Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:58 AM

258 posts, read 1,004,062 times

Advertisements

I'm 28 and my girlfriend is 24, and we are looking at going to a club and a bar during the 4th of July weekend.. we are coming from Michigan and only have time to go out 1 night, possibly 2, I was looking up the best dance clubs for people in their mid to late 20's, and I came across 4: Sound Bar, Berlin, Crobar, or Enclave, which is the best? Also if there is one better then those let me know. Also 3 bars kind of stood out, Butch McGuires, the Lodge, and Original Mother's. (We want to go to bars near Division and Clark.) Also if there are any others please let me know, that are better, (meaning busy, fun, good entertainment). We are staying on Ontario Street, so we want to be near there or north of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 08:49 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
I've always heard the Lodge was for recently divorced people. I had to go check it out, and DID meet one of the local weathergirls all wasted - so how could you go wrong there. Just FYI....

Berlin is open to everyone, but is more gay than not. FYI.

McGuires is cool, but if you're not hell bent on Division Street bars, there's a good time up along Lincoln in Lincoln Park, or dozens of places in Lakeview to get a real city experience. I feel Division has a lot more visitors than when you finally get north of North Ave.

Don't know enough to comment on the others.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:57 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Skip Butch McGuires, the Lodge, and Original Mother's. It is filled mostly with tourists,transplants,etc... If you want a more of a true experience go somewhere else. I guess it wouldn't hurt going to one of those for a little bit to just check it out. Heck you would be better off going to the Regal Beagle even...

http://www.reaglebeaglechicago.com/

Btw there are lots of gays in Sound Bar, Berlin, Crobar, or Enclave. Crobar and Berlin have the most on most days.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:31 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
I thought Crobar closed? If it hasn't already, it is closing. It will be reopened as a new club.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
usually the more gays the better the club...better djs, cleaner, more lively, more dancing, less grinding.. etc. and this is coming from a straight guy who likes house music...

Old 06-17-2010, 08:23 AM

Well I dont want to be hit on by some gays, so I dont really know what club would be good to go to. I heard Clark and Division area was fun what bars are good there? If there are better bars in Lakeview or Lincoln Park what bars are those?

Old 06-17-2010, 10:11 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
Clark and Division is fun for tourists moreso than not. Tourists telling other tourists where they've been. Like people who go to San Fran and stick to Fisherman's Warf, or NYC and Times Square.

Nothing wrong with it, but at least I tend to have a more fulfilling experience getting into places with locals. You'll get more interaction, usually a bit more relaxed, a more "Chicago" experience.

If you want to be safe as far as finding a lot of bars, take the Red Line up from Grand to Adison (or cab) to Clark and Addison, see Wrigley, and then head down Clark street towards School Street. Bars bars everywhere.

Piano bar at Sluggers (upstairs)
Irish Oak
Uberstein (just for the hell of it, and my bartenders are friends and need your tips)
Johnny O'hagans
Redmonds
really just anything....

Another cool and good looking area where you can walk to a lot of different places is Lincoln Ave, basically between Armitage and Belden (google maps) Red Line is easy from Grand up to Fullerton. Takes 10 minutes.

Lion's Head
Kelsey's
Kendall's They're all next door to each other.
Stanleys is down the street
Barleycorn

Anyone agree? Maybe those are too "college". I have fun when I go...but I'm easy.

As far as the clubs, I wouldn't really finalize a decision just cause a gay guy might hit on your. There are other clubs with a straight crowd, but you're going to have a little more pretenciousness, and pay more from what I've seen. The ones listed above are a good time.

It's not like they're "infested" with gays anyway. Everyone is just going with the flow, having a good time. I doubt a guy would come hit on you (maybe at Berlin, that's the gayest), but if so I'd just live and let live. That's obviously a personal call though, but just my 2 cents.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:26 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
I'm not really into either the Rush/Division or Wrigleyville bar scene, but I've hung out in both areas more than I'd like to admit (mostly for Bachelor parties lately), and Wrigleyville is certainly preferable for that "drink till you puke and hit on hot women" experience. It's sort of frat boy post-college party mixed with a bit of Bourbon Street, and it can get really crazy on summer weekends. But it's still better than Rush Street.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:43 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
what is wrong with gay people? so what if they hit on you...maybe you should stay in michigan, b/c that could happen to you anywhere in chicago, if you don't look like a donkey.

i guess i am with other posters now, better stick to rush/division and wrigleyville to avoid teh gayz :/

really though, i don't think you need to worry unless you are at berlin on drag/shower show night.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:26 AM

Ok what about piano bars? What are some good ones in Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: