Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:31 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times

Advertisements

Is Downers Grove really a bastion of conservatism? I've never heard that one before. In fact, I think they split fairly evenly between Democrats and Republicans in national elections...

I'm not asking because I'm trying to give the original poster any trouble... I'd just like to hear more on this subject since Downers Grove seems to be a suburb with some actual character (like many of the other towns on the BNSF corridor). I know nothing of Darien, and have only passed through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 07:37 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
I think that on the whole the town is far from excessively conservative, as you allude the last couple of elections have shown a shift toward the the Dems.

I suspect that the talk of "church home" and such is from the "in your face" types that probably do themselves more harm than good -- I mean seriously the whole notion of ANYONE randomly asking about ones faith is a darned unusual occurrence for most people.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I think that on the whole the town is far from excessively conservative, as you allude the last couple of elections have shown a shift toward the the Dems.

I suspect that the talk of "church home" and such is from the "in your face" types that probably do themselves more harm than good -- I mean seriously the whole notion of ANYONE randomly asking about ones faith is a darned unusual occurrence for most people.
I don't think anyone has ever asked me about my faith in all of my years of living in Chicago. But I don't exactly give off a churchy vibe, so that might have something to do with it.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:13 PM

8 posts, read 47,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Like adults? Shocking that people in their 40s would act so.

I'll ignore the snideness, and attempt to address your concern in a, well, in an adult manner.

I don't think you need to be a sociologist to realize that many folks in their forties and beyond are a LOT different in terms of lifestyle, tastes, etc. than they were thirty years ago. And, I don't think it's indicative of immaturity. It's just a change in the culture that many would think is for the better, and has had many, many positive side effects; people being healthier and more active into their middle years and beyond is a tremendous improvement over heading for the nearest rocking chair, for one.

And, women not being relegated to the sexual ash-heap once they're a 'certain age' is another, and as a woman I can vouch big-time for that one.

You seem to have a lot of hostility around this issue--maybe YOU'VE adopted your parents' values unthinkingly?

Let me remind you that we all have choices; that's what liberating societal attitudes is all about. People should be free to make the choices that are right for them without being lambasted by someone who, perhaps, doesn't understand them.

Oh, and by the by...I worked at the local Kohls' here during Christmas, with a lot of conservative, old-school "adult"-type people...you know, the June Cleaver housewives and such...and they acted anything but adult. They were the most immature, cattiest, nastiest people in the joint. And, my manager, an openly gay woman in her forties with about seventeen piercings and tats, was a model of kindness, decorum, and fair play.

So much for the virtues of traditional "adulthood".

Old 03-31-2010, 03:16 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,075,201 times
A youthful spirit is appreciated. No need to explain yourself. I once lived in a typical suburb and found little tolerance (more like disgust) for anything slightly beyond very narrowly prescribed bounds of 'normal'. Never moved back. Lots of weirdos where I live now.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
A youthful spirit is appreciated. No need to explain yourself. I once lived in a typical suburb and found little tolerance (more like disgust) for anything slightly beyond very narrowly prescribed bounds of 'normal'. Never moved back. Lots of weirdos where I live now.
I worry I may have the same reaction if I find myself in the suburbs. I keep telling myself there are cool, interesting, open-minded people everywhere--if you make an effort to find them.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:50 PM

103 posts, read 159,549 times
I guess wheaton wouldn't be any better for a 20-something, eh? Have an interview there on Friday. Scarrrry stuff. Maybe there is some hope if I enjoy myself in Naperville??

By the way Kate, what suburb are you from that was more open/liberal?

Old 04-01-2010, 09:13 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,808,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zizu View Post
I guess wheaton wouldn't be any better for a 20-something, eh? Have an interview there on Friday. Scarrrry stuff. Maybe there is some hope if I enjoy myself in Naperville??

By the way Kate, what suburb are you from that was more open/liberal?
Wheaton is about as conservative/family oriented as it gets. Naperville has a great bar/night scene, arguably the best in the burbs'

Old 04-01-2010, 03:28 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,538 times
I do have a 20 something friend who moved to Wheaton about a year ago who loves it, and she's not at all a conservative church going. I think it's reputation might be more churchy than it really is.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I do have a 20 something friend who moved to Wheaton about a year ago who loves it, and she's not at all a conservative church going. I think it's reputation might be more churchy than it really is.
I think the college aids that reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs