Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 04:14 PM

59 posts, read 270,853 times

Advertisements

Wow, thanks so much for all the input! I really appreciate it. I will definitely check out Forest Park, as well as the other inner ring suburbs that have been mentioned.

Also, I'm not extremely concerned about the high schools... My children are still so young and who knows if we'll still be living in exactly the same neighborhood in 15 years. Plus, there is always private school should that be a necessary option in the distant future. Thanks for mentioning the magnet school option, as well.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 09:41 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhox View Post
Hello,

We currently live in Seattle and are considering a move to Chicago. My husband is interviewing for a job that would be primarily based in the Gold Coast area and I'm starting to scope out the suburbs so that he can check out neighborhoods after his interview. Also, the information will be helpful in negotiating his salary, as we'll know how much we'll need for housing costs.

The most important things to me are safety and limiting his commute as much as possible (I'd love for him to have a 20 minute commute - or less! - by rail or car). Other than that, we just want to live in a nice, friendly neighborhood in a nice, friendly community. We don't care about prestigious zip codes or school test scores. And probably couldn't afford those anyway. We just want our kids (our oldest is three) to attend a safe little school with happy kids and happy parents. We'd love to find a community that doesn't feel like a freeway exit or part of the city, with lots of family-oriented community events and resources.

Based on the salary range we've been given we would be in the mid $300-low $400,000 range. Of course, I'd like to be at the bottom of the range, but the top of the range would be fine, if necessary.

Based on these parameters, what towns within commuting distance do you think of as friendly and safe?

Thanks!!
west mont
lagrange
brookfeild(nice place)

Old 12-13-2009, 02:50 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
I believe only one of those schools made the cut as far reported by US News. Best High Schools Search - US News and World Report

I really do not know how one could rate "friendliness" -- even in towns with lots of neighborly events there are lots of curmudgeonly folks that you could end up on next to / on your block...

Old 12-13-2009, 03:45 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,308 times
I'm actually happy I didn't go to one of the best high schools. I didn't feel so muc pressure, and I was allowed to be around people I was familiar with. All this jazz about the best high school is crazy to me. As long as the child is safe and actually learning something, what's the big hoolah?

I mean, my gosh. Who cares if the school isn't number 2 in the nation, city or state?

Old 12-13-2009, 06:23 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,392,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I stopped reading when I saw Thornton in Harvey on the list

Old 12-13-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
I'm actually happy I didn't go to one of the best high schools. I didn't feel so muc pressure, and I was allowed to be around people I was familiar with. All this jazz about the best high school is crazy to me. As long as the child is safe and actually learning something, what's the big hoolah?

I mean, my gosh. Who cares if the school isn't number 2 in the nation, city or state?
some parents do. cuase it means that they have a better chance at getting into college over the next person. thats why so many parents in the city fight to get their kids into schools like whitney young and lane tech. And if that dont work some might just let their kids live with an auntie in the suburbs or use a fake address. I've known many many people who have done this. sometimes its based on the school but most of the time its just grades really

-mas23-

Old 12-13-2009, 06:37 PM

313 posts, read 596,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
I stopped reading when I saw Thornton in Harvey on the list
"College Readiness Index Not Applicable" Yeah, that sounds like a bronze

Old 12-13-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
some parents do. cuase it means that they have a better chance at getting into college over the next person. thats why so many parents in the city fight to get their kids into schools like whitney young and lane tech. And if that dont work some might just let their kids live with an auntie in the suburbs or use a fake address. I've known many many people who have done this. sometimes its based on the school but most of the time its just grades really

-mas23-
I had absolutely no problem getting into my choice college. I went to one of the worst high schools in the entire city. What was my ACT score? Let's just say it was in the high 20s. I did have a problem with financial aid, which is why I did not attend the college of my choice.

It's not where you go, it's what you do while you are there. It's something my parents told me when I was very young, and I learned to get what I could from what I had.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
"College Readiness Index Not Applicable" Yeah, that sounds like a bronze
No, I wouldn't send my toenail there to get clipped.

Last edited by deechee; 12-13-2009 at 08:26 PM..

Old 12-13-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
I had absolutely no problem getting into my choice college. I went to one of the worst high schools in the entire city. What was my ACT score? Let's just say it was in the high 20s. I did have a problem with financial aid, which is why I did not attend the college of my choice.

It's not where you go, it's what you do while you are there. It's something my parents told me when I was very young, and I learned to get what I could from what I had.
exactly, like i said its mostly just grades and test scores
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs