Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 02:28 PM

39 posts, read 193,378 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I want to get a new roof, soffits, fascia and gutters on my house in Downers Grove. The first quote is: $7,700 for the roof (25 year warranty), $4,000 for gutters, $1,110 for vinyl soffits and $4,300 for "custom" fascia. It's a tri-level house with 21 squares of new roofing shingles, needs two old layers removed.
The roof price seems okay, but everything else seems high. Maybe I'm just clueless... I would love some feedback to see if this seem in line, and I will be getting a couple more quotes. Thanks for your time!

Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 04:46 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,886,090 times
In my experience (and I have had to put roofs , gutters, soffit and fascia on about 10 houses...) the best prices on a roof come from some one that has a small efficient crew and gets done fast. The gutter are best done by guys that don't do roofs, as the skills are really NOT very similar -- both clearly have some overlapping skils (like being comfortable on ladder) but good roofers and good gutter guys often have very different kinds of tools / products / experience.

Some gutter guys are pretty good with soffits (as the tools and products are similar), but you need a referral to be sure, and depending on what kind of fascia you have and what you want / need that too is probably best done by the folks doing the soffits. There are companies that get everything from one supplier, and those firms might also make vinyl siding or aluminum trim, but what you really need is someone who understand the importance of how the product installation needs to be done to keep the home weather tight .

I have not gotten good quotes from folks that advertise too much, and the only real hassle is lining up the work to be done in the correct sequence / close enough in time. The roofers generally like to rip off the gutters and if you don't get the gutter guys lined up right a rain storm could mean basement flooding...

The worst quotes are usually from the jokers that work with major department stores or big box hardware chains -- huge markup!!! The guys with small family style businesses are much better choice. There are at least 4 or 5 that are based in / around Downers Grove. Get the number off their trucks or phone book if your neighbors do not have direct experience to recommend the best...

Last edited by chet everett; 03-17-2010 at 05:29 PM..

Old 03-17-2010, 05:08 PM

39 posts, read 193,378 times
Thanks Chet, very helpful advice!

Old 10-29-2010, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,717 times
Lightbulb RE: good roofing company near Downers Grove?

Charlotte,

Second City Construction is a good company I've subcontracted to replace and repair roofs, as well as other exterior projects like custom fascia & soffit installation/repair.

Their website is secondcityconstruction .com. They were great people to work with and get the job done in a timely manner. This is the kind of work you "get what you pay for", so be careful when choosing a company to work on your home/building.

All-in-all, it's a reliable [url="http://www.SecondCityConstruction.com/roofer-chicago"]roofer in chicago[/url].
Best,

Matt Makris

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotteh View Post
Hi Everyone,

I want to get a new roof, soffits, fascia and gutters on my house in Downers Grove. The first quote is: $7,700 for the roof (25 year warranty), $4,000 for gutters, $1,110 for vinyl soffits and $4,300 for "custom" fascia. It's a tri-level house with 21 squares of new roofing shingles, needs two old layers removed.
The roof price seems okay, but everything else seems high. Maybe I'm just clueless... I would love some feedback to see if this seem in line, and I will be getting a couple more quotes. Thanks for your time!

Charlotte

Old 07-02-2024, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 38 times
Default Comparing quotes

Sounds expensive to me indeed. But some companies let you compare quotes so you can get the cheapest option possible. At least that's how it works in The Netherlands. I just moved here and don't know what the standard prices are but [url]https://betrouwbaardakwerk.nl/[/url] for example has this option to compare. It's where my sister had her roofing done.

Old Today, 02:29 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,792,203 times
Check with your homeowner's insurance agent. They have lists of contractors that are approved by them to do repair work.

Get more than one quote.

A good general contractor will have sub contractors for roofing, gutters, etc. Look for home builders and renovators.

Everything is more expensive these days, cost of materials etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs