Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 12:14 PM

5 posts, read 13,584 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Chicago next month and have rented a house in Buffalo Grove. My 11 year old daughter was accepted into an arts program that is downtown. Getting her to this program is causing a major (MAJOR) amount of stress to me and I am looking for feedback on whether its even possible. We would be looking at picking her up from school at 2:45pm and heading straight into the city. She needs to be there by 4:45pm. I think that is workable. BUT, I also need to turn around and get back to BG no later than 6pm to pick up my son from after-school care. Can a round trip drive me accomplished on the Edens to the Kennedy (I think that's how you call it), drop off at Randolph/Wabash and then TURN AROUND and get out of the city and back to BG by 6pm with some cushion.

Is it even feasible?

I am thinking it is possible, but stressful.

We test-drove the drive into the city twice and one day took 1 1/2 hours and the other, about 15 minutes less. However, the traffic exiting the city looked worse at time (but lighter at other times.) What do you think we could expect with the return trip?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 01:15 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Ugh. I can imagine this is stressful. There is no good fast reliable way to be essentially in two place at once.

Given that your daughter is 11 I don't think that it would be prudent to try and rely on public transit to get her all the way to Randolph&Wabash, and frankly a cab is not an option for an 11 yr old unless it is one of those specialized "drop off children services". Might be cheaper to higher a local high schooler or Jr. College student that is reliable to deal with the pick-up from after care.

The maps sometimes 'lie' as real world travel times are going to be about what you have experienced IF NOT WORSE as the weather gets bad. Relocation is not an option now, but maybe in the future folks will check this sort of thing out ahead of time... How about car pools? Anyone else that you have met at the arts think coming from your neck of the woods? Or maybe even a parent from the program could met your daughter at Metra station?

Something is going to have to give...

Old 10-22-2009, 01:59 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,690,032 times
I think you're right on--getting down there shouldn't be a big deal, but getting back to BG will probably be a problem. What about taking your son with you instead of after-school care?

Old 10-23-2009, 07:45 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
Search for other art programs. Do any of the Community Colleges offer? Many colleges and universities have satellite campuses in the suburbs. What about private lessons? The cost of driving and the emotional/physical stress is greater than private lessons. I can see doing it once a week, but more than that will lead to a nervous breakdown. I understand supporting your childs talents, but perhaps this program is better suited for her when she is older and can commute by herself.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:26 AM

43 posts, read 127,495 times
With winter right around the corner, I would say on snowy days forget it!! I drove downtown to burbs for 7 years in a row and it was unpredictable as far as travel times. One flat tire on side of road or cops that has someone pulled over, completely backs up traffic (Rubber Neckers Suck!!!)
But if decide to go with your plan "Good Luck"

Old 10-25-2009, 09:56 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,780,096 times
You can make it into downtown on time, but probabely not back to BG by 6. Not reliably. You should look into someone else doing this for you if that program is important enough to you.
I can't imagine doing this 5 days a week. That's a lot of sitting in traffic. A lot!
Is Metra an option?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:56 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,741,748 times
I think that under "normal" circumstances (as if those exist, lol), this should be doable. STRESSFUL, but doable. However, if there is a bad accident, major roadwork, or bad weather you are going to be way late picking your son up. You would need to have a plan for what to do when you can't get home in time. Between accidents, construction, and weather I would plan on at least 30% of the time or so not being home in time, and that's being optimistic.

Not to mention, I think this would cause a HUGE amount of stress for you and your family. Doing the commute morning/night like most people do gets stressful enough. Seriously, don't do it!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:38 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliead View Post
...Is it even feasible?

I am thinking it is possible, but stressful.

We test-drove the drive into the city twice and one day took 1 1/2 hours and the other, about 15 minutes less. However, the traffic exiting the city looked worse at time (but lighter at other times.) What do you think we could expect with the return trip?...
Just wait till it starts snowing. Then the fun begins.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:39 AM

286 posts, read 1,367,360 times
Hey let's be reasonable here - forget traffic congestion because of weather or accidents, don't forget major sporting events too! Any time the Cubs play, Kennedy in and outbound are both backed up at least several exists before and around Addison.

Having lived downtown for 10 years, I've learned numerous roads to get around in a jiffy when everybody else is stuck in traffic. The highways aren't necessarily always the fastest or easiest routes. Try adding Elston (but not north of Fullerton) and route 72 (north of Milwaukee) to the mix and you can consistently shave off 30 minutes to your travels. Except on snow days. Then you're screwed.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:13 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Eusibius:

The fact that there are SOME alternates to SOME roads still won't make up for the shear distance. Short of relying on a HELICOPTER the distance between Buffalo Grove (part of which lies in LAKE CO. for goodness sake) is going to make this tough. Even if the OP was a local and well versed in the use of GPS or maps there is just too much distance for this to be a long term viable option. It is also a FACT that some surface streets are as variable than the expressway, if not moreso, due to exactly the 'event driven" traffic you mention. It is not just the shifts that occur as sports fans want to get a Cubs game, there are also traffic issues as people in the burbs head to events at United Center or Rosemont or other venues. Heck even Holiday Shopping can add extra load to streets! (and lets hope that does not completely dry up with the doomsayers economic predictions!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs