Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:17 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,177,533 times

Advertisements

In a move that's caught almost everyone by surprise, the Cook County Board yesterday voted to decriminalize marijuana in very small amounts in unincorporated parts of Cook County. Under the legislation passed, sheriffs can arrest someone possessing less than 10 grams of marijuana on misdemeanor charges or simply issue a $200 ticket. The measure was introduced by Commissioner Earlean Collins who admitted personal motivations: her grandson was arrested for having a small amount of marijuana. Collins, though, made a salient point: arresting marijuana offenders is crowding jails. According to the Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/1678061,ordinance-ticket-pot-offenders-072109.article - broken link), she said:
“They got my grandson...he had a half of joint in the car. They stopped him. They took him to the police station. They impounded his car and let him out the next morning. Why do that? A lot of kids make a mistake, have a little marijuana, and they can avoid going to jail or court.”
Sheriff Tom Dart was caught by surprise, saying he expected a series of public hearings before the issue was brought up for a vote. Cook County Board President Todd Stroger was also taken by surprise and indicated in an interview on WGN Radio (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/07/stroger-hints-hell-veto-pot-decriminalization.html - broken link) that he may be looking to veto rather than sign the measure: "I don't know how this popped up, and I haven't done a lot of research. Off the top of my head, I don't think it's such a great idea. I'm not really an advocate of trying to decriminalize the drug that people start before they move on to the higher stuff." The Sun-Times talked (http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/1678061,ordinance-ticket-pot-offenders-072109.article - broken link) to Republican commissioner Gregg Goslin who opposed the measure and Goslin said, “You can’t have a patchwork quilt of law in every county. That law should be voted on at the state level."
Marijuana has been a hot topic these days in the state as a medical marjiuana bill remains in limbo in the general assembly - with a November 30, 2009 deadline - and U.S. Rep. Mark Krik, who recently announced his campaign for U.S. Senate, wants tougher penalties for more potent forms of marijuana.
Under current state law, possession of under 2.5 grams is a Class C misdemeanor (up to 30 days in jail plus fine) and between 2.5 grams and 10 grams is a Class B misdemeanor (30 days to six months in jail plus fine) [via General Assembly]. Under the new ordinance, a first-time offense would also stay off one's criminal record. 10 grams doesn't amount to all that much; would a $200 ticket really be all that horrible, especially given that Governor Quinn has mulled over releasing 10,000 non-violent prisoners in an effort to save the state money in the face of a huge multi-billion dollar budget gap?

County Board Decriminalizes Small Amount of Marijuana But Stroger Threatens Veto - Chicagoist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 09:47 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,249,929 times
yayyyyyy

Wait, what's unincorporated?

Old 07-22-2009, 10:04 AM

211 posts, read 530,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
yayyyyyy

Wait, what's unincorporated?
Where I live.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:15 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,968,230 times
Then charge a bigger fine to offset the costs of jailing a person overnight. Will they soon say that you can break every law by 'a little bit'.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:19 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,454,706 times
^^You know, man, a nice doobie might mellow you out a bit.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:22 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,644,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
Will they soon say that you can break every law by 'a little bit'.
Who says the law makes sense in the first place?

Old 07-22-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Who says the law makes sense in the first place?
agreed I never said it did. But the reasoning behind changing the law is idiotic. Saying that some kids make mistakes so lets change the law so when they make mistakes its not so harsh. Are we going to change the 0 tolerance, battery, and assualt laws so people dont have to go through as much trouble

Old 07-22-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
^^You know, man, a nice doobie might mellow you out a bit.
Its almost noon, I need a drink

Old 07-22-2009, 11:23 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,249,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
agreed I never said it did. But the reasoning behind changing the law is idiotic. Saying that some kids make mistakes so lets change the law so when they make mistakes its not so harsh. Are we going to change the 0 tolerance, battery, and assualt laws so people dont have to go through as much trouble
No one else is affected with this though.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:26 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,754,951 times
The pragmatic reasoning behind this is to cut costs by changing the enforcement of a law most people probably will turn the other way on, based on their own past or current behavior. It has very little to due with good public policy - irregardless of what you think that would be. They're hoping to cash in on fines and reduce courtroom backlog, which cost the county money. And scores of willing participants will head to unincorporated Cook to par-tay as a result. I can see the trail of haze leading from Bourbon Street to Garden Homes already.

Last edited by cdc3217; 07-22-2009 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs