'd like to spend no more than 1400 (don't need parking), but everything on craigslist that looks nice is 1800+ which seems a bit ridiculous given the market value of the properties themselves. am I way off base here, or am I just looking at the wrong time of year, or too picky, or what? is it worth trying an apartment broker for this type of place? I'm looking primarily in the west loop, bucktown/wicker, old town, or north center, if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 11:34 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,140,736 times
I'm surprised you haven't found something like that at 1400 yet. Even so, no reason you can't try negotiating down a few hundred bucks.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:08 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,976,394 times
I am very surprised as well. If by the west loop I imagine you are looking at the greek town area. I saw a few modern 1br lofts in doorman buildings go for that range in the past 6 months. If your only looking for a 6 month lease that could be your problem

Old 08-25-2010, 01:30 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,404,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbs View Post
I've lived with roommates or in basic studios for years and I finally want a nice 1br place for myself. I'm looking for an october move-in, and finding very little on craigslist. basically, I want to rent a modern, fairly new 1br place, bigger kitchen, marble/granite and all that jazz. balcony would be nice but I won't be able to use it for the next 6 months so not that big a deal. high ceilings would be awesome. yes, I'm mostly describing a cookie cutter new construction condo, but that's still a step up from where I've been living and I've never really cared for "vintage".

I'd like to spend no more than 1400 (don't need parking), but everything on craigslist that looks nice is 1800+ which seems a bit ridiculous given the market value of the properties themselves. am I way off base here, or am I just looking at the wrong time of year, or too picky, or what? is it worth trying an apartment broker for this type of place? I'm looking primarily in the west loop, bucktown/wicker, old town, or north center, if that helps.
Besides West Loop, the other areas highlighted don't really have the housing that you are describing...I would concentrate more on Southloop/Rivernorth/Streeter/Gold Coast. A quick craigslist search came back with a handful of places that meet your criteria

Old 08-25-2010, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbs View Post

yeah

Old 08-25-2010, 03:20 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,746,157 times
"can I rent a nice condo for $1400?"

Yes.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:58 PM

6,024 posts, read 15,390,349 times
op need to actually put in the footwork and look harder. I've found 2 bedrooms under that price w/ tons of amenities. OP, we're not going to do your work for you; keep looking (in 10 seconds, I've found 10 apartments that fit the description)

Old 08-25-2010, 05:21 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,608,752 times
should be easy!, i am trying to rent "nice" for around 1k and finding lots to look at...you should probably refine the CL search, also look on chicago reader, etc. But, me and my gf look everyday for about 3-4 hours a day so...we literally scan through every single listing as lots are listed miscategorized..

Old 08-26-2010, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
op need to actually put in the footwork and look harder. I've found 2 bedrooms under that price w/ tons of amenities. OP, we're not going to do your work for you; keep looking (in 10 seconds, I've found 10 apartments that fit the description)
to clarify, I wasn't asking you to do the work, I was just asking if, in peoples' experiences, they've seen/rented higher-end condos for that price, and if they tend to be offered through brokers vs craigslist.

I've spent a lot of time on craigslist and the vast majority of what I found was apartment buildings (not privately owned condos) and broker spam, I've found maybe 3 or 4 condos. maybe I'm not looking closely enough, so I'll continue searching, but it seems like people here think what I want is out there, so that's good to know.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:55 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,732,739 times
I agree with prelude,that several of the neighborhoods you're looking at simply don't have all that many condos for rent -- the places that overbuilt a bit in the last several years are going to be your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago