Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2012, 07:28 PM

5 posts, read 31,558 times

Advertisements

I live in downtown (New East Side) and I am considering a job in Buffalo Grove. How long would the commute be by car? Google maps says it is a 33 mile drive and would take about 45 minutes. I assume this is without traffic and this doesn't seem that bad, but would I encounter a lot of traffic, or would the traffic be in the reverse direction. Any info is highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 07:54 PM

15 posts, read 26,603 times
DPaq, I drive in what would be the opposite way of your commute (94 into downtown from Skokie) and l see some traffic from about Addison through Tower Road (this at 7AM or so). After Tower, it's pretty open. However, your commute back into downtown will be a mess. When I was in grad school, I would regularly leave at 4PM to make it to class by 6PM. I would generally get downtown at about 5:45PM. Not sure what the deal is what the afternoon commute from the burbs into the city, but it's certainly not fun.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:05 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The traffic between Buffalo Grove and Chicago's Loop / Millenium Park /Illinois Center area ("new East Side" HA!!!) will be quite severe. Choke points getting from your apartment to the Ohio feeder ramp, then on the Kennedy itself, then on the Edens, then at the Deerfield Rd or Half Day... Figure about 55 minutes if you can get out ahead of the traffic in the AM (which builds rapidly after 7AM) and about 90 minutes for the ride as evenings are generally heavier (largely due to folks adding stops for shopping and such, along with delivery trucks mixed in with commuters).

If there is a "weather event" travel times (as happened this past Thursday) can double...

Old 01-16-2012, 07:19 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Traffic is pretty bad the way you'd be going, no advantage to a "reverse commute," in fact the express lanes go the opposite direction. There is Metra train service to BG, about 50 minutes, but the first train arrives BG station at 8:04.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:33 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
I know a guy that commutes from the South Loop to the southwestern edge of Waukegan (Rte 43 & MLK) close to Abbott Labs. If he can manage that commute, I'm guessing your commute to BG is do-able (although a pain in the butt).

Old 01-18-2012, 12:18 AM

367 posts, read 1,205,204 times
^^^^^^^^

Holy smokes. Leaving work on Fridays, I'm sure that guy could drive to downtown Milwaukee faster than to his place in South Loop, if he works 9-5. Maybe some other days of the week, too.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:24 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
Yeah this guy usually tries to leave early or late on Fridays (yeah I know late sounds kinda nutty lol) to make up for the worse inbound traffic on a typical Friday evening. Here's what you gotta remember though. The guy basically gets to the Lake-Cook Road exit pretty quickly from Waukegan but the traffic is real bad the rest of the way into the city. So it would be like a Highland Park / Deerfield to Chicago commute + 15 highway minutes or a Lake Forest to Chicago commute + 10 highway minutes just to provide some perspective for the folks that think Waukegan is in a different universe distance-wise from Chicago lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post
^^^^^^^^

Holy smokes. Leaving work on Fridays, I'm sure that guy could drive to downtown Milwaukee faster than to his place in South Loop, if he works 9-5. Maybe some other days of the week, too.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,969 times
It will probably be a good 45 minutes to an hour...BG is very nice..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs