Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:05 AM

82 posts, read 255,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I don't agree. I think the resources are very good but that the families, by and large, are bad and inculcate bad values. I can give endless examples from my days as a volunteer tutor in the public library around the corner from Kenwood Academy.

By the way, it's actually people like me who give Chicago hope of being integrated. I plopped down a lot of cash for a house with lots of black people around me (East Beverly, where the black people live) as well as a smaller sum years back to be around even more black people (in Woodlawn). It's not what you say; it's what you do -- especially, where you spend your money.
TRUE!

The African American family is community has a lot of family issues and external factors that need to be address and fixed asap. Def agree there. I do work at YCA and I use to do stuff with Public Allies long while ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 11:22 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecollarboy View Post
Homewood is such a beautiful neighborhood too. I love my hometown. It's perfect. But, it concerns me that so many people who lived on my neighborhood street are selling their homes. They are fleeing the neighborhood as if something terrible happen.

Omg, your neighbor is a black doctor who works at the university of chicago medical hospital. omg let's move now!!!
I think that Homewood and Flossmoor will remain to have a sizable white population for the next 10 years, much like Beverly and Hyde Park in Chicago. What I see happening is all the schools will turn majority black. Most of the schools in the village of Flossmoor are majority black now. The schools in Homewood are almost split evenly black/white. I'm very skeptical in how long that will last. Homewood 153 school district went from 76.7% white in 1999 to 43.2% white in 2009. Its either white families are not having kids, sending them to non public schools, or a combination of both?

Diversity(especially with schools) is usually temporary in the Chicago southland. What I notice is diversity last longer when the school population is mainly Hispanic and black. See Eisenhower H.S. in Blue Island and Bloom H.S. in Chicago Heights. There are alot of racists/bigot Hispanics too, but they are more willing to settle in communities or schools with a large black population than white people are.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:35 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,869,214 times
Chicagoland,

Many Hispanics only live in black neighborhoods because they cannot afford to live elsewhere. Middle class hispanics do not choose to raise their families in areas like Humboldt Park.

I agree teaching to the test is flawed but it is better than grades alone for determining aptitude. If everyone did the same level of teaching the test it would balance out and we could avoid affirmative action programs.

I will most certainly use the kaplan and sylvan if my kid is struggling in school as will many parents who are able. It does give us an unfair advantage over poor kids who cannot afford private tutors but let's face it, none of us wants our kids to fail.

Also, New Trier receives far less state funding than CPS as much of its money comes from local RE taxes. Even Meeks knows this. That is one guy that is a waste of space.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:42 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Quote:
Homewood is such a beautiful neighborhood too. I love my hometown. It's perfect. But, it concerns me that so many people who lived on my neighborhood street are selling their homes. They are fleeing the neighborhood as if something terrible happen.

Omg, your neighbor is a black doctor who works at the university of chicago medical hospital. omg let's move now!!!
You know what? I'm getting really sick of reading this on the city-data and hardly ever reading the other side of the coin.

From first hand experience with talking to people, I can tell you this for a godd@mn fact: There are a number of white families living in Park Forest, not Homewood but the much blacker and much more blue-collar town of Park Forest, who are very content with where they live and have no interest in running for the hills any time soon.

And besides, even if there may be more today, black people have lived in Homewood and all of the nearby communities for a long time. It's nothing new. Don't talk like it is. If they didn't want to live around black people then why did they move there twenty years ago?

Last edited by urza216; 04-07-2010 at 11:57 AM..

Old 04-07-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
You know what? I'm getting really sick of reading this on the city-data and hardly ever reading the other side of the coin.

From first hand experience with talking to people, I can tell you this for a godd@mn fact: There are a number of white families living in Park Forest, not Homewood but the much blacker and much more blue-collar town of Park Forest, who are very content with where they live and have no interest in running for the hills any time soon.

And besides, even if there may be more today, black people have lived in Homewood and all of the nearby communities for a long time. It's nothing new. Don't talk like it is. If they didn't want to live around black people then why did they move there twenty years ago?
Surrounding towns? Hazel Crest, East Hazel Crest and Country Club Hills were hardly African American communities 25-35 years ago. My mother friends are moving out of the neighborhood as well. It's not a huge panic yet. But, it's starting to slowly go in that direction.

There is a difference between the people of Homewood and Flossmoor vs Park Forest. For one they tend to have higher paying jobs and more education.

Last edited by whitecollarboy; 04-07-2010 at 12:42 PM..

Old 04-07-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I think that Homewood and Flossmoor will remain to have a sizable white population for the next 10 years, much like Beverly and Hyde Park in Chicago. What I see happening is all the schools will turn majority black. Most of the schools in the village of Flossmoor are majority black now. The schools in Homewood are almost split evenly black/white. I'm very skeptical in how long that will last. Homewood 153 school district went from 76.7% white in 1999 to 43.2% white in 2009. Its either white families are not having kids, sending them to non public schools, or a combination of both?

Diversity(especially with schools) is usually temporary in the Chicago southland. What I notice is diversity last longer when the school population is mainly Hispanic and black. See Eisenhower H.S. in Blue Island and Bloom H.S. in Chicago Heights. There are alot of racists/bigot Hispanics too, but they are more willing to settle in communities or schools with a large black population than white people are.
They are sending their childern to Marian Catholic.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Also, New Trier receives far less state funding than CPS as much of its money comes from local RE taxes. Even Meeks knows this. That is one guy that is a waste of space.
True. When you live in a community like Winnekta and your neighboring towns are Glencoe and Kenilworth....I mean really? But, point is all children should have a fair advantage not just those who come from "Elite," upper echelons of society.

Last edited by whitecollarboy; 04-07-2010 at 01:03 PM..

Old 04-07-2010, 12:47 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
I looked in Flossmoor. The equivalent house (to what I purchased in beverly) would have come with about a 14K tax bill. Here it is 4-5K. I'm twice as close to Hyde Park, the South Loop, and the areas in and around the Loop (where I do most of my business and shopping). The one obvious advantage of Flossmoor, and what made it very attractive to people in a position similar to mine, is the public schools. Once they are perceived to have deteriorated, that advantage is gone. Because of this I've noticed a huge shift recently in Hyde Park professionals (hospital workers, Lab school parents, private school teachers, etc.) from Flossmoor to Beverly. It's not so much not wanting an integrated neighborhood; it's the tax bill and fear of a school dominated by blacks.

Quote:
They are sending their childern to Marian Catholic.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I looked in Flossmoor. The equivalent house (to what I purchased in beverly) would have come with about a 14K tax bill. Here it is 4-5K. I'm twice as close to Hyde Park, the South Loop, and the areas in and around the Loop (where I do most of my business and shopping). The one obvious advantage of Flossmoor, and what made it very attractive to people in a position similar to mine, is the public schools. Once they are perceived to have deteriorated, that advantage is gone. Because of this I've noticed a huge shift recently in Hyde Park professionals (hospital workers, Lab school parents, private school teachers, etc.) from Flossmoor to Beverly. It's not so much not wanting an integrated neighborhood; it's the tax bill and fear of a school dominated by blacks.
BINGO.

Because, people aren't scared to pay a little bit more money for security and their childrens education. I mean it's their children. It's the reason parents take out huge loans etc. It's the investment of their future and this my friend is the MAIN REASON.

This is the main reason - White folks moved to the burbs in the first place. Especially, when the Great Migration hit.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:10 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
What is your point?

Quote:
BINGO.

Because, people aren't scared to pay a little bit more money for security and their childrens education. I mean it's their children. It's the reason parents take out huge loans etc. It's the investment of their future and this my friend is the MAIN REASON.

This is the main reason - White folks moved to the burbs in the first place. Especially, when the Great Migration hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs