Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 04:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,530 times

Advertisements

Next year my husband and I will more than likely be relocating to Chicago. The last time I lived in this area, was as a 12 yr old girl in Palos Hills!

My hubby's workplace will be in Broadview. We've already been checking out real estate sites to get an idea of houses in our price range, but real estate ads just don't give you the low-down like a local would. For instance, we were considering HomeTown in Aurora...until I read all the scary reviews on this site!

So, here are the plain facts for your consideration:
1. we are white(if that's of interest) and in our 40's
2. we have no school aged children anymore
3. we'd like to pay no more than max. 230k for a home
4. car commute time to Broadview: 30-45 mins tops
5. want a SFH, no condo or townhouse, duplex would be ok I guess

Looking forward to all your suggestions! If there's any important criteria I forgot to mention, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 05:37 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,917,611 times
Despite price declines it still remains quite a tight market at the lower price points. If $230k is your ceiling your choices are not numerous. The challenge is not just something that is close to Broadview for com mite, but somethingnthat will retina value.

Brookfield would not be far closer than Aurora and have a better than average likelihood of retaining value...

Old 07-07-2010, 08:18 AM

45 posts, read 176,132 times
I'm in Churchill Club in Oswego.. They are still building single family houses starting at 200,000.. We like it, it's so close to tons of stores and restaurants on Ogden/Douglas..

Old 07-07-2010, 08:38 AM

In my previous post I accidentally posted that Brookfield would not be closer, and of course it is MUCH closer to Broadview. Frankly I think the OP would be nuts to consider living in the greater Fox Valley for a job in Broadview...

If kids are not in the picture towns like Westchester and Hillside are options.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,530 times
Thanks for your replies and thoughts.....

Sometimes, when you're only looking at a map on the internet, distances don't seem that far.....

For those of you actually living in the area, well you know exactly how far apart towns are and how long it takes to drive from here to there and that it also depends upon what time of the day it is.

Looking at the map, it seems that Oswego is just as far away as Aurora. But I will certainly check out this Churchill Club on the internet and also look at the prices of homes in Westchester and Hillside. I have old friends living in Woodridge...that seems like a nice town from what I read. We are also seeing LOTS of homes in our price range listed in Bolingbrook...any thoughts on that?

Old 07-21-2010, 12:37 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,878,029 times
I agree with chet living out in the aurora/oswego even bolingbrook areas isn't a good idea and would make for an absoute nightmare of a commute. In that price range there are plenty of options also in brookfield, stickney, lyons,..

Old 07-21-2010, 04:58 PM

Default Job in Broadview? No kids? Why make your commute hellacious...

Seriously there is no way I would look at Bolingbrook or Oswego or really anything west of Elmhurst if I had to be in Broadview everyday. If you want a house to buy look in one of the many areas around Broadview with less than stellar schools, as long as you get a fair deal and maintain the place you ought to do fine. Buying new and far would be crazy...

Old 07-21-2010, 05:12 PM

45 posts, read 176,132 times
Hillside has a negative rep.. The closer you get to the city, it's hard to find a decent town that is affordable. Elmhurst is NICE but very $$$..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs