Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 06:54 AM

1 posts, read 9,579 times

Advertisements

After Constucting a 3 and half car garage and an olympic size swimming pool on his property my neighbor began complaining about how his backyard is always so flooded...he then built a garage sized shed behind his garage directly over his drainage easment {I'm assuming that all residents have easements. The sewer is at the far corner of my property so water is suppose to flow through my yard} he then hooked up hoses to the gutters coming off his garage and shed and placed the end at..you guessed it..at the property line entering my yard.
Now my yard is constantly flooded...Can he do this?...The case being that natural water flow is not the case here but the constant flow of water coming out of gutters...Heavy rains mean that I have a contant heavy flow of water entering my yard for the duration of the storm from his gutter tubes....Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 07:42 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times
Have you contacted your town's building or code enforcement department?

Old 12-30-2009, 09:28 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Basic problem is NOT the drainage easement, but the shameful way this 'neighbor' is directly runoff onto your property. I have seen instance of such blatant disregard for adjoining property and I have even seen judges be bamboozled by such boors hiring high powered attorneys to argue that such obvious misdirection of runoff is withing the rights of the offender. HA! Most wiser towns / counties have ordinances that PROHIBIT such reckless treatment of runoff -- it just makes no sense to take this jokers runoff and suffer!

The OP needs to a) research the local / county ordinances on their own and NOT let this un-neighborly fool get any advantage with authorities b) hire an experienced lawyer that will be able to argue strenuously to get this resolved ASAP. OP should also be prepared to pay experts in management of runoff (all good land use lawyers have connections to such experts) so that if this goes to a judge there is no doubt that the runoff is the neighbor's responsibility.

I really feel bad for the OP and I know that in northern climates such a problem is especially bad this time of year as it will result in having a frozen lake in one's yard. Not good even in warm areas, as grass won't grow in a swampy area and then you have muddy / smelly mess to deal with. Yuck!

Old 12-30-2009, 11:45 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Is this in DuPage Co by any chance? http://www.dupageco.org/emplibrary/S...ted%202006.pdf

Old 12-30-2009, 10:01 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,916 times
I can tell you that you need to head to your municipality ASAP. If you are in an unincorporated area, head to the county offices. There are definite zoning rules regarding setbacks, lot coverages and easements. Most municipalities do NOT allow you to put any permanent structures in a drainage easement. also, your neighbor cannot change something and cause his water to flow on to your property. Get on the phone or go to the offices in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs