Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 03:47 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,230,552 times

Advertisements

Any quaint suburbs that are not populated with subdivisions, strip malls, and SUV driving soccer moms. It seems like 95% of the suburbs in the Chicago area have no character or any visible sign of life. Anyone know of any suburbs that have a lively retail area and are pedestrian friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 04:21 PM

939 posts, read 2,392,566 times
Highland Park does not have many subdivisions or strip malls. It does have a lovely, vibrant, large downtown that is fairly pedestrian friendly. However, you will see many, many, many SUV's of varying sizes, driven by "soccer moms" and others.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:29 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,806,057 times
I suggest you move to some where you can find a way not to insult 95% of suburban residents.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:37 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,747,824 times
Schaumburg...just kidding.

Deerfield, Highland Park, Glenview, Arlington Heights, Forest Park, Evanston.

How much can you afford?

Old 03-22-2010, 07:15 PM

5,993 posts, read 13,218,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Schaumburg...just kidding.

Deerfield, Highland Park, Glenview, Arlington Heights, Forest Park, Evanston.

How much can you afford?
Schaumburg is actually in some ways uinique because while being suburbia, it acts in many ways like a fully functioning city with lots employment, etc.

Deerfield and most of Arlington Heights is largely subdivisions, strip malls, and soccer moms, etc. (Both have a small downtown.

Glenview has a couple unique areas like the old Glenview naval air station area. Urban-like rowhouses built there. Plus areas that border the forest preserves have a rural feel.

Highland Park is a great choice if you can afford it.
The poster did say besides Oak Park and Evanston

Forest Park is a good choice. Its like the more affordable little sister to Oak Park with good bars.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:17 PM

720 posts, read 3,018,073 times
Default burbs

What your trying to avoid is what 99% of suburbs are. If you don't want subdivisions and soccer moms live in the city.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:24 PM

5,651 posts, read 19,415,210 times
St. Charles downtown has lots of pubs to crawl.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:25 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,117,115 times
And actually, just for the record, I hardly ever see a single SUV in the suburban area where I live. I see a lot more Ford Focuses.

Last edited by urza216; 03-22-2010 at 08:02 PM..

Old 03-22-2010, 07:46 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,117,115 times
Is anyone gonna mention the south burbs? Except for me, no one has mentioned a single one in this thread so far. Just a bunch of towns I've Googled before and saw that they're located either north or west of the city.

Mothers in the south burbs WORK to support their kids..

Last edited by urza216; 03-22-2010 at 08:03 PM..

Old 03-22-2010, 08:08 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,637,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Any quaint suburbs that are not populated with subdivisions, strip malls, and SUV driving soccer moms. It seems like 95% of the suburbs in the Chicago area have no character or any visible sign of life. Anyone know of any suburbs that have a lively retail area and are pedestrian friendly.
Heavy traffic, buttloads of shopping, dining, many with thriving downtowns, etc, doesnt count as "visible signs of life"? And if you think 95% of the burbs have "no character", youre looking in teh wrong places or not looking at all. I get so tired of the STUPID generalizations people make about suburbs, it gets ridiculous at times. While you all are sitting in your houses in Chicago, many of us in the burbs could be sitting next to a thundering top fuel funny car at teh drag races in the "boring" suburbs. While youre at the same ol pub, again, I could be out here taking in a gigantic waterpark, plunging down a near-vertical waterslide at 50 mph in the "boring" suburbs. While youre listening to yet more police sirens and honking horns, I could be screaming, upside down, on a roller coaster in teh "boring" suburbs. While youre looking at the same ol' Chicago River, again, I could be out here kayaking the endless, clean rivers. While youre staring at the same ol 10X10 patch of grass in your "yard" in the city, you could be out here hiking miles of pristine prairie, filled with flora and fauna that you never even knew existed in the "boring" suburbs. Youre dealing with sewer rats and pigeons and stray cats, out here we have coyotes, hawks, snakes, etc in the "boring" suburbs. Youre walking the uber-flatlands, we're out here sledding down hills that look downright mountainous compared to Chicago.

Bottom line? There are over 300 suburbs, which are all unique and dont deserve to be trashed by people who dont get out and explore a doggone thing. Give some credit where credit is due. Just as Chicago has lots that the suburbs dont, the suburbs have lots that Chicago doesnt. All could be interpreted as "fun" in another's eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs