Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 01:35 PM

6 posts, read 19,385 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband may get transferred to Naperville. My son is currently in a spanish immersion program in MN so we are looking for a similar program which is turning out to be hard to get into (have already filled classes for next year). I did find something in West Chicago - what is that area like? What areas near Naperville are nice to live in? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 03:01 PM

37 posts, read 142,999 times
Default Spanish Immersion

A 5 minute ride into Aurora and you'll be able to find pockets in Aurora where nobody can speak any English all spanish speaking businesses, etc.

I say that half jokinly as I know your looking for school programs but in all seriousness I learned more spanish working at a landscaping company than I ever learned in a spanish class, and the spanish I learned is actually like that that is spoken, not the spanish they teach you in class that nobody you run into in real everdya life would ever understand.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:03 PM

Default Spanish Immersion

A 5 minute ride into Aurora and you'll be able to find pockets in Aurora where nobody can speak any English all spanish speaking businesses, etc.

I say that half jokinly as I know your looking for school programs but in all seriousness I learned more spanish working at a landscaping company than I ever learned in a spanish class, and the spanish I learned is actually like that that is spoken, not the spanish they teach you in class that nobody you run into in real everdya life would ever understand.

The schools in Naperville do offer spanish and I think all the high schools hav espanish clubs. Naperville has a ton of programs for kids so if you want your child to learn spanish there will be plenty of opportunites through the park district, school, private tutoring, etc.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:45 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,808,411 times
West chicago or aurora would be a better option for what you are looking for. Both have a strong hispanic presence and their schools will be more inapt to assist with your child.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the info., but are they nice places to live? We live in a really good school district in MN and in a nice suburb and want the same thing there. We have Chinese and Spanish immersion options and we are excited to see that IL has a lot of Spanish dual language programs too. Is West Chicago like Naperville at all? Going to visit next week, but just trying to get the vibe of different areas so we can narrow down our search since we only have one weekend to look. TIA!

Old 04-16-2010, 10:04 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,451 times
the naperville high schools don't really have too many hispanics. west chicago is a decent city. aurora is cool, there is a lot to do there. west aurora is a better school district than east aurora.

Interactive Illinois Report Card - naperville central
Interactive Illinois Report Card - naperville north
Interactive Illinois Report Card - waubonsie valley
Interactive Illinois Report Card - east aurora
Interactive Illinois Report Card - west aurora
Interactive Illinois Report Card - west chicago

Old 04-17-2010, 08:17 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,808,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by postce View Post
Thanks for the info., but are they nice places to live? We live in a really good school district in MN and in a nice suburb and want the same thing there. We have Chinese and Spanish immersion options and we are excited to see that IL has a lot of Spanish dual language programs too. Is West Chicago like Naperville at all? Going to visit next week, but just trying to get the vibe of different areas so we can narrow down our search since we only have one weekend to look. TIA!
Naperville is one of the premier burbs' and west chicago and aurora are not nearly as "nice" but by no means dumps. What kind of budget are you looking at? If you've got fairly deep pocket there are some incredibly nice houses along mack road in west chicago as well as off of route 64. Aurora has some nice housing as well, just avoid the east side and downtown areas.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:32 AM

We aren't looking necessarily for a hispanic population, we aren't hispanic ourselves...the program he goes to here is spanish immersion for kids specifically who don't speak spanish to begin with. It gives them a chance to be bilingual. My husband's company will be in Naperville and a lot of people we know here say that Naperville is kind of like our area so we like that idea. However, I just spoke with the W. Chicago immersion program so that is why we were checking it out. My understanding is we would have to live in W. Chicago to go to the school so trying to figure out if W. Chicago district has a good reputation and if it is a nice place to live or if it is one of those places that people live like us that don't know any better. Not sure of our price range right now...it will vary depending on a few factors (our house sale here, job factors, etc.). What is the crime rate there? Is it low like Naperville? We live 20 min. from Mpls and there is crime, but for some reason Chicago seems scarier!

Old 04-17-2010, 09:33 AM

Btw thank you for the report card info! I will definitely look at it!

Old 04-17-2010, 09:51 AM

Default Naperville

West Chicago isn't bad but if you think Naperville is your kind of place I would guess West Chicago isn't your kind of place.

West Chicago has a bit of a gang problem, theres better areas nad worse areas, apartments in west chicago seem to have alot of the problems. I'm not an expert on West Chicago but my gf lives out that way so I'm out there from time to time and it seems to be going downhill to me.

If your husband is working in Naperville, its a great place to live. If cost is a concern you could be on the East side of Aurora which goes to Naperville schools but is cheaper housing. The name Aurora makes some people not like it but if your near Rt 59 schools your essentially in Naperville. Bolingbrook has nicer parts near boughton and webber or boughton and naper plainfield road. They also go to Naperville schools.

Lisle, Warrenville, and woodridge may also be good options
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs