Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 01:23 PM

169 posts, read 550,860 times

Advertisements

We've been looking at homes/areas for almost a year now and are finally at the point where we plan on putting our place on the market after we finish our 2009 taxes (DH owns a biz).

Obviously the market is slow around the holidays, but when do people typically start putting their places back on the market? I know they say Spring is when things warm up, but can we expect to see a little rise before then? We just want to make sure that we are starting to see some homes that we'd actually be interested in vs. just those properties that seem to be sitting for the past couple of months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 01:42 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Generally speaking the so called Spring Market begins in late February and persists till April.

In reality, there are new listings each and every day. Depends on your price point and where you want to move.

Be aware that there are likely to be many, many homes that were withdrawn from the market with the intention to relist, come Spring, so you will likely see some recycled stuff , too.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:50 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
I have seen a STRONG correlation with WEATHER -- if you think about it actually makes sense. All the little tasks that people like to do when prepping for a move are HARDER to do when it gets crummy out: trips to pickup storage bins, trips to hardware store, meeting with agents, lenders...

Rarely do folks "flood" onto the market before late February, but there are SOME folks that will list in the first full week of January, them more after college kids are back in school, then more after Valentines and things build to peak when things really firm up after spring break. Folks that list after that may already miss some buyers as relocation people often like to have their SECOND visit wrapped up before school is out...

Particularly CRUMMY weather can delay things by weeks so that there is much bigger wave all at once. Unseasonably PLEASANT weather tends to accelerate things to some degree, but not as dramatically. I also have found that wet rainy spring weekends tend to make open houses very unproductive while a nice SUNNY early melting weekend in the winter can be the BEST open house season all year. You do not get the really worthless tire kickers, but you pull in some fence sitters.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:26 AM

Thanks, that all makes sense! Luckily I have the memory of an elephant so hopefully I'll recognize a lot of those recycled properties.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:32 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,650,631 times
I would say work right now to get your ready..clean, clear out and stage it. interview your realtors and plan to be ready by march 1

Old 01-02-2010, 02:31 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,467,131 times
Keep the home buyers tax credit in mind. If I were you, I'd find the expiration date on that and back my listing date up accordingly.

My guess is there will be a surge in buying to beat whatever the extended closing deadline is.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:01 PM

They have to be in contract by April 30th and close by June 30th. We planned on selling this year anyways, but since we are selling a starter home we figured we'd give it a shot a tad earlier b/c of the extended credit. Now that all the Christmas decorations are down, we're going on a cleaning frenzy and will be putting stuff away in storage very soon. I'm guessing we'll put the place on the market once our taxes are finished, so sometime in Feb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs