Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 08:46 AM

512 posts, read 1,637,599 times

Advertisements

Let me first start off by saying that I instantly fell in love with Chicago. I'm coming from the D.C. area (Prince George's County, MD). My wife and I stayed at the Palmer house downtown. Nice hotel. Anyway I was there to tag along with my wife as she was there for a convention. So that gave me time to explore the city. I was just impressed with the buildings, the people were pretty friendly and I didn't get a sense that the city was in a rush to do things. Now mind you this is from the mind set of a visitor, so I don't know how it is to live there. One thing that I did notice is that things close early around there. Quite interesting for a city that is probably 3.5 times bigger than D.C.

Anyway for each city I visit I usually post something positive about the city and really bring a postive spin on cities that I have enjoyed. The vibrancy, the different ethnicities and the restaurants. Loved them all. I had more fun here than in Las Vegas. I'll definitely will be back to visit again. Peace to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 10:31 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,477,336 times
Default Cost containment and business hours...

Things on State St do close early. I think this is because the far away executives that dictate store hours based on analysis of receipts look at the operating hours as an expense. I think this is short sighted. I know that there are lots of people that would like to use Macys as more of a social spot, but the dollar value of having a "show place" does not factor into the accountants mind set that they use in running the store... Heck even some suburban malls have expanded their evening / weekend hours as the merchants know that a closed store doesn't make any money, while an open store allows people frequenting the restaurants something to do after having a meal. You go into the Apple Store or Barnes&Noble in a mall and there are folks caring leftoovers from WildFire or CalPizzaKitchen. The merchants on State St used to be local run and recognize the value of extended hours for keeping the core of the city vital. That lesson has been picked up by the folks that run better suburban malls...

Old 07-28-2010, 08:08 AM

258 posts, read 761,381 times
Huh??? Macy's is open until 8 pm every night but Sunday. Border's is open til 9 every night but Sunday. They're not nightclubs.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:39 PM

40 posts, read 65,791 times
jayman - I moved here from DC several years ago and haven't looked back. DC is culturally rich but so transient, everyone is just visiting so there's very little cohesion - Chicago has a much more local feel, and the people are very well-balanced between work and life, not a consumption-by-career mentality as there is in DC and the northeast. The architecture and skyline are also much nicer than DC's low-rise cement boxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago