Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 01:48 PM

9 posts, read 17,960 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am relocating back to IL after working overseas for several years. We are looking at renting out in the suburbs. I have never lived in or around Chicago so this is all new to me. I’ve been looking through the posts for several days and I have to admit, it is overwhelming. There are so many towns and within the towns there are good places and places to avoid. I am planning a relocation trip in the near future so I wanted to check with you experts to see if I missed an obvious town or idea that we should consider.

Here is some background. Initially my job will most likely require me to travel so I am looking for easy access to O’hare airport. Due to frequent travel we would prefer to keep rental expenses as low as reasonably possible so we am looking for an inexpensive 1 BR in SAFE area. I’m ok with a rental range anywhere from $1000 +/- $500. (I haven’t found anything below $750 that looks safe from the pictures on the Internet.)

I would be traveling domestically for about 6 months to a year so we prefer something in the lower rental range to save money while I’m traveling. For now, my spouse and 2 year-old will go with me if I’m in any one place for more than 2 weeks. Our child will start daycare once the weather gets warmer. Eventually, I plan to work at our location in Warrenville with occasional work trips to downtown Chicago.

Below are 3 criteria in order of importance:
- Safety. I can leave the apartment without being “too” worried that someone is going to break-in the apartment or steal the car.
- Family/kid-friendly neighborhood (park, library, etc). Diversity would also be nice or at a minimum an open-minded community.
- Access to airport via metro or a car in an hour or less.

Currently, I have focused most of my search in the Western suburbs, inclusive of the towns listed below.
- West of Oak Park, Berwyn, and La Grange
- North of Naperville
- South of Schaumburg

There are a lot of towns within these boundaries. I plan to visit apartments in the following areas because these towns appear a lot in the postings. Is it a good representation of where I should focus my attention? Would you recommend other locations?

La Grange
Elmhurst
Glen Ellyn
Wheaton
Winfield
Warrenville
Naperville
Downers Grove
Schaumburg – A few posts mentioned the traffic is bad around rush hour so I may skip this town depending on how much time I have.
Aurora - maybe

Given the criteria, should I even consider some of the towns in the South/Southwest suburbs? Based on Google maps there are some commutes from South/Southwest suburbs to Warrenville and O’hare that are less than one hour, but I don't know if it is worth the hassle compared to starting off in the Western suburbs.

Btw, is this URL accurate for depicting boundaries in Chicago Guide to the City and Region of Chicago

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 02:51 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad46 View Post
...so I am looking for easy access to O’hare airport. Due to frequent travel...

....I would be traveling domestically for about 6 months to a year so we prefer something in the lower rental range to save money while I’m traveling...

...Btw, is this URL accurate for depicting boundaries in Chicago Guide to the City and Region of Chicago

Thanks
1)If you are going to O'Hare on a regular basis your first 6-12 months you do not want to live in any of the areas below unless you don't mind leaving really early for your flight in the winter and sitting in your car more than an hour on a regular basis:

Glen Ellyn
Wheaton
Winfield
Warrenville
Naperville
Downers Grove
Aurora

Now of course after that period of heavy traveling is over those locations make a lot of sense if you are going to be working in Warrenville.

2) No. Not for the city neighborhoods. It is close in some areas generally speaking but in others it is way off.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 10-27-2009 at 03:04 PM..

Old 10-27-2009, 02:52 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I think you would really regret going as far north as Schaumburg if your primary work location(s) are Warrenville, Downtown Chicago & air travel out of O'Hare. Add a lot to yor commute for no benefit at all.

Personally I would focus on the area from the NORTH edge of Naperville through the southern part of LOMBARD, as well as Downers Grove and Lisle on top the the already mentioned towns like Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, Winfield & Warrenville. Most spots in Elmhurst are not going to be close enough to Warrenville to make you feel good about spending more than $1500 - which is NOT going to go far at all, but a one bedroom that is safe should be doable. The big advantages I would look for are access to train (for hassle free trips to Downtown Chicago) and decent access to major roads.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:18 PM

21 posts, read 73,115 times
If you are going to MOSTLY work in Warrenville, with occasional trips to O'Hare, then you could look at places like Bloomingdale, Glenwood Heights, Wheaton, Lombard, and maybe Addison (might be a little far North, but has good access to 355).

Is flying out of Midway an option for you? That's further south around the Cicero, Berwyn area.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:24 PM

20 posts, read 53,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad46 View Post
Hi,

I am relocating back to IL after working overseas for several years. We are looking at renting out in the suburbs. I have never lived in or around Chicago so this is all new to me. I’ve been looking through the posts for several days and I have to admit, it is overwhelming. There are so many towns and within the towns there are good places and places to avoid. I am planning a relocation trip in the near future so I wanted to check with you experts to see if I missed an obvious town or idea that we should consider.

Here is some background. Initially my job will most likely require me to travel so I am looking for easy access to O’hare airport. Due to frequent travel we would prefer to keep rental expenses as low as reasonably possible so we am looking for an inexpensive 1 BR in SAFE area. I’m ok with a rental range anywhere from $1000 +/- $500. (I haven’t found anything below $750 that looks safe from the pictures on the Internet.)

I would be traveling domestically for about 6 months to a year so we prefer something in the lower rental range to save money while I’m traveling. For now, my spouse and 2 year-old will go with me if I’m in any one place for more than 2 weeks. Our child will start daycare once the weather gets warmer. Eventually, I plan to work at our location in Warrenville with occasional work trips to downtown Chicago.

Below are 3 criteria in order of importance:
- Safety. I can leave the apartment without being “too” worried that someone is going to break-in the apartment or steal the car.
- Family/kid-friendly neighborhood (park, library, etc). Diversity would also be nice or at a minimum an open-minded community.
- Access to airport via metro or a car in an hour or less.

Currently, I have focused most of my search in the Western suburbs, inclusive of the towns listed below.
- West of Oak Park, Berwyn, and La Grange
- North of Naperville
- South of Schaumburg

There are a lot of towns within these boundaries. I plan to visit apartments in the following areas because these towns appear a lot in the postings. Is it a good representation of where I should focus my attention? Would you recommend other locations?

La Grange
Elmhurst
Glen Ellyn
Wheaton
Winfield
Warrenville
Naperville
Downers Grove
Schaumburg – A few posts mentioned the traffic is bad around rush hour so I may skip this town depending on how much time I have.
Aurora - maybe

Given the criteria, should I even consider some of the towns in the South/Southwest suburbs? Based on Google maps there are some commutes from South/Southwest suburbs to Warrenville and O’hare that are less than one hour, but I don't know if it is worth the hassle compared to starting off in the Western suburbs.

Btw, is this URL accurate for depicting boundaries in Chicago Guide to the City and Region of Chicago

Thanks
I noticed you quoted travel times from Google Maps - these are NOT what your commute times are going to be if you are commuting during rush hour. Depending on what roads you're taking and how far you're going, an estimated 30 min travel time on Google Maps could take you an hour and a half.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:28 PM

21 posts, read 73,115 times
Also, here's a better map for you to use in your search.

Map of Chicago, IL by MapQuest

Old 10-27-2009, 06:35 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Chet and BRC recommended Lombard ... I think that's a good idea. Because you need easy access to O'Hare, you want to be near I-88. It's a toll road but the fees aren't bad, especially if you get a transponder. If traffic is moving at a reasonable rate, you can be at O'Hare in 20 minutes from Lombard. If traffic is slow ... well, it can really stink. But the last couple of times I've been to O'Hare, I just sailed all the way there. I live in south-ish Naperville, and what takes me the longest is getting to I-88. Traffic on surface streets can be awful, so try to live near I-88.

Here's a nice-looking place in your price range. It's not far from where I work in Downers Grove. I haven't seen this place up close, but it gives you an idea of what you can find in Lombard. Some areas are kind of run down, but others are nice. This area is over by Yorktown Mall and seems like a decent place to live.

Avalon Lombard - Lombard, IL Apartment Floorplans

Lombard, IL Neighborhood Near Avalon Lombard (http://www.avaloncommunities.com/avaloncore/nneigh.asp?commname=Avalon-Lombard - broken link)

Old 10-28-2009, 09:45 AM

9 posts, read 17,960 times
Thank you very much for your replies and recommendations. My original choices seem deceptively reasonable using the Internet to determine location and travel time. I would have wasted several days looking at apartments in those areas.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:59 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
One more thing. If you can, try to find somewhere with garages or at least a carport. Digging your car out of the snow is a pain in the neck.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:09 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
LaGrange is very nice, just not the best for a commute to Warrenville & O'Hare. Similarly I think that the extra miles you would be adding to your commute from Elmhurst to Warrenville would be wasted in your situation. (Though if you decide to stay in the area and take advantage of schools and parks and other family stuff Elmhurst & LaGrange value would probably be worth considering for a purchase...).

Becuase you are shopping for "basic accomodations" I would stick to short commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs