Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 11:31 AM

11 posts, read 43,784 times

Advertisements

My wife may have an opportunity to transfer to the Chicago area with her company in the next few months. We were both born & raised in the suburbs of Detroit and all of our friends & family are here. We also have 2 kids (ages 4 & 8) in private school, live in as very nice, safe family neighborhood & have short drives to work. Unfortunately the economy here is in horrible shape because of the downfall of the Big 3 domestic car companies & things are looking pretty bleak. All that said, a move to the Chicago area doesn't sound bad. Trouble is neither one of us know much other than the city itself (which is great) & would be looking to live in the burbs. Her office would be in Elgin. I would most likely be in the city as I work in advertising. Where can we live that has good schools (public or private), relatively low crime, nice neighbors, with better than average housing ($400-$600k range) that is in between Elgin & downtown Chicago with a comute that won't kill me.

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 12:09 PM

8 posts, read 25,716 times
I think we'll see this question come up more often concerning Mich- to -Il. I have posted it recently. I use to live in Chicago and work in the burbs. Elgin is sort of a long trip to make daily to work. About 40-50 miles one way,depending from the starting point. If I were you, I would plan on living near the train system. You will notice the public transportation bus/train entirely blows away what Michigan has to offer. Not surprisingly if you know what I mean. Plenty of kiss and ride stations lets you live with options where you don't need to be right next to a train station. Be careful of one thing, Chicago " forced " plenty of gang bangers out into the burbs. It will be the opposite of what you are used to, not including wanna-be MTV gansters that still hide under mommies bed when things get rough. The burbs in s.e. Mich are relatively free of true gangs, while you seems like you can afford to move away from that in Ill. It's a great city, but it has some huge traffic problems. Small price to pay for the business/work opportunities that Detroit can't even dream of. Good luck.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. I can already tell this board is going to be very helpful. The good news is my wife will be Elgin but won't have to travel to the city. Looking for something in-between as i will most likely be the train guy.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:41 PM

8 posts, read 25,716 times
Please look carefully as Elgin has nice places as well as a big gang problem last I live in IL. I forgot if it is Metra/rail system, but they will have all the stops and you can plan from there. Buy a monthly rail pass and you will save on a lot of gas/toll expenses.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
South Elgin might be your best bet, but there are no trains that go downtown. Have you looked into St. Charles, Wasco or Geneva? Those are nice little towns (no so little anymore) and Geneva offers Metra service. A quick 15-20 minute drive on Randall Rd and youll be in Elgin. But like someone said, parts of Elgin are full of problems, other parts are quite beautiful. The town is doing a good job of cleaning up Ill give it that.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:05 PM

I think I'd rather live between Elgin & downtown Chicago. Any suggestions?

Old 05-29-2007, 02:22 PM

774 posts, read 2,496,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
I think I'd rather live between Elgin & downtown Chicago. Any suggestions?
Arlington Heights or Palatine would be good in-between points. They both have good public schools with access to the Metra trains for you to go downtown and I-90 for your wife to drive to Elgin. They're also both towns that have a good amount of housing stock in your price range.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:42 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,527 times
River Grove, Elmwood Park, Franklin Park and many other places are on the rail line between Chicago and Elgin. What'd I do in your situation is to hop the train from Chicago and Elgin and watch for some place on the way that looks like where you could comfortably live. Keep in mind that an ordinary house out that way may be expensive- the ones in the suburbs I mentioned are in the $300K range.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:34 PM

54 posts, read 270,851 times
Schaumburg or Hoffman Estates may be to your liking. Good Luck!

Old 05-30-2007, 08:23 AM

What are the thoughts on Elmhurst, Glen Elyn or Wheaton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs