Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:36 AM

178 posts, read 601,875 times

Advertisements

We're considering a move to the Chicago area, want to have at least a half-acre, really love the idea of being near the water, but are also reading several posts about how conservative the north shore is.

If anyone has any ideas... maybe a quaint burb with access to a lake where liberals won't be drastically outnumbered, I'd love to hear from you. By the way, I know that Evanston is more liberal, but homes are also quite close together, right?

Oh, and we have four school-age kids, so good schools are important.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 01:35 PM

169 posts, read 550,478 times
I think there are very few areas where a liberal would feel uncomfortable or outnumbered in the Chicagoland area. I know the follow up question from people will be what your budget is for a house.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:37 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,956 times
I agree with the above. The area may lean conservative, but there are still plenty of people on the other side. Politics aren't very "in your face" in the area.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:28 PM

We'll need to stay under about 600K. I know that pretty much rules out most of the north shore save for perhaps a steal in Lake Bluff? With four kids and two dogs, we'll want ample square footage and my husband would be working downtown. He's hoping for no more than a 30 min train ride.

I'm just dying to be near water though.

Am I dreaming?

Old 01-19-2010, 04:19 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,956 times
As far as the Union Pacific North train line, the Wilmette stop is 30 mins from downtown on the express train. Anything further north than that will put you over 30 mins. Lake Bluff will be over an hour.

PS: You can still easily enjoy the lake without living in a "north shore" suburb. Glenview is a good option. Very nice suburb, just over 30 mins on the express to downtown, fairly close to the lake, and your budget will go further in the area. Schools are good there as well.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:16 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztoga View Post
We're considering a move to the Chicago area, want to have at least a half-acre, really love the idea of being near the water, but are also reading several posts about how conservative the north shore is.

If anyone has any ideas... maybe a quaint burb with access to a lake where liberals won't be drastically outnumbered, I'd love to hear from you. By the way, I know that Evanston is more liberal, but homes are also quite close together, right?

Oh, and we have four school-age kids, so good schools are important.

Thanks in advance for your help!
There is no where you will feel unwelcome as a liberal, but generally speaking in the Chicago area, liberals more often than not, are more interested in being where the "action" is. The areas with cultural amenities, the walkability, etc. are more densely populated, and lifestyles are not oriented around big yards.

The North Shore tends to be more fiscally/economically conservative than socially conservative. There is a strong Jewish population, that may also lean toward the social conservative side as well. You won't have a problem being a liberal on the north shore, even if you find people disagreeing with you.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the detailed info, Billiken. I had no idea that the train rides were that long! I'll take a look at Glenview.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:01 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
wait a second here. lakefront liberals is not a suburban term. lakefront liberals define people in North Side lakefront neighborhoods and arguably Hyde Park.

At one time, the term was used extensively in discussing city politics. Today, not so much. I'm assuming that gentrification which extended the lakefront money while diluting its liberal nature is the reason why.

the only place on the North Shore that I think is an extension of the idea of Lakefront liberal today would be Evanston.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:43 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,969 times
You won't be greatly outnumbered in Highland Park, Highwood/Fort Sheridan, or Deerfield, but the rest of the North Shore communities lean Republican. New Trier and Northfield Townships are the most strongly and historically GOP areas. I would say most of the area is moderate politically, but there is a strong emphasis on family values in the area. This is also the Midwest so "Chicago liberal" is far from as liberal as a "California liberal" or "Massachusetts liberal".

Old 01-23-2010, 10:08 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Wait, wait, wait... so you would basically skip out on a dream house in Lake Forest near the water just because its in a conservative town? Thats pretty pathetic. Who cares what other peoples' political leanings are? Its not like theyre gonna hang you because youre liberal, ya know? Put your big boy pants on and move where you want to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs