Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 10:40 AM

4 posts, read 15,751 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I have done some searches on here and the info I've found is all at least a few years old the people looking have price ranges WAY out of our price range

Anyway, we are a young couple (no kids yet) who may have job opps in Lake Zurich (coming from Virginia Beach, but originally from the midwest). The hubs would most likely be working from home and my job would be in LZ. A short commute (under 25 minutes) is a must as I believe a long commute is detrimental to quality of life.

We would have a modest budget of under $300k for a home as we are just starting out, but would prefer to stay in the $250k range. We do not want "city living" but the ability to get to the city for culture is very appealing. We are more homebodies than partiers, but on occasion can be found living it up. We love the outdoors and can be found cycling on the weekends when the weather permits. We like small town feeling, but with relatively quick access to "the big bad city." We would prefer a small single family home, but would consider condo living if the situation were right.

So now that you know a bit about us, where would you be looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 11:01 AM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AB8559 View Post
Hi everyone! I have done some searches on here and the info I've found is all at least a few years old the people looking have price ranges WAY out of our price range

Anyway, we are a young couple (no kids yet) who may have job opps in Lake Zurich (coming from Virginia Beach, but originally from the midwest). The hubs would most likely be working from home and my job would be in LZ. A short commute (under 25 minutes) is a must as I believe a long commute is detrimental to quality of life.

We would have a modest budget of under $300k for a home as we are just starting out, but would prefer to stay in the $250k range. We do not want "city living" but the ability to get to the city for culture is very appealing. We are more homebodies than partiers, but on occasion can be found living it up. We love the outdoors and can be found cycling on the weekends when the weather permits. We like small town feeling, but with relatively quick access to "the big bad city." We would prefer a small single family home, but would consider condo living if the situation were right.

So now that you know a bit about us, where would you be looking?
It sounds like Lake Zurich is right up your alley as well as other places in Lake County such as Libertyville (about the same as far as housing costs) or Wauconda (somewhat cheaper and a little less affluent).

Right now, you could probably find a decent house in Lake Zurich for $250,000(nothing fancy) and I'm sure you could get a condo for that price.

Lake Zurich does have the small town feel, and there is an actual lake that the town lies along (the town was a one time a resorty place for Chicagoans in the old days). The lake can get crowded but there are definitely fishing and boating opportunities. In Lake County there are bike trails that connect conservation areas such as the Millenium trail, Des Plaines river trail, and fox river trail. Like I said Libertyville is like Lake Zurich, but without a lake, but also I think a "cuter downtown." Close by there is Mundelein (like Libertyville but a little lower on the income scale and Diamond Lake nearby) and Wauconda, (like Lake Zurich but lower on the scale and less "built out")

You can take the UP northwest line from the Barrington metra station to downtown. Its about an hour train trip from there.

Good luck! Hope this helps!

BTW: where in the midwest are you from? Are you from an area where there are a lot of inland lakes? If you are from close to other midwest metro areas, I will say the Lake County is a lot like Oakland County, MI, or the Minneapolis-St. Paul suburbs, in that they areas that are relatively built-up but do have nice suburbs with small town feel and plenty of nature and lakes.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:10 AM

Oh wow! Thanks for the info. I'm from the Detroit burbs (Oakland and Macomb counties) and my husband is from Michigan City, IN.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:13 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,719 times
People have been getting some relatively inexpensive places in Mundelin lately. I think Fox Lake has a small town type feel, and access to the city via METRA (trip is 1 hour, 20 min.). Fox Lake has a sizable lake, and is nearby Chain-O-Lakes State Park, which probably has as much outdoor activity as you can find anywhere near Lake Zurich.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:28 PM

Nobody else has an opinion???

Old 02-06-2010, 03:58 PM

I think people are figuring that your question has been answered.

I truly think that Lake Zurich will be a good place for you. Wauconda might be even better, considering your price range, and will also be closer the big Lakewood Forest preserve with bike trails, places to fish, sledding hill in the winter, etc.

I think you and your and husband will love Wauconda or Lake Zurich. I think thats why people may have passed up this thread.

Good luck!

Old 02-06-2010, 05:43 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Good point, mentioning the Lakewood Forest Preserve. It is the largest in Lake County, and has numerous trails, as well as the Lake County Museum, at least for now. The museum is well worth a visit, and has one of the world's largest postcard collections, although they are talking about moving it to Libertyville.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:01 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
I agree about Lake Zurich fitting your needs.You can take the Metra from Barrington for city trips. Waucanda would work as well.
.Another thought might be to check out Buffalo Grove. There is alot of different housing price ranges,easy commute to Lake Zurich,tons of shopping areas.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I agree about Lake Zurich fitting your needs.You can take the Metra from Barrington for city trips. Waucanda would work as well.
.Another thought might be to check out Buffalo Grove. There is alot of different housing price ranges,easy commute to Lake Zurich,tons of shopping areas.
Buffalo Groves OK. I grew up there. It really is nothing special IMHO. Kind of upper middle class subdivision bland. Its about as or a little more costly than Lake Zurich, without much of a town center, and obviously no lake and you would have to drive further for some of the better bike trails, etc.

But the public schools are great. Buffalo Grove is popular because if you are raising kids its probably has THE best schools for the cost of living in the town. IE: further east north shore schools are "better" but you have to be a little more well-to-do to afford to live there.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:27 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Buffalo Groves OK. I grew up there. It really is nothing special IMHO. Kind of upper middle class subdivision bland. Its about as or a little more costly than Lake Zurich, without much of a town center, and obviously no lake and you would have to drive further for some of the better bike trails, etc.

But the public schools are great. Buffalo Grove is popular because if you are raising kids its probably has THE best schools for the cost of living in the town. IE: further east north shore schools are "better" but you have to be a little more well-to-do to afford to live there.

Nope, never said it was anything special. I dont think it is either but it is an option to check out for one working in LZ. Schools were not a mentioned criteria for the OP. She also said condos were a possibility which BG has in their price range.
I said Lake Zurich/Waucanda as my first suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs