Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 11:52 AM

438 posts, read 1,699,335 times

Advertisements

So we are considering moving to the Western Suburbs of Chicago for a few reasons:

Want a house
Want a backyard
Chicago is overpriced and you get 0 land for your money

Here is the problem. We are a young couple who aren't planning on having any kids and we are trying to find a good suburb to relocate to. Our budget is around 300K looking for a 3 bedroom 2 bath. We are leaning towards Plainfield (because you can get a lot of house and land for the $$$) but realize it is mostly younger couples with kids. Or even Naperville but the same applies. BUT Naperville has great restaurants and such. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are city people at heart so love a good meal and night out and diverse people but also are homebodies and like privacy. I was even looking at Downers Grove and those areas around but they are older homes and more $$.

My ideal suburb (which might be a pipe dream)

Decent size house for the $$
Backyard with trees and roughage (treelined street but not necessary)
Close to restaurants and nightlife if there is any?
Close to Metra
Close or closer to the city then Plainfield!
Not feel like the odd ball couple with no kids

We live in Andersonville/Edgewater right now and would love the same feel out of a suburb if possible and actually have a house (we heard La Grange is pretty much like the above but it is expensive!!). Any suggestions/comments?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 01:03 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,058 times
How about Elmhurst? Lots going on and some would say public schools are its only relative weakness.
Another possiblity is Westmont - more affordable, lots are a little rommier, schools aren't an issue for you, you're near Oakbrook...

Old 11-19-2009, 01:30 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Westmont is WAY more affordable than Elmhusrt that is for sure!

The nightlife is pretty "down market" consisting pretty exclusively of "tap rooms" but there are quite a few restaurants. The schools are the least desirable along the BNSF, but not a factor for those with no plans for kids.

Very good Metra service. Lot size can be pretty good in some areas, and they the older areas have plenty of trees. More affordable than Downers Grove, probably not as cheap as Plainfield, but a very different feel.
Worth putting on your short list...

Old 11-19-2009, 01:42 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,646,444 times
We have lived in sugar grove for 22 years and we moved here because we wanted a big yard and privacy too. we didn't mind the drive to get to other things, because we were able to have a nice house, big yard etc. there are a lot of homes well below market value in our community. In the older parts of town, there are big trees. we bought our home knowing that we would not be moving and have been very happy here. your best bet is to get in the car and drive around these far western suburbs and really get a feel for what is here. Everyone is different and looks for different things when deciding on a home. the price cannot be the only thing.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:58 PM

All great suggestions...thank you for the input...Never considered Sugar Grove, but never hurts to look...A little farther West then what I was thinking but the area looks nice (online)! Also Westmont is definitely an option...It's gonna be hard moving out of the city, but the way things are going, it might just crumble on it's own! Ready for a change for sure....and land!

Old 11-20-2009, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 10,154 times
So, I registered just to respond to you as I fee uniquely qualified to answer your question because I grew up in Plainfield I have lived in downtown Chicago for the last 15 years. (My parents still live in the area and I spend a considerable amount of time there.)

Plainfield/ Naperville are fine......IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN. They are greared toward children. The restaurants are mostly chains or child friendly. (red robin, chilis, applebee's) If you go to the movies you see teenagers everywhere. Naperville was named one of the best places to raise a family by some magazine a few years back. Net/Net, I just think that you will spend A LOT of time in your big backyard by yourself because there are going to be very few other like minded people in the area. (As you said it, you will be the oddball couple without kids and, frankly, you will probably be asked frequently when you are having children.)

Have you thought of other neighborhoods in the city? There are many, but I have only lived in two zip codes since coming here and I am not the one to point you in the right direction. Although, I did bump into this yesterday http://cribchatter.com/?p=7795#comment-55953

Sort of close to your price point.....BUT you are in the city and when you want Indian you go to Devon and when Rick Bayless wins top chef Masters you can hop in a cab or on the el and head to Topolobampo......and there is night life and theater and Opera....and you didn't mention where you work, but not one hell of a commute. Hey, this post has almost convinced me to stay in the city and I have a baby!!

All the best..

Old 11-20-2009, 11:27 AM

921 posts, read 1,095,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner0325 View Post
So we are considering moving to the Western Suburbs of Chicago for a few reasons:

Want a house
Want a backyard
Chicago is overpriced and you get 0 land for your money

Here is the problem. We are a young couple who aren't planning on having any kids and we are trying to find a good suburb to relocate to. Our budget is around 300K looking for a 3 bedroom 2 bath. We are leaning towards Plainfield (because you can get a lot of house and land for the $$$) but realize it is mostly younger couples with kids. Or even Naperville but the same applies. BUT Naperville has great restaurants and such. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are city people at heart so love a good meal and night out and diverse people but also are homebodies and like privacy. I was even looking at Downers Grove and those areas around but they are older homes and more $$.

My ideal suburb (which might be a pipe dream)

Decent size house for the $$
Backyard with trees and roughage (treelined street but not necessary)
Close to restaurants and nightlife if there is any?
Close to Metra
Close or closer to the city then Plainfield!
Not feel like the odd ball couple with no kids

We live in Andersonville/Edgewater right now and would love the same feel out of a suburb if possible and actually have a house (we heard La Grange is pretty much like the above but it is expensive!!). Any suggestions/comments?
Have you ever considered NW suburbs? If so, please take a look at Arlingtin Heights, it will fit your bill.
BTW, is Gunner stands for a fan of certain FC?

Old 11-20-2009, 12:47 PM

Haha great post! I too grew up in Woodridge, then my parents moved to Naperville, then they lived in Plainfield. So I am quite familiar with these areas. But have lived in Chicago for over 10 years now, from Wicker Park to Ukrainian Village to Wrigleyville (yuck) to Andersonville/Edgewater. We have looked in Chicago neighborhoods, I guess my main thing is I want a big back yard for my dogs with trees and stuff like that. Kind of more quiet and private I guess? Don't get me wrong, we LOVE the city...I think it's just time to move on I guess? To answer your question my wife works in Harwood Heights and me in Ukranian Village so quite opposite directions...She would need to be more off of 294 where I would need 55 or 290 or something (or could take Metra) I suppose we are looking for a phantom suburb similar to our area where we can hop on a bus and hit up a good restaurant or bar, but come home to a nice house with a huge backyard surrounded by trees....

Oh and Top Chef masters was awesome...Rick took it home for sure! Now Next Iron Chef? Can't wait for that finale! That is another thread though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupbreeder View Post
So, I registered just to respond to you as I fee uniquely qualified to answer your question because I grew up in Plainfield I have lived in downtown Chicago for the last 15 years. (My parents still live in the area and I spend a considerable amount of time there.)

Plainfield/ Naperville are fine......IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN. They are greared toward children. The restaurants are mostly chains or child friendly. (red robin, chilis, applebee's) If you go to the movies you see teenagers everywhere. Naperville was named one of the best places to raise a family by some magazine a few years back. Net/Net, I just think that you will spend A LOT of time in your big backyard by yourself because there are going to be very few other like minded people in the area. (As you said it, you will be the oddball couple without kids and, frankly, you will probably be asked frequently when you are having children.)

Have you thought of other neighborhoods in the city? There are many, but I have only lived in two zip codes since coming here and I am not the one to point you in the right direction. Although, I did bump into this yesterday The Elusive Lakeview SFH Under $400K Is Still Available 7 Months Later: 3442 N. Paulina

Sort of close to your price point.....BUT you are in the city and when you want Indian you go to Devon and when Rick Bayless wins top chef Masters you can hop in a cab or on the el and head to Topolobampo......and there is night life and theater and Opera....and you didn't mention where you work, but not one hell of a commute. Hey, this post has almost convinced me to stay in the city and I have a baby!!

All the best..

Old 11-20-2009, 12:49 PM

I will look at Arlington Heights..thanks for the suggestion! Not sure what FC is, Gunner is just a nickname...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
Have you ever considered NW suburbs? If so, please take a look at Arlingtin Heights, it will fit your bill.
BTW, is Gunner stands for a fan of certain FC?

Old 12-10-2009, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,979 times
As long as you are comfortable with your choice, just enjoy your life and don't need to care what other people may think about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs