Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 07:30 AM

37 posts, read 81,064 times

Advertisements

Though we have decided to put our move to IL from FL on hold, we are still doing research.

My husband is an Engineer and has a steady gov't job here. Does anyone know of some Engineering firms in IL... preferably in the suburbs though not necessarily? Also, other than Boeing, are there any other gov't contracts out there for Engineering firms?

I'm a teacher and was curious as to the salarys and job prospects for both CPS and the surrounding areas?

Thanks in Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 08:19 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,445,845 times
You probably do not want to work for CPS, salaries and working conditions are better in the burbs.

Chicago is home to Corp HQ of Boeing, but few engineering jobs of Boeing are located away from their design and manufaturing bases, which are not in Illinois.

There are, however, many other large engineering employers that have sizable presence in IL, from well known heavy equipment firms in the western part of the IL, to chemical /oil companies like BP and others, to food manufacturers, to constuction firms, and contract process engineering consulants. There are also some jobs with the various regional offices of federal agencies, and a handful of governmnet contractors like Northup Gruman.

The standard online site are useful, including USAJOBS and monster...

Old 07-21-2009, 09:16 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,730,612 times
Some of the suburban high school districts start as high as $48K per year, just as a base salary, more with summer school, etc.

The elementary/middle school districts tend to be lower, but still pretty good compared to other states.

CPS pays one of the lowest starting salaries of any school system in Chicagoland.

The NW, North, and West suburban (Cook + Lake+ DuPage) districts pay the most.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:51 AM

Default I think you better check your data...

[quote=chitown85;9871175]Some of the suburban high school districts start as high as $48K per year, just as a base salary, more with summer school, etc.

The elementary/middle school districts tend to be lower, but still pretty good compared to other states.

CPS pays one of the lowest starting salaries of any school system in Chicagoland.

The NW, North, and West suburban (Cook + Lake+ DuPage) districts pay the most.[/quote]

My data does not agree with this: Why Teach At CPS? - Teacher Salary

Champion News - Setting the Standard (http://www.championnews.net/salaries.php - broken link)

http://www.championnews.net/district.php?did=10236&year=2008&sort=salary (broken link)

http://www.championnews.net/district.php?did=10101&year=2008&sort=salary (broken link)

http://www.championnews.net/district.php?did=10214&year=2008&sort=salary (broken link)

Last edited by chet everett; 07-21-2009 at 10:05 AM..

Old 07-21-2009, 07:48 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,261,925 times
People get their facts wrong about CPS salary all the time. They pay very, very well imho. I've been trying to get a job here, but no such luck

Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 AM

37 posts, read 81,064 times
Wow thanks.... all that was really helpful!

When I decided to be a teacher, it certainly wasn't for the money so I'm ok with working in the city since I believe many good teachers leave, leaving the city kids with too many mediocre teachers (not to say there aren't awesome teachers in the city) but my passion is for urban kids so we'll see what the future holds.

As for the engineering firms, thanks... his salary will be supporting us alone for a while if all goes as planned so that part of the plan is vitally important! Thanks a lot people :-)

Old 07-23-2009, 09:44 AM

There are lots of "urban districts" outside of Chicago Public Schools. From the fringes of the Metro area where former manufacturing / industrial towns like Joliet, Aurora, Waukegan and Elgin have fractured urban cores to towns that border Chicago and have legacy of crime and neglect the region has plenty of places that would be eager to have the skills of teacher skilled in educating those with great challenges. If you have a passion to help those in a poor performing district that pay well or poor performing districts that have misrable pay and working conditions those are choices you are free to make.

The districts that have the lowest EAV per child and the highest tax rate tend to also have the lowest salary. Mostly these are also areas with high percentages of low income children, low parental involvement, a high percentage of non-native English speakers and other challenges.

CPS has many students and entire schools that have none of these problems, of course CPS also has a residency requirement for its employees which no other district in Illinois has.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs